Topcashback [Edited by ForumTeam]

Options

Comments

• POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I am surprised this thread is still running.

It should of been closed a long time ago.
  • hpuse
    hpuse Posts: 1,117 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well said and agree with your theory below.
    Lot of average Joe folks fall for cash-back schemes because they see the words cash & back separately.

accorian wrote: »
    Of course it's not a scam. It's a very large, massively profitable enterprise (use WebCheck to call up its Annual Reports filed at Companies House) which depends for its existence on the stupidity of consumers whose grasp of the English language is so inadequate that they can't tell the difference between the words 'discount' and 'rebate'. Instead, they accept -- as Gospel-- the word 'cashback', as if it always had a legitimate meaning and was not a silly Americanism dreamt up long ago by car dealers across the Pond.

In practice, the, er, 'cashback' model is that you, as consumer, fork out lots of your own money for something you may or may not necessarily need, in order to get back *some* of that money . . . but only if the 'cashback process' actually works and your cash isn't mysteriously snaffled by some other party on its way back to you.

The cashback model also works well for intermediaries who can hang onto the money you've forked out for many a month if they feel like it, earning interest on those funds day by day. Don't complain, as a half witted consumer, about the fact that you were stupid enough to hand over that money in the first place; it was your decision, you were not obliged to buy a product or service via a 'cashback' website.

In practice, I've always done better with getting a discount at the time of purchase than some money back at some stage -- weeks, months, years, whenever: who knows? -- after purchase.

But hey: good luck to Top Cashback. Clever idea, and not a scam.

Just as long as there are enough suckers out there to fall for the 'cashback' concept, then no wonder its annual accounts report £millions in profit whilst many of its users live in increasingly desperate hope of ever getting back some of their own money amidst a slew of idiotic explanations and justifications -- "failed to track" or a third party didn't perform as it should've done, etc etc ad nauseum.
  • accorian
    accorian Posts: 98 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    hpuse wrote: »
    Well said and agree with your theory below.
    Lot of average Joe folks fall for cash-back schemes because they see the words cash & back separately.

The English language has been so assiduously corrupted by operators and fans of these schemes that I regularly come across -- on threads like this one -- mention of the word "earn", or "earned" or "earnings" . . . as if the poster has actually gained something financially tangible (as would be the case of remuneration for a job.)

But a cash back scheme isn't any kind of "job" and doesn't entail any kind of "work" other than the hours that might be spent chasing up missing "earnings".

Absolutely nothing in a cashback scheme is ever earned. If I spend £10 of my own money and eventually get a £2 rebate, then that's not £2 "earned" but £2 rebated, a system that's been extant for many a year and has never required tracking or affiliates or all the other nonsense that makes cashback schemes so profitable for those who run 'em.

Like Poppy though, I do think the 'Top Cashback' threads and allegations of scamming have had their day on MSE. These tarted-up 'rebate' schemes clearly impress some people but not others. Fair enough.
  • Click34
    Options
    I am having problems with TopCashback aswell. This is not an isolated incident, many people are having problems, some have waited 12 months for payment.
    I have waited over 9 weeks for my cashback from TopCashback, item purchased from Game UK.
    Email after email, promise after promise.
    Told that the payment would be processed and paid in 9 weeks maximum, it still hasn't been processed or paid!

I emailed them recently and received an email, it was obvious they had not even read my email and just sent a none relevant email back. All they keep saying is "be patient."

This company is advertising cashback and making false statements and promises! I think it is about time something is done about this company. I am going to start the process and see what can be done about this company. I am going to contact Martin and ask him for advice.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Click34 wrote: »
    This company is advertising cashback and making false statements and promises!

6.5 You acknowledge that the retailer or it’s tracking agency’s decision is final in relation to the payment of commission to us and in turn, our decision is final in relation to paying Cashback to you. We will make all reasonable endeavors to secure the payment of commission on a transaction but we do not and cannot make any guarantee in this regard. In the event we do not receive the expected commission for a transaction for whatever reason, we will not be liable to pay the relevant Cashback to you.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    What email address can I reach topcashback on?
  • powerful_Rogue
    Options
    auk95 said:
    What email address can I reach topcashback on?
    https://www.topcashback.co.uk/contact

• Davedave
    Options
    I have had enough... that's several times they've refused to pay out... had a complaint open for 7 months. Used topcashback for insurance and the vendor is 'unable to trace the purchase' !!!!!!. 
    It's more trouble than it's worth. Beware.
    I won't be using topcashback again.
  • mattyprice4004
    Options
    Davedave said:
    I have had enough... that's several times they've refused to pay out... had a complaint open for 7 months. Used topcashback for insurance and the vendor is 'unable to trace the purchase' !!!!!!. 
    It's more trouble than it's worth. Beware.
    I won't be using topcashback again.
    That’s a shame, I’ve had a heck of a lot through TCB and not had an issue like that yet.

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    No problem with TCB in my view, same with Quidco.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback