Taking it slowly, but doing it well.

Options

Comments

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Enjoy your style day, Wish and let us know how it goes!
    From me too - it sounds fascinating. I hope you get lots out of it.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • wishingthemortgaheaway
    Options
    Morning.

Thank you for popping in.

I was pooped yesterday! It was a good day - although I am going to need the follow up appointment (thankfully included in what I've already paid) as it was soooo much information.

I am 'autumn' colours. So rich, deep & vibrant colours. Brown is my black (black is out completely and Navy needs to be worn carefully) jewellery needs to be gold and/or brassy.

My style is curvy, layered, textured, sheen (not shine).
    Everything soft - no angles.

My current wardrobe is not great - the stuff that suits my style is mostly navy. The things in my colours are too angular.

Due to my body shape I need soothing that doesn't break at the natural point in the body.

So knee length skirts, not mid calf.
    No cuffs or turn ups on trousers.
    No bolero style jackets or cardigans and, due to my short neck I need space between my face and my clothes so polo necks, mandarin collars etc are out (not that I ever wore them)

My pretty immediate purchases are going to be Make up in the right colours (I should look finished at all times) (they've taught me a 90sec routine for 'school run' days.

A pair of good quality brown (in the right shade of brown) ankle boots - they need a slight heel due to my height - these
    Are worth spending some money on and I should be 'living' in them.

I need to do a proper wardrobe sort too - including scarves etc.

I will be back later...

Wish.
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • DrSpendLittle
    Options
    Wow, that all sounds really interesting and much more detailed that I was expecting! You have me curious now! I'd be devastated if someone said I couldn't wear navy. I practically live in it! How exciting to have the chance to rethink your style and wardrobe but I imagine its all a bit daunting too. And possibly expensive! I'm sure you'll do very well at budgeting a stylish autumnal coloured capsule!
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm liking the idea of a 90 second quick version :)

It *does* sound interesting - and a follow up appointment makes total sense.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • wishingthemortgaheaway
    Options
    Wow, that all sounds really interesting and much more detailed that I was expecting! You have me curious now! I'd be devastated if someone said I couldn't wear navy. I practically live in it! How exciting to have the chance to rethink your style and wardrobe but I imagine its all a bit daunting too. And possibly expensive! I'm sure you'll do very well at budgeting a stylish autumnal coloured capsule!

I think Navy is a 'winter' colour, but I'm not sure. There is a navy in autumn, but, on me it's not a '2 star' colour.
    'Warm navy' for me is a 75% colour - so a coat, suit, dress but needs 25% of another colour and not worn too close to my face.
    I need to have a look at my navy clothes and see what is warm navy. Some of my navy stuff has completely the wrong neckline for me too.

It is very detailed. Overwhelming so. I'm struggling with my style at the moment (via online shopping) as I'm struggling to balance the layers/curves with the fact I need to build in a waist. My friend has been doing this for 3 years and is more of an expert. Her and I are the same season- but her 'wow' colours are a bit different to mine. She is a different style though.

It is very expensive. £550 for the 3 step 1:2:1 all in a day session (my 'consultant' is doing a special deal where I get the follow up for free)
    You can do it cheaper, either by having another person do the day with you or by going to group sessions - but my timetable doesn't allow me to fit in with her schedule and, I needed a weekday appointment and most of my friends work week days.

I have been saving since August - birthday money gave it a good boost to get started. I've now got about £200 left in that ynab pot to make a start on the shopping. They say, try and put aside 10% of your income (net) to clothing to include clothes, shoes, make up, accessories, alterations to garments, good quality dye etc.
    I've looked and I can't manage 10% at the moment due to my other saving goals, but i have juggled to put something aside each month. They say that way you build up a pot to purchase some quality investment pieces like coats, boots and bags. They also encourage buying as you see something rather than shopping for an event. So, a bit of a mindset shift for me (only spending out on clothes at birthday & Christmas and when I've got nothing left. ) but I can budget well, so I will feel better for it.

I will keep you posted on my shopping!
  • wishingthemortgaheaway
    Options
    Karmacat wrote: »
    I'm liking the idea of a 90 second quick version :)

It *does* sound interesting - and a follow up appointment makes total sense.

It will take a while for me to get down to 90seconds....
  • wishingthemortgaheaway
    Options
    Morning all,

A bit of a crazy weekend.

Friday hubby's car need a service so we all schlepped off to the garage, got in the courtesy car and had a day out. This was an adventure Park to entertain small and then a bit of shopping.

I purchased 2 pairs of correctly coloured ankle boots (but 1 get 1 half price) one pair follow all of my new style 'rules' the others are a flat pair when I 'should' wear heals. But, I can't go from years of flatties to constant heels, they are very comfortable and I haven't worn trainers all weekend. I am going to attempt the heeled pair today.

I also found a bargain skirt (£5) but that needs returning as it's 'mid calf' length which is a big no no in the 'rule book'

I've also put in an order to an online tights retailer to stock up on correctly fitting and coloured tights.

It's so nice to be able to do this without worrying bout how much I'm spending. The money is 'in the pot' and now doing its job. I'm really hoping my consultancy money gets paid this month to allow me to do quite a bit more shopping.

In other news mop pot is up to £22.03/£100 (£500 capital reduction target) and today is overtime at work that I should get submitted for November's pay packet.

Have a good week.

Wish.
  • wishingthemortgaheaway
    Options
    Evening all,
    Did a bit of a mid month money shuffle this morning.

Submitted my expenses & additional hours - should
    Come to around £450 in total (I can never work out the tax, pension etc on overtime.)

Consultancy money has been paid (at long last!) I've been taxed on it - but that's just a bit more 'in the pot' to get a tax rebate on at the end of the year. Assuming I stay under the threshold - which I should - I'm at about £300 rebate at the moment.

I've paid another £100 off of the mortgage today, so the balance is now a nice, round £23,500. I've only got £93 of my overpayment allowance left for
    This year, I've already got £14 towards this amount, so the rest will come from my wages/expenses at the end of the month.
    Then, in December, I will gather all the mop pot money together and hopefully make an overpayment In January to kick start 2020.

I've spent a fortune on clothes & make up, but it's all accounted for. Christmas shopping is
    Going reasonably well. I'm hoping to get a good start on the friends/family children's gifts tomorrow, then there is a mass of stuff in my online basket waiting to see if Black Friday is kind to me.

In the tales of workman woes - shower has been fixed, everything else still outstanding. Boooo

Have a good week everyone.

Wish
  • wishingthemortgaheaway
    Options
    Evening all.
    Pay day eve.

I have spent A LOT of money this month. But all is ok.

I have reached my 10% overpayment allowance for this year. £2860 paid off the mortgage in addition to the money they take from my bank. I think I'm going to be down to £23,100 by the end of next month. (I'll know by the middle of next week) is like to get the overpayment allowance paid by the time the fixed rate ends in July, so, if I put aside the money in December - I need £287 a month, that's doable. Although I did have some low overpayments in the early part of this year.

My additional work hours for next year are not going to happen -
    Going to make my job difficult, but we'll manage.

Did half a day's supply today, that will be paid a week on Friday, won't be much but it's better than nothing.

Have a good week

Wish.
  • wishingthemortgaheaway
    Options
    Urgh. It's 5am. Pickle has been awake for an hour - horrid cough.

Wages have been paid wooohoo

Frustratingly, the mortgage balance is £23,406.19 and I can't pay off the £6.19 as I've no overpayment allowance left.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure