Caught Speeding - New Rules? Any Advice/Experience?

Options
124»

Comments

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Geoff1963 wrote: »
    The village of Finstock, 10 miles North West of Oxford is 30 mph througout, based on the signs as you enter ; but it has neither streetlights nor repeater signs.
    Would that be THIS Finstock?
    https://goo.gl/maps/qZiHu4SLwqB2
  • Geoff1963
    Geoff1963 Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    Options
    Would that be THIS Finstock?
    https://goo.gl/maps/qZiHu4SLwqB2
    Yes it is, but my reply has to be at least 10 characters.
  • LABMAN
    LABMAN Posts: 1,659 Forumite
    Options
    Geoff1963 wrote: »
    Yes it is, but my reply has to be at least 10 characters.

Yes it is.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Options
    Quite a few 30 repeaters through the village...
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,754 Forumite
    Options
    Ah, but the reason I don't get caught speeding is because I pay attention to the speed limits. I actually was caught last June, and since then I've been paranoid about speeding - something the OP seems to struggle with due to basically not being aware of the limit or their speed. :D

I know what the speed limit is and when it comes to those that are (and should be) rigorously enforced in urban areas, at accident blackspots, and the like, I stick religiously to them (benefit of a superbike with cruise control).

Sure, out of town I may occasionally stray over 60MPH, but the main reason I own the bike I own is because I WANT to, not because I can ride around at 150MPH everywhere. There's tracks for that - my road riding is pretty sedate; that's why I tend to do most of my riding alone, no pressure to 'perform' that way.

@BeenThroughIt All You cannot educate the uninitiated. Your average car driver would never be able to appreciate the level of skill (and restraint!) required to ride a big capacity motorcycle. My father always held the opinion that that all those wanting a car license should spend a year on two wheels first. Of course, that's completely unworkable but it's easy to understand why he held that view.
  • nortong
    nortong Posts: 122 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Buy or get your company to supply a BMW, round here they seem to be immune from normal traffic rules and regulations - speeding, overtaking on the inside, tail gating all allowed by your friendly BMW. Aggressive driving - even better!!
  • BeenThroughItAll
    Options
    nortong wrote: »
    Buy or get your company to supply a BMW, round here they seem to be immune from normal traffic rules and regulations - speeding, overtaking on the inside, tail gating all allowed by your friendly BMW. Aggressive driving - even better!!

You want those open or wrapped? Salt and vinegar?
  • docmatt
    docmatt Posts: 915 Forumite
    Options
    Ah, but the reason I don't get caught speeding is because I pay attention to the speed limits. I actually was caught last June, and since then I've been paranoid about speeding - something the OP seems to struggle with due to basically not being aware of the limit or their speed. :D

I know what the speed limit is and when it comes to those that are (and should be) rigorously enforced in urban areas, at accident blackspots, and the like, I stick religiously to them (benefit of a superbike with cruise control).

Sure, out of town I may occasionally stray over 60MPH, but the main reason I own the bike I own is because I WANT to, not because I can ride around at 150MPH everywhere. There's tracks for that - my road riding is pretty sedate; that's why I tend to do most of my riding alone, no pressure to 'perform' that way.

I know mate and completely understand. I'm like you and I'm watching out for cameras/vans all the time. Paranoid as hell. I've always been into my bikes but the wife won't let me have one due to an unfortunate family incident 10 years ago. The car I do have though is pretty insane (summer use only). We find that it suits both my mate and I (he has the same car as me) if we meet up on a weekend morning at about 5am and we drive till about 7am where the only thing up at that time with a heartbeat are birds and rabbits. :D
  • BeenThroughItAll
    Options
    docmatt wrote: »
    I know mate and completely understand. I'm like you and I'm watching out for cameras/vans all the time. Paranoid as hell. I've always been into my bikes but the wife won't let me have one due to an unfortunate family incident 10 years ago. The car I do have though is pretty insane (summer use only). We find that it suits both my mate and I (he has the same car as me) if we meet up on a weekend morning at about 5am and we drive till about 7am where the only thing up at that time with a heartbeat are birds and rabbits. :D

Early mornings this time of year are about the best time to be on the roads. Not too hot, fewer idiots about and good way to relieve stress before work :-)
  • Geoff1963
    Geoff1963 Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    Options
    Quite a few 30 repeaters through the village...
    As MPs would say, "I withdraw".

Anyone know where I can get a Braille version of the Highway Code ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure