Taking it slowly, but doing it well.

Comments

• Easy wins have all occurred and another £100 has whisked its way over to the mortgage. My target is for another £100 this month. I've got £1.35 towards it so far - but this is the slog to the end of the month, Tilly tidies mainly until I get any income.

I've accepted half a day's supply for Wednesday afternoon next week. It will be paid a week on Friday. The shrapnel will be Tilly tidied to the mop pot and the round number (probably only £40 as it's an afternoon) will got towards the roof & shower repairs - I do have enough money in the house maintainence pot to cover these, but the higher I can make the pot now, the less I'll have to work towards topping it back up once the work is done.

I've been away with work this week, so I will be due some expenses money at the end of the month, but no overtime as yet. I have got half a day to claim for the end of October and I'm hoping that my consultant you money will also come through this month.

Work are looking to increase my hours (main job) which could make a huge difference to our monthly income and our ability to pay a larger mortgage. Hopefully it will be confirmed soon.

Have a good Sunday everyone.

Wish.
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • Evening all.

Mop pot currently sitting at £3.34/£100. So a looooong way to go.

Today was a nsd though. The first for a while I think.

Expenses for the end of October should be boosted by a work trip on Thursday (not going a huge distance, but every little helps)

I'm in the process of booking a 'style day' clothing colour, style and make up. It's REALLY expensive. There is a cheaper way of doing it, but I just don't think it will work for me. I'm also holding off buying any new clothes until I've done it, then I can buy the 'right' clothes and as another pair of jeans have worn through I need to crack on.

I'm £40 short in the 'style day' pot which I could wam if needed, but the supply money for tomorrow should be in before I need to pay it.
    I've been asked for the consultancy forms to be completed so I can be paid by the school, which I've sent off so, hopefully I'll get that at the end of October. - that money is already earmarked for new clothes - especially as I won't have any spare money in the 'style day pot' arghhh why do we need money??

Still it's late and I need sleep. Good night all.

Wish.
  • Morning all,

Checking back in with my end of the month updates.

Our net worth has increased by £1125 this month, our mortgage has reduced by £500 and achieving our overpayment allowance for the year is insight (I suspect less than £100 more than what I normally over pay)

Work on the house is progressing:
    The undercoat on the living room and dining room is done and all the woodwork stripped. I may get some more of that done over the next few weeks - decorator is still awol. I know us doing fit saves money, but it takes soooo long because of our work schedules. We'll keep plodding.
    Roof repair should be done shortly (this week hopefully) and I've chased the plumber (again!!!!!) about the shower. Grrrrr.

Next week I am booked Ono a 'style' day. I have been waiting 3 years for this (ever since Pickle was born) it's very expensive. (£550!!!) but, I've saved for it. And it should save me money on clothes in the short and Long term by avoiding naff purchases. I have some extra put away to start to revamp my wardrobe too - not as much as I'd hoped as I'm still waiting for some consultancy money to be paid (worked & invoiced in September - looks like it won't be paid until November now. ).

The ongoing saga of stay in our house or move...
    this is still ongoing, but we've found an area, not massively far away from where we live now with houses that tick all of our boxes, in our price range.
    Some are significantly cheaper than we thought we'd have to pay. These cheaper ones don't have a hallway though - front door/porch, straight into the living room. I thought I was happy with this as a compromise until a friend pointed out (in relation to the area rather than the house) was it a house that could be our 'forever' house. I don't know if it is or it isn't, but front door straight onto living room is not a compromise I want to make for a potential 'forever ' house. I've saved the search to keep an eye on things and we'll keep looking. Keep plodding on with work on the house & overpaying the Mortgage to increase the equity and reduce the future mortgage we'll have to borrow.

And just keep plodding...

Wish.
  • Morning all, first of the month and most of the Bills have been paid.

Mortgage interest is in - £48.95 or £1.58 a day.
    This is 2.5p a day less than last month. All going in the right direction.
    I've sent over an overpayment to cover the interest and take the mortgage down to a nice round hundreds figure.

There is now £293 of my 2019 overpayment allowance left. Im hoping to pay that all off this month then get ahead of the 2020 overpayment during December.

Roof & shower repairs have still not happened. Grrrr, but at least the money is there.

I did the gas & electricity reading yesterday. We've been using more than estimated so direct debit is going up to £100 in December. Hubby has been warned about excessive consumption of electricity and heating timer/thermostat has been reset to a lower temperature.

Not sure what else is going on in the world at the moment.

Have a good day/weekend/month everyone.

Wish.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    All sounding *really* good, Wish - and I definitely agree that very careful research is needed for a forever home. Great that you talked to your friend about the hall feature.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • pinkypig
    pinkypig Posts: 1,814 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Hiya Wish :wave:

I have been so rubbish at keeping up with the diaries- sorry :(
    You’re doing brilliantly :j
    The move/stay put one is a challenge but knowing you, you’ll think it through thoroughly and will make good choices. Whatever you choose, your thrifty ways have put you and your family in a strong position :T. Xx
    Original mortgage £112,000 . Final payment due August 2027.
    Mortgage neutral achieved August 2020 - 7 years early!!!
  • Hi Karma & Pinky, thank you for dropping by.

I am pleased with the way things are going. We are on track for our mortgage to drop below £20k by the middle of next year. & I have £10k in savings which could be moving costs (but this does include money I don't really want to spend so I need to keep saving until I get £10k in money I'm 'happy' to spend.)

Today I felt sooo thrifty -
    There were 2 pairs of socks
    That, for some reason, hadn't dried on the airer properly, so I hung them on the oven door handles while I was cooking jacket pots for tea. They dried nicely & quickly and I was able
    To put them away with the rest of the clean clothes.
    Also, reducing the heating times & temperature seems to be working and no one is complaining.

Have a good week everyone.

Wish.
  • Morning, quick update now I've had all the easy wins for the mop pot:

So: November 2019 mop pot targets.

1) interest added £48.95/£48.95 :j
    2) nice round number: £29.26/£29.26 :j
    2) £400 capital reduction £100/£100 :j
    3) £500 capital reduction £19.55/£100
    4) 2019 overpayment allowance maximum. £93.00

(It's actually £93.something, but I'll need to check what the 'something' is)

So pleased with how we are doing this month - lets hope it continues.

Wish.
  • Morning. It's my style day today...
    I really hope that I learn a lot and benefit from it as it has been very very expensive. I think it will cost me more today too as o can buy my 'specifically coloured makeup.' I probably will, this time, then buy high street after this.

Due a refund from a firework display we booked onto but was then cancelled due to a flooded field on Saturday night - should be through by lunchtime today.

All easy mop pot wins done - so it's now the long slog
    To the end of the month. Mop currently stands at £20.55/£100 (for the £500 capital reduction target)

Have a good day everyone.

Wish.
  • Enjoy your style day, Wish and let us know how it goes!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback