The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes

Options

Comments

• greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,146 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sorry to hear you were confined to the house. It's funny how when you can't go out you really want to!

I've mostly been gardening, and avoiding calling tradespeople... I managed the landscape gardener (need some ground levelled and a base put down for the second-hand greenhouse that is being moved from my brother's house to mine) and the electrician. But I really do need to call the builders and get another quote/the outstanding snagging done/get a date for getting the floors done.

The garden is looking lovely, and will hopefully be fantastic next year, but it would be a good idea to get on with the inside of the house. I have the money for the next phase now, so I really do need to stop putting it off :(

I had white wine and fried halloumi for supper... I really couldn't be bothered to do anything else. Luckily I had a HUGE salad for lunch and lots of roast veg for breakfast...
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    greenbee wrote: »
    I had white wine and fried halloumi for supper... I really couldn't be bothered to do anything else. Luckily I had a HUGE salad for lunch and lots of roast veg for breakfast...

My Dear, I would LOVE to have been able to write that!! :D:D:D Can you not give me a heads up when you've next got that combination on the menu, I'll strap BG to the back o'me bike and head on over! :D:rotfl:

The garden sounds as though it is coming along a treat. I can see both sides with tradespeople, I'm sure they get their fare share of folk messing them around, but it does seem awful unfair when all you want someone to do the job they're trained for, and to part with your hard-earned in return.

Lovely to *see* you :D

Greying X
    Pounds for Panes £2,590/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (April) -  £8/£15  (Camping TTD - £60/90)

Grocery spend April £214.28/215
    Non-food household spend April £29.23/25
    Bulk Fund April 0/£10

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
  • The_Arrowmaker
    The_Arrowmaker Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 29 August 2017 at 10:54PM
    Options
    Mr Arrowmaker is a tradesperson himself and refuses to pay anyone to do anything that he *thinks* he can do himself (regardless of whether it's his actual area of expertise :rotfl:) so we are fortunate in rarely having to venture into the world of Y£ll0w Pag£s. He is also a perfectionist, although just sometimes I would be willing to trade perfection with 'good enough' in order that we might reach the bottom of the 'to do' list :rotfl:

Anyway, Greying, finding someone who is recommended by a trusted friend is ideal. Failing that, you might find it's worth looking for a tradesperson who's got approval from Trading Standards via Buy with Confidence. You'd hope that anyone who's gone to the trouble of going through the registration process understands the importance of putting the customer first.
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Good Morning :hello:

One of the things that I have found that I adore about little children - having not been around them much in life (no younger siblings, on hand cousins, wee next-door-neighbours etc), is the 'immediacy' with which they live life. Baby Greying has this morning been delighting in getting onions or cooking apples out of the stand in the kitchen. You would think that this 'new found' (for today) play thing is the crown jewels; the care, reverence and devotion that they are being treated with... especially if you try to take that onion back....... :rotfl:

So today's plans are to..... get outside! I have seen the buggy, it is no longer in the boot :D

I've the financials to take care of with a little money shuffle :dance: And if I get bored, there is always tidying, and as a last-resort, cleaning :D I've trades to contact and hair to pull out...... ;)

Tea this evening is a mystery - I didn't get around to doing my menu plan at the weekend. We're a bit low on 'things' but I'm going to have a proper cogitate and try to use what I've got without anything extra first and foremost. I've done reasonably well this month, and should end with a small surplus, so the incentive is there to be inventive.

Right, BG has now turned to getting everything out of everywhere, so I best vamoose.

Ta for popping in and reading.

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• Pippilongstocking
    Options
    Morning to you and your lovely diary folks - GB you've got me intrigued with that garden of yours - what kind of things are you growing.

GP I'm laughing at BG taking things in and out of racks - when the kids were little we had a 'kids' cupboard with all things non breakable and they emptied it and filled it to their hearts content. OK so it might have also been the plastic plate and tupperware stores but hey - they had fun and I regularly saw the goodies that were in and out and in and out of there.

I hope the adventures today are a plentiful and well done on having a surplus! Go you.
    Total debt 26/4/18 <£1925 we were getting there. :beer:
    Total debt as of 28/4/19 £7867.38:eek:
    minus 112.06 = £7755.32:money:
    :money:Sleeves up folks.:money:
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Well, that was a fruitful pootle up the high street :D

I've done my money shuffle :dance: twice :dance: so the bills will be paid :D and I can pay off the cc too. Despite needing cheese and coffee, this late in the month, I may yet end it with a few shekels left in the food budget. I did also splurge £2.99 of the food budget on a non-food item today.

I had been waiting for this film to come onto DVD at the library, and then go down to 'normal' price to lend, rather than premium. Anyway, this has got lost in the ether of time. But I saw it today in h0me bargins for £2.99. I figured you'd not get an ice-cream at the cinema for less than £3 these days, so Dear Reader, I bought it :D Turns out it was a good punt, as if I had loaned it from the library, it would have been £2 loan fee, and 70p reservation fee, as there aren't copies in the local library. So, for an extra 29p and considerably less hassle, I've bought a copy, and can think of several people who would freely borrow it off me to watch - and even if they don't I can put it in to the chazza, knowing it saved me money :D

Right, better get on. The kitchen is currently the room of doom - so best get on with washing up and drying - despite having done it 2 times already today!

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Good Evening :hello:

Well, we've just scoffed tea, which was a mastery of 'cobble' - even if I do say so myself :D

I had some lentil/onion/garlic/tomato mix which I padded out with some l/o passata and added a tin of red kidney beans to. Put in all the spices and seasonings to make it chilli-licious and shoved some tatties - bought today, 59p for 2kg of 'harmony' variety from h0me bargins - in the microwave. When they were done, I shoved 'em into the oven for a few minutes whilst i steamed the green beans in the microwave. Cheap & cheerful, avoided using rice, 2nd night on the trot and filled our tummies :D My kinda tucker :D

I must settle up with DH for the shopping got from mrAl on the way home. He was given a £10 note, but I added in cheese & bread to the list, so there may be extra pennies to hand over to him. I shouldn't really have to buy anything tomorrow to eat in August, so I'm remaining hopeful that there will be some money spare at the end of the month :D

I'm grateful for many things today, but I'm especially grateful for the knowledge that I have much joy in my life, and much to be joyful about. Nothing can touch that. Nothing.

Greying.

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Good Morning :hello:

Well, wonder what the day has in store for us? If that auld saying about Shepherd's opinion on the weather, according to the colour of t'sky is correct; we're in for inclemency.

Plans for today include definite sorting and tidying. I still don't see where all this 'stuff' comes from - we've decluttered so much, and still there is 'stuff'. I will freely admit that a large part of the issue is still storage. And we'll just have to bite the bullet somehow. Whilst there is no point buying cupboards/filing cabinets/drawers specifically for this house, we've got to have something functional on a day to day basis, that may well be serviceable for any other property we live in. I'm still miffed I missed a chest of drawers and some bedside cabinets in a chazza, because we saw them on a Sunday, when it was closed, and I couldn't have got transport to get them, the next day the chazza was open - even if a closer inspection had proved them suitable :( Ah well, thems the breaks.

Tea this evening will be a 'buddha bowl'. Of the genuine - little bit o' this and little bit o' that variety - because it is the last day of the month, and I'm determined to try to hold on to what is in my purse to prove a point to myself! :rotfl: I paid the cc bill yesterday, and the money is in place to pay all our September bills, so we're sorted on that front.

Can't think of owt else MS to report at the moment.

Ta for popping in and reading. It is appreciated. I was reading post #4331 Teacher2 had written on Secret Saving Squirrel's thread over on the MFW board, and thought to myself how rare it is to get that support in RL amongst family & friends. You are incredibly lucky, it would appear, if you operate in a circle of like-minded folks these days. So thank goodness we have this space where we can meet and share with each other the joy of our lives, which is not necessarily consumer driven. It's certainly appreciated, greatly, by me.

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,710 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Thank goodness indeed :j :j :j

Today I am sat in a friend's flat in Berlin, being VERY appreciative of friends and their Berlin flats :j :D Mr Cheery is having a nap, one friend at work and the other in the shower, so I am luxuriating with the balcony doors open and pretending I own the place :D We will be out for a pootle later :j

I still get pleasure from taking things out of cupboards (not so muh putting them back though :rotfl: )
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    LOVIN' your *postcard* from Berlin Cheery :D Thank you :D

Feels like we're there with you reading about what you can see etc in real time :D

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure