Finally I have a mortgage I can start to pay off!

Options

Comments

• themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,920 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi KC, it's the London to Brighton mini run - 22nd May :D We also usually go to the veteran one in November - they're both special, for different reasons.

Not much to report today - plenty of work done, 10p poll on VB done, 50 points on YG and... (I'd forgotten to check until I came on here to post).... £50 won on the PBs! :D My best result yet :) (Sadly not a life changing amount, but it will help to build my savings back up a bit).

Sister and niece came round for lunch - was lovely to see them both. Sadly niece didn't repeat her newest trick of rolling over.

Have discovered one of the activities we've booked to do on our holiday we're not insured for :( We've not paid anything for it yet, but we were really looking forward to it. Additional cover will cost £75 but more if we don't buy it until we're away but the guy isn't going to confirm (he needs another couple to do it at the same time) until we're already away.... decisions... (I know it's not very MSE, but we considered not doing it and it felt like a huge let down). Thoughts anyone?
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    themadvix wrote: »

Have discovered one of the activities we've booked to do on our holiday we're not insured for :( We've not paid anything for it yet, but we were really looking forward to it. Additional cover will cost £75 but more if we don't buy it until we're away but the guy isn't going to confirm (he needs another couple to do it at the same time) until we're already away.... decisions... (I know it's not very MSE, but we considered not doing it and it felt like a huge let down). Thoughts anyone?
    In the big scheme of things £75 is nothing. However, I don't think I'd want to do something that needed extra insurance :eek::eek::eek:.
    Save
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • themadvix
    Options
    Thanks Gally... the thing is, it really isn't as exciting as it sounds, but because of the name it has, it's considered an excluded activity. We want to go canyoning (climbing, zip-wiring, abseiling through waterfalls in the jungle) - it's a 3 hour activity with a guide, suitable for all from the age of 14 (and in an EU country, so H&S pretty well covered) - hardly the potential risk that there would be if you were hard-core canyoners! But of course, insurance companies don't like to differentiate between beginner-, with instructor, type activities and the potential lunacy of experienced people pushing themselves to/beyond the limits!

£75 is ok... *if* we get to do it. But I don't want to throw £75 in extra cover down the drain just because another couple to do it with doesn't appear/don't turn up on the day (although I think that's going to be risked whatever). My thinking at the moment is we ask the man if he can let us know before we leave on Saturday as to whether he's got someone else by that point. And we make a decision then. There are other, less adventurous options available that we could do (and potentially DH could go diving too if we don't spend on this), but we'd just got so excited about it, it seems a shame not to go ahead!

(Just FYI, also going to climb an active volcano ;) )

Back to today....
    Must do: packing, voting, hunting for lounge pass card, chasing of tradesmen, working...

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    That sounds a *lot* of money for the insurance for a 3 hour activity, madvix! Makes me wonder about rearranging to do it separately in the UK ... but you've got to go with what feels right.

Your London to Brighton is on Monday 22nd? I'll be watching :):):)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • themadvix
    Options
    KC, I've sent you a PM

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Received and chatted :):):)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    themadvix wrote: »
    Thanks Gally... the thing is, it really isn't as exciting as it sounds, but because of the name it has, it's considered an excluded activity. We want to go canyoning (climbing, zip-wiring, abseiling through waterfalls in the jungle) -
    Em........... I wonder what you WOULD class as exciting then :rotfl:
    :rotfl::rotfl:.
    Save
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • themadvix
    Options
    :D Okay, it *is* exciting, but not as hairy as if we were experienced amateurs canyoning for a whole week without supervision in an unknown area! :p (Going up the volcano sounds scarier to me, if I'm honest - especially as I don't like hills!)

We emailed the guy we've booked with last night and said that we need it to be confirmed by the end of today if we're going to go, otherwise we'll have to cancel. While I still really want to do it, I'm coming round to the idea of having quite a bit extra money and an extra day to do other things if it doesn't happen.

Just finishing off a few last bits of work and then I've finished! My brain has definitely checked out already :) Lunching with mum today and then a few bits to get in town (and the Fat Face sale to peruse :) )

• kirtsypoos
    kirtsypoos Posts: 3,824 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Have a wonderful holiday!

Canyoning sounds amazing, enjoy it if you do get to do it :)
    :j PAID VERY, Barclaycard x3, Vanquis, Natwest, O/D, Tesco & MBNA x2 PAID :j LBM 24/07/15 - Original Debt: £0/31010.23 (100% paid) :eek:
    Mortgage - £151.316.54 :eek:
  • ch4rly2002
    ch4rly2002 Posts: 460 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion
    Options
    Wow, sounds like you're going to have a fantastic holiday... enjoy!
    Mortgage: Mar 2018 -£300,000 / Jul 2021 -£255,000
    Student Loan: March 2011 -£18,275.04 / Jul 2021 -£10,425.28
    Joint Savings: Aim £13.5k. Dec 2016 £1,700 / Jul 2021 £36,600
    Loan to In-Laws: Sep 2010 -£48,185.82 / Apr 2019 £0
    Car Loan: Sep 2018 -£16,265 / Apr 2019 £0
    Credit Card 0%: Nov 2016 -£4,500 / Apr 2019 £0
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts