Options

Comments

• troubleonline
    troubleonline Posts: 65 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 4 February 2019 at 11:08AM
    Options
    Hi

Our shed/garden house was broken into last night and because we had it secured with a heavy duty, closed shackle padlock the scuzzbags just ripped the double doors apart. We are awaiting the insurance company surveyors visit on Friday to assess the damage but I think it is clear that the doors are beyond repair. They just came and temporarily boarded it up this morning.

Not sure of the value of the shed as put in by previous house owners 13 or so years ago though know that they did nothing cheap!! I expect it is probably around £1,500/£2,000 mark to replace (they did leave all their receipts so will check through later). My concern however is how that may make the 'shed' look if the replacement doors don't match. I don't want a patch job of cheap new doors on a nice quality summerhouse.

We have raised a buildings claim with our insurers Aviva but wondering if anyone had advice on what we should expect or push for.

They stole a bike but given the £200 excess on contents claims, unprotected on contents and £400 pedal bike limit we prob wont bother claiming for that!

UPDATE: The assessor visited on Friday and advised that they will need to make custom doors. He suggested that we stain to match the rest of the shed afterwards. I suggested that be part of the repair and gave him a panel off the broken door away with him to match it!!
  • followalice
    Options
    Saga is on point!
  • antivirtel
    Options
    Hi,

I'm new to rent a whole house, and I'd like to know if anyone used the Lettingshub's contents insurance policy. The price looks just a little higher than the others I can calculate on the comparison sites (described here: moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/home-insurance/#home ), but I haven't seen any of those calculated insurances covering the deposit, what the Lettingshub's can. Any ideas?

Thanks, Roland
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Just got back from Notts bs and noticed they are giving £50 cashback and will pay any cancellation fees. My quote was similar to the insurance premium I have now...... so free money.
  • Hometinker
    Hometinker Posts: 5 Forumite
    edited 2 May 2019 at 2:06PM
    Options
    [FONT=&quot]Following the MSE cheap home insurance search I tried the Age Co listed with an apparently Hot deal of £75 M&S voucher. Its a lot of a discount but gets dwarfed but exceedingly high quotes.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]With the quote from them £300 !!! higher than my current renewal (like for like) no voucher would persuade me to go with it.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Shockingly high quote so hope the £75 voucher will not give an impression that you might get a good deal there.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Hope this might save someone some time :)
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
  • Iwanttobefree
    Iwanttobefree Posts: 2,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Never made a buildings or contents claim in my life (am 54)

Got my Direct Line renewal.

Last year your premium was £315.84
    Your renewal premium this year will be £360.64

Mid terraced 1930 ish house.

Went onto moneysupermarket, Admiral gives me exactly the same cover (OK £100 more excess) for £127

I've obviously been a fool sticking with Direct line year after year.
    The way things are going, soon we are all going to be victims of something or other.

Who will we blame then?
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Never made a buildings or contents claim in my life (am 54)

Got my Direct Line renewal.

Last year your premium was £315.84
    Your renewal premium this year will be £360.64

Mid terraced 1930 ish house.

Went onto moneysupermarket, Admiral gives me exactly the same cover (OK £100 more excess) for £127

I've obviously been a fool sticking with Direct line year after year.

Do it through Quidco and get £20 cashback on this price as well !!
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Steveasp wrote: »
    My wife sadly lost the diamond from her tension set engagement ring last month. The item was a 'named item' on our policy with an value of £2800 on the policy. After giving Insurance company original receipt and photo of ring with diamond, they have now come back and said they will not process the claim as we did not have the ring valued every three years or have an inspection report in the last 3 years.
    I responded saying that when I renewed the Policy over the phone in Feb 2018, this was not mentioned. They are now trying to find this recording, but have not yet found it! This year I renewed the policy via the internet, so they have said as this was online it was my responsibility to check the 'Endorsements' section, hence the broker (Policy Expert) does not deem they’re phone operative is at fault.
    More broadly, their own terms do not require rings under £2k to be checked or re-valued every three years.
    Clearly, we are distraught, especially as they have completely rejected the claim and not even offered the original value or the current value which 13 years on is now closer to £4k.
    I recognise I have failed to increase the insured value on the policy, but can't understand why they do not agree to pay up to £2k in line with non-named rings on the standard policy. Would be great if anyone could advise any further steps I can take before I go to the Finance Ombudsmen?
    Please name and shame the insurance company
  • paddyandstumpy
    paddyandstumpy Posts: 1,486 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    Please name and shame the insurance company

Why will it shame them?

The T's and C's seem quite clear from what the OP said.

The OP says the endorsement states that Rings over £2,000 need to be checked and valued every 3 years, which wasn't done in his case.

It doesn't then mean the insurer should pay to the lower limit, and if they did, it would be exceedingly good service and not due to an obligation to.

The OP didn't adhere to his side of the bargain, so why should the insurer?
  • KrzyKat
    KrzyKat Posts: 3 Newbie
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi

I am trying to sort out house insurance as its due for renewal but I'm currently working abroad which means my house is empty except when I get a flight home every 5 weeks for the weekend.
    How would this be classified by the insurance companies? Unoccupied, just normal, holiday or something else?

Thanks for the help

KrzyKat
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport