Tax Free Savings Guide

Options
Hi!

This is the discussion thread for the

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks folks,

MSE Helen

Comments

• bristolleedsfan
    bristolleedsfan Posts: 12,092 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 2 April 2015 at 7:06PM
    Options
    [FONT=&quot]http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/tax-free-savings?_ga=1.160952373.909080728.1427992360 [/FONT]

"Then, from next April, the personal savings allowance will supersede these tax-free savings rules, BUT anyone who qualifies under these tax-free savings rules will get a higher £2,000 personal savings allowance for that year, instead of the £1,000 that will apply for other basic-rate taxpayers"

[FONT=&quot]Have I missed something :huh:
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/414026/Savings_factographic_final.pdf[/FONT]

"That means from April 2016, you won’t have to
    pay tax on your interest if your taxable income is
    less than 16,800"
  • Vortigern
    Vortigern Posts: 3,243 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The article fails to mention the HMRC form R85 procedure, where to get the form and where to send it. It doesn't mention that some banks have their own version of this form and some banks, like Santander, allow you to register online for untaxed interest.
  • esmediaz
    esmediaz Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    Do student loan maintenance allowances, career development loans or PhD stipends count towards the savings threshold or are they considered tax free? They're not subject to income tax, so perhaps aren't really designated as "earnings."
  • jsknight100
    Options
    Does anyone know if a annuity counts as savings interest? I earn just over the tax free amount under the new rules can I register to have my annuity interest paid gross?
  • KGriff
    KGriff Posts: 185 Forumite
    edited 16 April 2015 at 7:52AM
    Options
    Jsknight100,
    I would think the annuity is in fact income rather than savings, so my thoughts are that the money from that is in the realms of your personal tax allowance, i.e. £10,600 for a basic tax payer.

I very much doubt that it would be seen as savings .. It is pension income. You would take the gross amount of the income from the annuity plus the gross interest amount from any savings that you have (excluding ISA's as they are tax exempt anyway) and once you have a total combined figure, you can then work out exactly what you are eligible to claim.

If the total is under £15,600 then you will not pay any tax on your savings, but if the annuity income is over £10,600 (or whatever your personal allowance is for this tax year) then you will pay income tax on that annuity income, as per normal income earnings.

I have tried to explain it here in simple terms, but there are more complicated issues where the total falls between £10,600 and £15,600 and the savings interest takes you just over the £15,600 limit... In which case you end up paying tax on all the savings interest, but can claim a proportion of it back (on a sliding scale) at the end of the Financial year.

Note it has to be the savings account interest that takes you over the £15,600 threshold and your income still needs to be below the 2015/16 personal allowance of £10,600.

Let's just try to keep it simple at this stage though. It could be more complicated if the annuity is index linked and it increases part way through the financial year because you have to include those increases in your calculation of the totals.

That's how I view it from the articles I have read.
  • BianchiMonoQ
    Options
    Does interest from P2P lending (Zopa, Ratesetter, etc) count as savings interest in this context? Rang HMRC today and they couldn't give a definitive response.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,622 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Does interest from P2P lending (Zopa, Ratesetter, etc) count as savings interest in this context? Rang HMRC today and they couldn't give a definitive response.

That's probably not surprising as the law hasn't even been implemented yet.

I would expect it to qualify but until the proposal is passed into law then you won't know for sure.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • KGriff
    KGriff Posts: 185 Forumite
    Options
    jimjames wrote: »
    That's probably not surprising as the law hasn't even been implemented yet.

I would expect it to qualify but until the proposal is passed into law then you won't know for sure.

I agree with jimjames.

George Osborne, the Chancellor, announced in the Budget that peer-to-peer lending would be allowed within ISA'S for the first time. That means consumers could invest up to £15,240, the new annual Isa allowance, via peer-to-peer lending platforms (Zopa etc.) without paying tax on any gains.

So if the P2P lending is outside an ISA shelter, the interest earned, I believe, will count toward the personal savings allowance. If it's inside these new ISA's, then obviously it won't play a part.

However it seems the full precise details are yet to be published.
  • hillybilly22
    hillybilly22 Posts: 236 Forumite
    Options
    apologies if this has already been covered... with the new rules from april 15 I needn't pay tax on my savings. does anyone know whether i can claim back the interest I've already paid this financial year to date, and if so how? thanks
    Ageing is inevitable - maturing is optional :p
  • bob_a_builder
    bob_a_builder Posts: 2,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    with the new rules from april 15 I needn't pay tax on my savings.
    Why not, every one else will !
    I think you mean from April 16 ?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport