Options
2»

Comments

• theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Emily_Joy wrote: »
    I've actually spent the day marking students' exams. I will try later this week.

Don't dally, you get a finite amount of time to open a claim.
  • Emily_Joy
    Emily_Joy Posts: 1,257 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    soolin wrote: »
    It isn't possible, if you read back through the thread no one has suggested that is the case.
    I was thinking about the moral part. It is a bit irresponsible to list an item as "excellent condition" without testing it.

I've chatted to eBay today and was reassured that the return postage will have to be paid by seller. The support did open the NAD case for me, so now waiting.
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,706 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I was thinking about the moral part. It is a bit irresponsible to list an item as "excellent condition" without testing it.

I've chatted to eBay today and was reassured that the return postage will have to be paid by seller. The support did open the NAD case for me, so now waiting.

As a seller of a collection-only item I would expect any buyer with an ounce of common sense to ask for it to be tested whilst collecting it.
    As a buyer of anything electrical or mechanical, if the listing doesn't state one way or the other then I always ask the question 'does it work' before bidding or buying.
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,537 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Thank you for taking time to explain this to me. I think I have been lucky for years - it never occurred to me that it is possible to state "excellent condition" when the item doesn't work.
    Having been in this position as a seller - it is possible for an electrical item to be working and in excellent condition at the time of listing or indeed at time of despatch but have been invisibly damaged in transit e.g.. internal connection shaken loose.
    mgdavid wrote: »
    As a seller of a collection-only item I would expect any buyer with an ounce of common sense to ask for it to be tested whilst collecting it.
    When I got caught in this situation, I offered that to the buyer and he declined. He raised a SNAD a couple of weeks later and eBay found for me - on the basis that the item might have been damaged by him or his mate with a van who picked it up.

So it could go either way depending on the mood of the eBay rep at the time or whether the seller can detect the fault and fix or try and claim from the carrier.

Good Luck!
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure