freeview channels disappearing...

Options
Hi All,

I got a new YouView box recently and noticed that when I tuned it, I suddenly wasn't getting BBC News HD or BBC 4 HD (and I think C4+1 HD) and I assumed it was something to do with the freeview signal stuff happening and the need for a retune...

I retuned and managed to get back BBC4 HD but am still missing the other two, and possibly a few more that I haven't noticed yet...

And now, weeks later, for some reason the signal quality and strength on BBC 4 HD has dropped to the 40% range and it's cutting out all over the place.

I really don't want to have to get a new aerial as it was all replaced less than 4 years ago... Is there anything I can do about this?

Comments

• debitcardmayhem
    debitcardmayhem Posts: 11,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Check your aerial leads are connected securely first , is your TV a HD tuner box? If so connect the in lead for your freeview box to the the TV see if it cures the problem for those , If not then let us know
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • wallofbeans
    wallofbeans Posts: 1,400 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Check your aerial leads are connected securely first , is your TV a HD tuner box? If so connect the in lead for your freeview box to the the TV see if it cures the problem for those , If not then let us know

Aerial leads are connected. I've got a signal to TV and to YouView box and BBC4 has gone completely from freeview direct through TV.

I'm wondering if it's the little aerial amplifier that was fitted when the aerials was replaced. Maybe that is playing up... but that would affect the quality of all the channels, wouldn't it?
  • debitcardmayhem
    debitcardmayhem Posts: 11,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Does the TV accept HD TV via its own tuner?
    Tell us which TV model it is and which freeview box model it is, more info will help :o There are too many unknown variables to diagnose , one of the leads could be faulty , does the little amplifier supply other TVs I can't guess nor really can anyone else
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • wallofbeans
    edited 16 May 2018 at 10:58PM
    Options
    Yes the TV accepts HD TV all on its own. It's the most recent YouView box with BT branding, I don't know what model number it is. The TV is a Panasonic TX40EX700B and the aerial goes into an amplifier that then outputs to the Youview box and direct to the TV.
  • wallofbeans
    Options
    I've just checked the amplifier - it had a red light on and the leads were secure (they are the twist on kind so wont come unplugged) but I thought I'd take all out and reconnect just in case.

When I reconnected, for some reason the red light was joined by a green light, and now my signal has improved. What could have been the issue?

I retuned both TV and YV box and now have BBC News HD and C4 HD back on the freeview signal direct to the TV, but still neither of them via the YouView box. The BBC 4 HD signal is stronger again though.

Any ideas how to make the YouView box find those channels again, or why it isn't already?
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The tuner in the YV box may be less sensitive than the one in the TV, hence not finding all the channels.

The problem with the disappearing channels could well be down to the fact that that the muxes have been moved around the broadcast spectrum and the ones with BBC News HD and BBC 4 HD have been moved to an area of the spectrum that your aerial does not pick up so well.

This is what has happened in my case I think. After the last retune I can't recieve BBC News HD and BBC HD has a lower signal strength. The muxes those channels are on did move quite significantly up the spectrum. I get TV from the Sutton Coldfield transmitter.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Is yours the recording YouView box? If yes then it has 2 tuners inside it (so you can watch 1 channel while recording another), thus it needs a stronger signal at the aerial connection.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've just checked the amplifier - it had a red light on and the leads were secure (they are the twist on kind so wont come unplugged) but I thought I'd take all out and reconnect just in case.

I think @wongataa has probably answered your question but have you tried plugging the aerial directly into the TV first (missing out the amp). If that works then try the aerial in the YV box (without amp again) and connect the YV box directly to the TV (is it an HDMI connection between the YV box & the TV?)

The lights on the amp suggest that the red light means you're just not getting a good enough signal, when it changed to green after redoing the connections could have been down to old exposed cables.

I presume the fact that you're using an amp in the first place means you're in a very poor reception area? Is the aerial on the roof or in the loft?
  • grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 4,989 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    I've just checked the amplifier - it had a red light on
    Buy a new amplifier. They don't always last forever. Cheap as chips to buy - find make and type on existing box then buy one online.
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • wallofbeans
    edited 17 May 2018 at 8:35PM
    Options
    It is the recording YouView box (I didn't know there was another kind) and yes, it has two tuners.

The signal direct to the TV is better now. Although it wasn't before they messed around with the transmitter (Crystal Palace is my local).

The red light on the amp hasn't gone out - I now have both red and green on.

Aerial is on the roof. New one fitted in December 2014 with amp and all wiring. Worked great until a few weeks ago.

I will buy a new amp and see if that does the trick.

Very annoying though, signal on most channels very strong and quality good. It's just this one batch that are suddenly giving me trouble.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure