PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Am I cursed?

Options
4 times this week i arrange viewings only for them to sell within hours. And this keeps happening to me. And then when i do see a house & make and offer it's never accepted.
Should have given that old gypsy lady some silver for my fortune instead of telling her i wanted a cheese melt from gregs.

How do i lift the curse?

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Are you registered with those agents?

I'm finding there are, say, 50 agents selling houses... and I only phone/register when I want to view one.

If you're registered they email you before it goes online. As I am a cash buyer I've even had calls.

I viewed one last month and rejected it four days before they got it online... if I'd wanted it it'd have appeared online as already sold!

I don't want to register with every agent though, that's a pain in the butt as you'd get inundated with stuff...

But they're not playing the game... there are people like me who do get an early call, before it goes online.

Sometimes I even get to know about things they might be about to sign up... before the seller's even agreed to sell!

You're not cursed. They just don't care - their job is just to find a buyer ... so they'd prefer to get one soonest/with the least effort.

Also, people like me will make an instant yes/no decision at a viewing as we've been waiting/viewing so long we instantly know when we've finally found one "that will have to do" because we're tired of not finding one... I'll know within 10 seconds of walking in if I'm going to offer immediately.
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Interesting conundrum

There’s loads of buyers who post on here who can’t find anywhere to buy.
    There’s loads of sellers who can’t find any buyers, even when they keep dropping the price.

Perhaps we should get them together? ;)
  • HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,480 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Lift the curse by being quicker.

Call and say you are available within the hour and can they squeeze you in. Shows you are keen but they should then seek the next available slot.

What aren't your offers being accepted. Too low? Not in a position to proceed?

Ask for feedback
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,514 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I take it that the market is good in your area? That’s just the way it was here in London during the bubble.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 15 December 2019 at 9:29AM
    Options
    Murphybear wrote: »

There’s loads of buyers who post on here who can’t find anywhere to buy.
    There’s loads of sellers who can’t find any buyers, even when they keep dropping the price.
    Yes, but the ones who can't sell have a house with a down-side they're failing to recognise in the price, while those that sell mega-quick may be in places like Sheffield, where there's high demand and too little coming on the market to meet it.

Geographically separate.

I agree with registering and physically visiting agents. Get the chance of those that are 'under the counter' for one reason or another.
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It's not a curse; you just have good taste in housing. What you like, everybody likes. Actually, you probably have foul taste, as most folk seem to like carp housing! Indicated by shopping for a cheese melt in Greggs... I mean, a cheese melt!

Work faster, more efficiently. Chat up the estate agents (friendly - like, no snogging) so they call you early in their list, not right at the end. Be flexible with viewing times. Don't go for second best.

It will pay dividends when you do manage to buy (hideous it may be) as you will find queues of equally-tasteless cheese-eating buyers rushing to the agents for a viewing.

Stay cheery, and don't let it get you down.... at this stage. The real nightmare begins once an offer is accepted. Solicitors... Surveyors... Mortgage Advisors.... Builders.......
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Umm, what’s a Greggs? ;)
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Oh, and I agree with PN. Get known by the agents. There’s nothing they like more than a quick sale. Absolutely, that is playing the game. Their job is to earn commission by finding buyers acceptable to the vendors. It’s not a matter of fairness, and they don’t have to show every property to every conceivable buyer.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    GDB2222 wrote: »
    Umm, what’s a Greggs? ;)
    Believe me, you are better not knowing.

Remember Alien? Well, what's inside a Gregg is equally scary!
  • yellowbear
    Options
    Can you arrange a viewing at my house?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills