PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2009 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• elizabunny
    elizabunny Posts: 1,030 Forumite
    Options
    taka wrote: »
    I needed to stock up on Strong white bread flour this week and its gone up again from 45p to 68p in Mr T for 1.5kg! :eek: I checked Mysupermarket - 48p in Mr A so I gave them a phone to double check the price as Mysupermarket doesn't always get it right and its over an hour round trip by foot to go there from where I live and Mr T and Mr S are much closer. I'm glad I did as it was 24p :j :T :j

Strong white bread flour (1.5kg) - 24p :j
    ! :j

Wish I'd gone thereicon9.gif
    Sealed Pot Challenge 7 Member 022 :staradmin:staradmin:staradmin
    5:2 Diet started 28/1/2013 only 13lbs lost due to Xmas 2013 blip.
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    me again.......marmalade update...looking good now in jars...i find it hard to know when its set...ive done the wrinkle test on a cold plate and it looked set so fingers crossed.....off topic but elizabunny i felt sad for u when u said u missed your sons when they visit and then leave....im sure they will be back very soon by the sound of how well u looked after them ...tata tess
    onwards and upwards
  • slm6002
    slm6002 Posts: 3,719 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Please can you put me down for £30per week. Hubby gets paid mid month so will do weekly if thats ok. Need to do this as spent over £350 last 5 weeks:eek:
    Me, DD1 18, DS 16, DD2 13, Debt Free 04/18, Single Mum since 11/19
  • elizabunny
    elizabunny Posts: 1,030 Forumite
    Options
    me again.......marmalade update...looking good now in jars...i find it hard to know when its set...ive done the wrinkle test on a cold plate and it looked set so fingers crossed.....off topic but elizabunny i felt sad for u when u said u missed your sons when they visit and then leave....im sure they will be back very soon by the sound of how well u looked after them ...tata tess

tess -thank you for that, makes me feel better already icon7.gif -the thing is your children are still your children no matter how old they are.

Back on topic, your marmalade sounds good and I bet it will taste great too. I haven't made any for years and then I used to make it from tins of MAMADE. I think yours will taste yummy.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 7 Member 022 :staradmin:staradmin:staradmin
    5:2 Diet started 28/1/2013 only 13lbs lost due to Xmas 2013 blip.
  • katholicos
    katholicos Posts: 2,658 Forumite
    Options
    Well 2 weeks to go and i have £71 left to spend. I don't want to blow my grocery budget for the month but i just might! I'm going to go and update my signature now :-)
    Grocery Challenge for October: £135/£200

NSD Challenge: October 0/14
  • Baileys_Babe
    Options
    I've been to Sainsbugs this evening and bought: milk (frozen enough for the rest of the month), butter, DP's cereal, ketchup, fish fingers, cream (profiteroles for pudding tomorrow).

Tomorrow my parents, sister, BIL & nephews are coming for dinner & maybe lunch. Parents are staying the night and maybe the next.

My meal plan for the coming week is:

Sunday
    Lunch HM soup, HM bread, cheese, pickles, fruit
    Dinner Roast Goose/toad in the whole for nephew who won't eat roast meat/gravy dinner :confused: carrot & swede mash, roast potatoes, roast parsnips, roast jerusalm artichokes, roast onion, stuffing, steamed cabbage, gravy. Followed by Christmas pudding or profiteroles (We delayed our Christmas dinner as the majority of us very ill at Christmas)
    Monday
    Lunch Fish finger sandwiches, fruit
    Dinner Sausage meat pie, baked beans, saute potatoes or bread
    Tuesday
    Dinner Veg Korma & rice
    Wednesday
    Dinner Vegetable lasagna
    Thursday
    Dinner Leek & potato bake
    Friday
    Dinner going out for a meal, DP's work do, partners invited :j also free :money: menu looks good :D

Lunch Tuesday-Friday HM soup, HM bread, cheese & fruit

We also have 2 varieties of HM biscuits, HM brownies (made by DP's mum), yoghurts, fruit & planning to make cuppa tea cake (DS's favouite) to fill any gaps.

I've updated signature and have also looked at likely spends for the rest of the month, we may just make it but it will be close. But some of the spends have been on bulk buys which will last us months if not to the end of the year, which isn't to bad.

Apologies for such a long post.:o
    Fashion on a ration 2024 66/66 coupons remaining
    80 coupons rolled over 0/80 coupons spent - using for secondhand purchases

One
     income, home educating family 
  • clutterydrawer
    Options
    Eeee...I was a bit naughty today and spent 25.50. My friend is staying the weekend so i got some fruit juice, yoghurt, nice bread etc to make the visit enjoyable as she's not used to slumming it.....picked up a lot of dried fruit bargains though so I will eat well for the week and hopefully still come in under budget. :)
    August grocery challenge: £50
    Spent so far: £37.40 :A
  • pink_princess
    pink_princess Posts: 13,581 Forumite
    Options
    :hello: I went whoopsie shopping tonight (7.30 pm) and got loads.I think they must of been quiet due to the torrential rain and wind,but i managed to get loads.

4x loafs of bread = 40p

2 x french sticks = 30p

12 x instore bakery chocolate muffins = £1

4 x in store bakery glazed doughnuts = 20p

broccolli pack 300g = 10p

youghurts x 4 = 24p

So pleased and now my freezer is full of bread lol
    Think i ll make some bread crumbs for chicken nuggets on monday.
    Hope every -one is doing well:T

PP
    Life is short, smile while you still have teeth :D
  • MoneyQueen
    Options
    Hi , Hope everybody is doing well

I am providing the update for this whole week today

I have spent £28.08 this week taking my total for this month to £59.54...and there are still 14 days left in Jan... :eek: Though this week's shopping included £9.79 for a laundry horse and 3.29 for a PC Mouse for DH so probably not bad after all...

There are 12 meals ready in the freezer for the week and we have sufficient fruit and milk to last the week.. I am going shopping again on Friday - basically for milk/ fruit so hopefully £100 for January should be sufficient....

and if we save anything from £100, then that will go towards mortgage OP

And we even squeezed in a meal out this week (nothing fancy - just cajun veg burger and chips at local morrisons - total cost £6.82 for 2 including Tea for DH)
    AND I made Twink's hobnobs today... Yummy :j

Also made Pasta Sauce at home today with some passatta that had been in the pantry for ages...:j

Take care everyone...
  • dreamingofmoney
    Options
    Hiya everyone

Been to Mr A's yesterday and spent 39.33, but this will feed us for nearly a fortnight, got masses of mince (regular mince 500g for a £1) onions, peppers, mushrooms, carrotts, swede, celery (37p for full thing) etc etc, so made a huge vat of celary soup yesterday for the freezer and today i am going to spend a fab day making millions of lasagnes and savory mince for the freezer.

Also DH and i went out for tea last night and spent £35 argh. Although it was well deserved, so can justify it, and we have only got til next fri to go we are still well within our limits and i think with all the cooking i am doing today we will only need the bare essentials next week, so hopefully there will be at least £50 in our xmas fund.
    Fingers Crossed

Dreamer
    Debt free date May 20. Now the Mortgage1 £53862.45/£ 0% starting daily interest £4.48/£
    Jan GC £400/£Out of the water Feb £400/£
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport