Solicitor slow over probate

Options
1242526272830»

Comments

• Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good luck, I truly hope it will soon be finsihed.
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • ukmaggie45
    ukmaggie45 Posts: 2,968 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Errata wrote: »
    Good luck, I truly hope it will soon be finsihed.

Thanks Errata! I've had so much help and useful suggestions here, without which we would never have been able to purchase and renovate the home we now live in. I hope others don't need to search for my thread, but I hope that it being here may help other people when they are grief stricken and then have so many problems over probate, dealing with solicitors and so on.

Will update when we have more news.
  • ukmaggie45
    Options
    The s**t finally hits the fan!!! :eek: Firm has been closed down and S1's partner has been struck off for a number of reasons, :eek::eek::eek: here's a little taster from the local paper:

The 13 allegations against (S1's partner) included:

Raising invoices in respect of costs and transferred money from clients’ accounts to the office account when there was no reason to do so;

Withdrawing funds from a general client account when funds withdrawn exceeded amounts held on behalf of client;

Failing to disburse residues of wills for a significant number of years;

Retaining client money when there was no reason to retain;

Failing to deal with client money appropriately;

Failing to deal appropriately with the registration of a mortgage;

Failing to establish and maintain proper accounting systems;

Failing to co-operate with the SRA in checking compliance;

Acting for both sides in a conveyancing transaction without appropriate written authority.

===============>>>

More news too, but am so weary (MiL in hospital after a fall) don't have energy enough to share yet. Other than looks as if we are finally on the road to completion!
  • fredsnail
    fredsnail Posts: 2,068 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thank you for another update - finally S1's firm has been caught - but how many mistakes and problems have they caused among other clients as well as for you - appalling.

I wish you MIL a speedy recovery too and hope that everything is settled for you very soon.
  • ukmaggie45
    edited 27 March 2013 at 4:31PM
    Options
    Yet another "sort of" update...

OH got in touch with S2 today. There is another hold up which I don't feel able to comment on right now. As much as anything this is a placeholder for me to find should I need to. Will come back to this when I feel more able to.

But I will just fill you all in on a couple of things to do with S1. His partner has been struck off, S1 had to pay maximum fine though didn't get struck off. Firm has closed down. Oh, and S1 is now being investigated by the Office for Judicial Complaints.

And as for my title to this thread, take a look at this!

To quote: "In the case of Mrs B, who died in January 1993, £14,440.25 remained in a designated deposit account and was not distributed for 14 years." :eek:
  • fredsnail
    fredsnail Posts: 2,068 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good grief - I could have qualified as a solicitor and distributed the funds in that time. :eek::eek:

Thanks for the update - you'll get there eventually (I hope!)
  • ukmaggie45
    Options
    Well I finally have good news! :j

About a month ago we had the final estate accounts from S2, and a final cheque for the balance. :beer: Not a huge cheque, but enough to have a bit of fun frittering away! ;) This would have been cleared up several months earlier, but a letter arrived for my Dad at their old flat, new owner very kindly got in touch and forwarded it on to us. So it was some more paperwork (unclaimed dividends for shares that were sold years ago, well before parents died, value approx £40 <rolls eyes>) that needed finishing off before the estates could be finalised.

It feels very strange now to think that it's finally all done and dusted! :cool:

Just after we heard about it by sheer chance I spotted an offer on Am*z*n local for 2 nights in a hotel near Dolgellau (where Mum was born and lived till she married Dad) that my parents went to for a number of years for Christmas, so we've booked that in May. It's a very beautiful part of North Wales, and I haven't spent much time there since I was aged 11, so am looking forward to that. :j And I think my parents would approve of that bit of spending. :) I just hope that it doesn't rain the whole time we're there! :rotfl:

I would like to thank all of you who have followed this long journey we've been on, and who have given me so many suggestions and so much support over the years! :A :T :) Without all your help we wouldn't be living in the home we now have, I have no words really to express my gratitude to everyone who has contributed to this very long thread.

THANK YOU ALL! :T :T :T :A :A :A :) :j :)
  • Twiggy_34
    Twiggy_34 Posts: 685 Forumite
    Options
    Hi ukmaggie45

I just read through some of your thread after it came up in the feed due to your latest post. My oh my what a rollercoaster ride you've had! So glad to see that you've found the light at the end of the tunnel, also glad to see that S1's company got their comeuppance!

As many others were I was astounded by the mess they seemed to have made of things but the newer revelations explain why perhaps this was the case. My sister and I (both early 30's) had to act as executors for our dad's estate in 2012. Fortunately his estate came under the threshold for IHT, but we had 2 (and freehold for a 3rd) properties to sort out, tax issues regarding private income, and 3 private pensions. I dealt with completion of the IHT form myself although this was returned by the solicitor dealing with probate, and dealt with pretty much everything else, valuations etc. We even wrote dad's will ourselves (well, he wrote it, we got it formalised) and we never had so much as a hitch. However, we only found out this year that they never dealt with the land registry for the properties (which us 3 kids have kept). Thankfully the sorted it ASAP as soon as we pointed out their error. So it really is possible for Joe Public to do a better job than the solicitors on occasion lol.

Anyway, congratulations & I truly hope you have a lovely time in Wales, such a lovely sentiment to go somewhere in memory of your parents :)
    £12k in 2019 #084 £3000/£3000
    £2 Savers Club 2019 #18 TOTAL:£394 (2013-2018 = £1542)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure