Christmas sun for solo traveller

Options

Comments

• Danipat
    Danipat Posts: 57 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I think to get real sun you need to go long haul.

We've been to Tenerife and Gran Canaria in April and the weather was pleasant, warmer than the UK but not warm enough for sunbathing or swimming.
  • ibizafan_2
    Options
    We’ve just come back from Tenerife and the weather was in the high 20s every day. Hot enough for me, and it was definitely sunbathing temperatures. The Canaries are year round destinations and the winter is peak season there, which does reflect in the prices of flights etc. Personally, I wouldn’t bother going further afield if you just want winter sun.
  • GreenQueen
    Options
    Went to Goa one year in January, and it was really hot, although may be above your budget.
    2021 - mission declutter and clean - 0/2021
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The closest and cheapest place to be pretty much guaranteed of hot weather is going to be Egypt.

Canaries may be good but you wou don't guarantee it being hot at Xmas, we went a few years ago in January and it was fine, but barley exceeded 20 Celsius with a couple of cold and windy days with rain.
  • Sharon87
    Sharon87 Posts: 4,011 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you don't mind it Dubai or Abu Dhabi may be an option. If you're looking for a drunken holiday then it's not that though! It has waterparks, beaches (yes you can wear a bikini on the beach!), theme park, shopping, restaurant and even bars (hotel bars mostly)
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Options
    London50 wrote: »
    The Canaries will not be cheap as it is one of the places that the older generation choose for long breaks to get away from the harsh weather and most of the good places are booked up a year or more in advance,so if you are looking to go on a budget you will be hard pressed

From the O/P - "Separate flights (from Ireland) and airbnb accommodation to Gran Canaria and Costa del Sol are around €100-€200 and €300-€500 respectively."
  • London50
    London50 Posts: 1,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    motorguy wrote: »
    From the O/P - "Separate flights (from Ireland) and airbnb accommodation to Gran Canaria and Costa del Sol are around €100-€200 and €300-€500 respectively."

As someone who for many years have holidayed in the Canaries I can just imagine what areas the airbnb could be in and it would not be where any "life" is.I would also say that many times I have seen on the islands news programs mainland Spain having snow in December,so for a solo traveller IMO it would not be the best of holidays,still who knows they "could" be lucky and get just what they want.
    Personally I will stick to paying a small fortune and know I will get what I require;)
  • loskie
    loskie Posts: 1,761 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I went as a single to Sri Lanka last winter, loved it. Felt relaxed and at home, Flew via Doha to Columbo.
    Prior to that my only trip outwith Europe was to NY and Texas
    Recommend a tour or stay at Galle.
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,317 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    loskie wrote: »
    I went as a single to Sri Lanka last winter, loved it. Felt relaxed and at home, Flew via Doha to Columbo.
    Prior to that my only trip outwith Europe was to NY and Texas
    Recommend a tour or stay at Galle.

Would there be enough time to get the vaccinations? The OP’s looking to travel in approx 3 weeks time...
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £460
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    edited 3 December 2019 at 12:19PM
    Options
    London50 wrote: »
    As someone who for many years have holidayed in the Canaries I can just imagine what areas the airbnb could be in and it would not be where any "life" is.I would also say that many times I have seen on the islands news programs mainland Spain having snow in December,so for a solo traveller IMO it would not be the best of holidays,still who knows they "could" be lucky and get just what they want.
    Personally I will stick to paying a small fortune and know I will get what I require;)

Yes, location is important, however it does show accommodation can be got for not a large amount of money.

Yes, i too have been to the Canaries many times over many years - typically twice a year at least, and we always book accommodation via owners direct or airbnb.

Yes, i would avoid mainland Spain in December. Thats pretty much a no brainer IMHO.

Yes, there is a sliding scale of costs depending on budget and preferences - pretty much the same with every holiday? The O/P has told us they want a holiday "on a budget". Its simply a matter of balancing location, quality and price to suit that budget. A cursory look over Christmas suggests it perfectly possible to get a nice, fresh modern apartment close to a resort centre for that budget.

Yes, like you I've had fantastic holidays when spending many thousands. Unlike you by the sounds of it I've also had fantastic holidays when spending a few hundred. Perhaps the O/P has experienced the same, even if you havent

Holidays are what you make of them, not about necessarily spending vast sums of money.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure