Winter holiday prices

Options
Hi All
We are wanting to go to Antalya in the first week of November.
I should have booked before TCG collapsed but didn't expect them to go bust so soon.
The holiday that we were looking at was £600 each and its now £800 each and this week the prices have gone up daily, (the holiday was £750)

to be honest, I am not going to be ripped off and i would rather stay at home and go away next year.
I have spoken to Jet2 Holidays who have told me that the price will not come down due to supply and demand, So just wondered if anyone here is in the same situation and either hoping the price will drop or just pay the money.

On another note, i can book a holiday to asia for less than the the Jet2 holiday with hotels , But just looking for a 14 day break short haul. (Normally go to asia for a month)

Comments

• Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Jet 2, in particular, have increased prices considerably and they will know at this stage what the new level of demand for Turkey is. The problem is TC was very strong in Turkey so the loss of flights has given Jet 2 an opportunity to make money while their sun shines. If prices are rising 4 weeks before departure, they clearly believe they can sell the remaining holidays so it is really a case of pay up, look elsewhere or stay at home and light a few fireworks on the 5th!
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    I'm in the same position.
    Was looking for a week of winter sun - Tenerife or Tunisia.
    Had a few 'shortlisted' on the TUI website.
    Looked the morning of TC collapse and all had increased in price massively.
    Have backed away - I'm not paying silly (imho) prices for a week self catering.
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    We normally go to a 5 star hotel at Lara Beach near Antalya for 3 weeks,last year it was £3800 for two people,this year it is up £6600!!!,but as has been said why not make a profit whilst you can,saves working on small margins with high numbers.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • malct
    malct Posts: 38 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you for your replies, Looking at tour operators now, There is limited choice and jet 2 is coming out the cheapest , Even if i book rooms in the hotel myself.
    At the moment they are wanting £1600 for 2 on the 4th Nov.

For just over £400 i can fly with my wife to Thailand and pay £25 a night for a hotel room for the both of us with Pool, so that's £350 for the hotel, £800 for flights and that leaves you with £450 spending money for food and drink and believe me, you can have a great meal for £1.50p

Tour operators are making money from TCG customers who most are waiting for a return of any money and pay outs are stating at the end of the month, So i am not expecting any cheap deals.

Regards DIY holidays , I recommend going to asia, It can be cheap and if you book direct with Qatar, Emirates, Etihads, There is less change of the company going bust and use the likes of Expedia for your hotels and booking just before you go. We normally go in Feb/March for the good weather
  • PompeyPete
    PompeyPete Posts: 7,126 Forumite
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    I'm in the same position.
    Was looking for a week of winter sun - Tenerife or Tunisia.
    Had a few 'shortlisted' on the TUI website.
    Looked the morning of TC collapse and all had increased in price massively.
    Have backed away - I'm not paying silly (imho) prices for a week self catering.

Tunisia can easily be wet and miserable. At best you'll get a bit of warmth between 1000-1500. A good centrally heated hotel helps though.
  • cubegame
    cubegame Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    Options
    I'm not quite sure why anyone thinks it's a rip off. It's supply and demand.

If you want winter sun don't wait until Autumn to book it.
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,137 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ganga wrote: »
    We normally go to a 5 star hotel at Lara Beach near Antalya for 3 weeks,last year it was £3800 for two people,this year it is up £6600!!!,but as has been said why not make a profit whilst you can,saves working on small margins with high numbers.

If you are experienced in travelling to the area then have you looked at booking direct with the airline and hotel?

I can understand other tour operators putting up their prices in the wake of the TC collapse but there shouldn't be that much difference with scheduled airlines and the likes of Turkish Airlines and established hotels aren't going to go bust.
  • malct
    malct Posts: 38 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes, I have looked at booking DIY, But it is working out more expensive.

Just priced up a flight from Manchester to bangkok in November , Great flight times , £435 Via AMS with KLM.

We just fancied a nice break during the rough weather, But not at scammed prices, So looking like a good holiday in asia.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    cubegame wrote: »
    I'm not quite sure why anyone thinks it's a rip off. It's supply and demand.

If you want winter sun don't wait until Autumn to book it.
    Sometimes it's not possible to book before Autumn.
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Doshwaster wrote: »
    If you are experienced in travelling to the area then have you looked at booking direct with the airline and hotel?

I can understand other tour operators putting up their prices in the wake of the TC collapse but there shouldn't be that much difference with scheduled airlines and the likes of Turkish Airlines and established hotels aren't going to go bust.

The problem is we live in the NE of England and Newcastle airport is on our doorstop,TUI,Jet2 and TC used to fly to Antalya,as TC is now gone the others have increased their prices ( cannot blame them )we could always travel to say Manchester but a taxi is about £150 each way and do not fancy flying back for 4 and 1/2 hours,an hour in the airport and then a 2/3 hour car journey home.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure