We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Daydream fund challenge part 4

Options

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    alfie_1 wrote: »
    RAIN :j :beer: :T :D
    It's happened here too, but grudgingly. Temperatures collapsed overnight and the heating came on at 6am! :eek:

It's the village show today, so we were up at dawn cutting flowers, fruit and veg. Why is it impossible to get just two identical squash when they all look the same?

As usual, we were late. :o Just made it into the seperate craft section with about 30 seconds to spare.....

This time I'm hopeful one, or even two of my photos will come first, but they never do. I was just arranging my snap of a tussock moth caterpillar when a 10 year old dumped a huge woodlouse picture beside it that would have gone well in the Countryfile calendar....:( However, I'm certain it's bigger than 8"x 6" so I'm hoping she's disqualified! ;):p

Will report back later...:)
  • alfie_1
    alfie_1 Posts: 5,837 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    now why am I sat eagerly awaiting the result of wether the 10year olds pic got disqualified and wether Davey boy got a prize !! :D
  • Davesnave
    Options
    You didn't have too long to wait, alfie!

As predicted, several children were disqualified for producing A4 size photos :doh: At that age, bigger is best, innit? ;)

My best picture only came second in its class, while my worst of the four I entered won its category. So, there you go, a win at last, but not something I'm proudly showing anyone. :o

What I will show are our courgettes, which took the rose bowl for fruit and veg...

DSCF0811_B.jpg

Pure luck that three looked similar on the day and... err....we do have 10 plants to pick from!

With the Show coming much earlier and many folks away on holiday, we did better than in previous years, but the weather has made it a tough call for everyone. For example, I failed to produce enough decent chilli peppers or 'normal' tomatoes to even enter their classes, while my small toms were fractionally too large for the cherry section, so I was disqualified yet again. :mad:
  • alfie_1
    First Post
    edited 11 August 2018 at 7:40PM
    Options
    :beer: :j
    go dave go dave

well done :D

and I must say that's a lovely pair you have there ;)

edit... got carried away and only saw 2 !!!
  • Davesnave
    Options
    :beer: :j
    go dave go dave

well done :D

Thanks, but what do I do with a rose bowl?
    Apart from the wild ones, we've not planted roses yet! :(
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    Did the first night of the Fireworks up on the Hoe, but ended up in a lot of pain as a result, so did the second by the swing bridge instead, which was a lot nicer and wasn't nearly so uncomfortable.

Came back Friday midnight, out to Boomtown, lots of wrangling Idiot Man Children and equipment, baffled as to what appeal there is in paying out hundreds to attend large festivals (then looked at the state of the attendees and decided it's probably a case of too much money and a desire to be off one's face for a long weekend) back out and home again.

Got a few days home before working at Beautiful Days, most of which will involve picking blackberries, watering plants and buying items suitable for the cold and mud I suspect we will be faced with by the end of the week. I have already benefited from the least offensive looking fleece jacket I bought for twenty quid - avoiding the Women's Section, obviously (as varying shades of peach, puce and purple are just Wrong) and it appears that men aren't allowed black fleeces - there must be a special supplier that provides them for Security Staff and I didn't have any black knee length cargoes to go with a black hoodie and work boots as the universal identifiers of Sound Crew, so went for the huge 'natural' green.

The downside of this is that I will never be able to step foot into a garden centre or nursery again without being asked where the Mixed Bedding is, but at least I'll be warm; it was perfect for Boomtown, particularly as it meant I was clearly nothing to do with the multitudes sporting shiny mermaid print leggings, crop tops and not a lot else (and that was just the males).

The fireworks were alright - the ones who eventually won it were the best - but I was more interested in trying to work out what was upsetting the shoal of fish that were skipping out of the water by the pontoon for the Mount Batten Ferry in the dark at the same time - I thought it could be Harbour Porpoises, as they wouldn't have wanted to go back out into the Sound because of the bangs and I thought I saw a couple of round/rolling shapes amongst the fish in the darkness. And when we did pop over to Mount Batten to cool down on Thursday, I saw a big Compass Jellyfish.

It's definitely nicer when the big events aren't going on in places, whether they're Fireworks or festivals. I prefer them like that, anyway.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • alfie_1
    First Post
    Options
    Came back Friday midnight, out to Boomtown, lots of wrangling Idiot Man Children and equipment, baffled as to what appeal there is in paying out hundreds to attend large festivals (then looked at the state of the attendees and decided it's probably a case of too much money and a desire to be off one's face for a long weekend) back out and home again.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

my sons there ....
    and as he couldn't get a ticket and had to pay an OTT price...I agree :D

its still drizzling here which is better for the ground as it actually gets to soak it up.. amazing how the green is coming back so quickly.
    got to sort out getting our winter hay now as we didn't cut this year [which was fortunate as we wouldn't have had any ! ]
    we intend to get big rounds as easier to store and just roll one out to last at least a week ! it was hard work last winter barrowing hay bales around in the mud..

I think I am getting a cold ? feel very heavy headed and sluggish.. hope not !

I seem to have the attire that attracts "questions" in garden centres [even moles?] during the winter months.. I usually just send them in the right direction.. its quicker than trying ro explain that although I look like ive just come out of a hedge backwards, I actually have but not THIS establishments hedge ;)
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,446 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options

I seem to have the attire that attracts "questions" in garden centres [even moles?] during the winter months.. I usually just send them in the right direction.. its quicker than trying ro explain that although I look like ive just come out of a hedge backwards, I actually have but not THIS establishments hedge ;)

Yes, I suffer from that as well ... probably because garden centres, or at least the ones round here, no longer seem to cater for gardeners :rotfl:
  • Davesnave
    Options
    DawnW wrote: »
    Yes, I suffer from that as well ... probably because garden centres, or at least the ones round here, no longer seem to cater for gardeners :rotfl:
    I don't get mistaken for staff in garden centres, but I used to in builders' merchants.

When I denied responsibility, people would say, "Oh, sorry, you looked like....."
    And I'd reply, "A scruffy yard man?" :rotfl:

Now, I think I've reached the stage of just being a scruffy old bloke, but round here, many very well-off folks fit that description too. :p

I don't know how our local garden centre survives. It's been hit badly by the 10 week road closure nearby this summer too. We've benefited greatly; not that we pose a huge threat to the garden centre, but it can't help having us on one of the routes for locals to its location.

DW wants to expand sales here, but I'm wary, as increased sales means more work for both of us. Our survival here depends on a sensible work/life balance.....which we never achieve! :o
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Happens to me at the tip.... we all have a station in life to fill!

Actually, I don't mind; it often gives me first dibs on what's being thrown out!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback