SNAD Collection Only

Options
Emily_Joy
Emily_Joy Posts: 1,255 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
I bought an item which was listed "excellent condition, collection only" with a note in description saying the seller will post on buyer's expense. So I arranged postage and the item was delivered. Cosmetically, it was fine. Evidently hasn't been damaged in transit in any way.
I got around testing it about a week later ... and it turns out it is not working. The motor just doesn't start on a small appliance.
I am wondering wonder where do I stand?
It would be good to recover the cost of the item, if possible. The cost of return trip to collect it is about 5 times more than the postage, so I am less concerned about this... It would be unfortunate to go all the way down there to discover it is faulty.

Comments

• theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What did the seller say?
  • Emily_Joy
    Options
    What did the seller say?
    I raised the query on Wednesday and I haven't received a reply from the seller yet.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,285 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    This might be a problem OP. recently some sellers are saying that collection only items have been found in their favour so this isn't entirely straightforward.

You could try an SNAD claim ,but as it was collection only I can't see that eBay can force the seller to supply a return label, and even if you are happy to pay for the return I'm not sure how that would work in an official SNAD case at all.

If the seller was a business then the easiest way would be to request a change of mind return on basis of a faulty item received, and send it back, but if it is a private seller who has indicated no returns this won't work.

This might be worth phoning eBay about.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    You are covered, but it does complicate matters with the returns postage, although it isn't totally clear if you paid the seller the postage and they booked/contracted the carrier (if you did, then did you pay in one single payment with the item cost?).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee?id=4210&st=3&pos=1&query=eBay%20Money%20Back%20Guarantee&intent=money%20back%20guarantee&context=DEFAULT_SELLER&lucenceai=lucenceai
    What's covered

Most transactions on eBay.co.uk are covered by the eBay Money Back Guarantee.

Covered

Purchases are covered by the eBay Money Back Guarantee when all of the following are true:

An item isn't received or it isn't as described in the listing
    A buyer reports that they didn't receive an item or requests a return within the eBay Money Back Guarantee timelines
    The purchases were made on eBay.co.uk with payment processed through PayPal or PayPal Credit via checkout or an eBay invoice
    The items were paid for in a single payment, including payments with PayPal Credit
    Items collected in person are covered, provided all of the above conditions are met

I would ring eBay and ask about the returns postage cost - or try signing up to Paypal's Returns On Us to see if you can get this purchase to qualify post registration.
  • Emily_Joy
    Options
    You are covered, but it does complicate matters with the returns postage, although it isn't totally clear if you paid the seller the postage and they booked/contracted the carrier (if you did, then did you pay in one single payment with the item cost?).

I would ring eBay and ask about the returns postage cost - or try signing up to Paypal's Returns On Us to see if you can get this purchase to qualify post registration.
    I paid the postage independently.
    It is a bit worrying that the buyer has to take time off (and bear the cost) to get to the seller to collect something faulty and then go all the way down again to return it.
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    Emily_Joy wrote: »
    It is a bit worrying that the buyer has to take time off (and bear the cost) to get to the seller to collect something faulty and then go all the way down again to return it.

You made the decision to buy a collection only item and have it posted at your arrangements.

There is no worry for those buyers who buy an item and pay the postage the seller charges, or for those that collect in person.

You chose a different route and therefore you have to adhere to what protection you are afforded. Thankfully there is some, there never used to be....

Have you done as suggested and called ebay or signed up to Paypals returns programme?
  • soolin
    Options

You bought a collection only item, it's sort of the same as if you bought something from a shop on a day out. You get the item home, find it is faulty and shop says bring it back for a refund, they aren't going to come and collect it from you.

As theonlywayisup says, if you had bought this from a standard auction where seller posted it out to you then the return would be simple.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Emily_Joy
    Options
    soolin wrote: »
    You bought a collection only item, it's sort of the same as if you bought something from a shop on a day out. You get the item home, find it is faulty and shop says bring it back for a refund, they aren't going to come and collect it from you..
    Thank you for taking time to explain this to me. I think I have been lucky for years - it never occurred to me that it is possible to state "excellent condition" when the item doesn't work.
  • soolin
    Options
    Thank you for taking time to explain this to me. I think I have been lucky for years - it never occurred to me that it is possible to state "excellent condition" when the item doesn't work.

It isn't possible, if you read back through the thread no one has suggested that is the case. The issue is that it was a collection only item, which complicates the return issue.

Hopefully you managed to speak to eBay today as has been advised as they should have been able to suggest a way round this.
  • Emily_Joy
    Options
    soolin wrote: »
    It isn't possible, if you read back through the thread no one has suggested that is the case. The issue is that it was a collection only item, which complicates the return issue.

Hopefully you managed to speak to eBay today as has been advised as they should have been able to suggest a way round this.
    I've actually spent the day marking students' exams. I will try later this week.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure