Caught Speeding - New Rules? Any Advice/Experience?

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    @docmatt

I see nothing in the second post that suggests a speeder:D
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,232 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Geoff1963 wrote: »
    I was once told that the default speed limit is 30 mph, so if you haven't seen a sign for a while, it will be that ; except motorways, which are 70, and you know when you are on one.
    You were told wrong: the default limit is 60, unless there is street lighting.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Options
    Geoff1963 wrote: »
    I was once told that...
    Not by the Highway Code or your driving instructor.
  • TeaRex
    TeaRex Posts: 52 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who took time to reply.

Im fully deserving of all the comments saying I need to slow down, be more observant of the signs etc. And I will. Ive already changed my driving style hugely since getting the notice through. (I know I should have done this since my last course three years ago, or since I got my last points before that is thrown at me) This terrified feeling isn't going to go away anytime soon!

As for the car, its leased and insured by the company I work for and I pay a small monthly sum to be able to use it for social purposes. Ive already called them to see how many points Im allowed and they said its as long as I have a valid licence, so up to 12.

Just got to wait for the offer to come back now. Thanks again for all the replies.
    June 2015 Debt - £23643 // March 2018 Debt - £1490
    Sealed Pot Challenge Member - 584
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,097 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Just get a satnav which will clearly tell you the speed limit on the screen and can be set to beep loudly if you exceed the limit.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Options
    pinkshoes wrote: »
    Just get a satnav which will clearly tell you the speed limit on the screen and can be set to beep loudly if you exceed the limit.
    Or, simpler and cheaper, pay attention to what's clearly visible through the big sheet of glass in front of your face.
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    Options

That's only as good as the satnav's database, its accuracy and how frequently you update it. It's better than nothing, but isn't failsafe.
  • GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

According to satnavs the limit on our road is 70mph, if you drove down it at 70mph you would be doing 50mph above the speed limit. If someone is unable to see speed limit signs they need to get down ti specsavers!
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Options
    GwylimT wrote: »
    According to satnavs the limit on our road is 70mph, if you drove down it at 70mph you would be doing 50mph above the speed limit. If someone is unable to see speed limit signs they need to get down ti specsavers!

So you live on a 20 limited dual-carriageway?
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Strider590 wrote: »
    So you live on a 20 limited dual-carriageway?

No, but for some reason on satnavs the speed limit hasn't been updated since it changed from a 70mph single carriageway, to a 20mph one way road with parking one side. Obviously before becoming 20mph it must have gone down to 60mph, but that never showed on satnavs either.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure