Finally I have a mortgage I can start to pay off!

Options

Comments

• themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,911 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    That's the plan TH, but we'll see what happens when we get there.

Car passed its MOT fine, have booked the mini in for next week and am now taking one of the cats to the vets this afternoon :( Seem to be spending a fortune on them at the moment, which is frustrating, but I just want them to be happy and healthy (and sorted before we go away).

To-do list update:
    FB items bumped, 3 bits of work done, car MOT'd.
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You've solved a bit of a mystery for me - I try to watch what's happening on my local selling page on fb, and thats what I'm seeing - bumps!

Sorry your cat was ill - how's things today?
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • themadvix
    Options
    Hey KC! Unfortunately the 'bumping' isn't helping! I've not sold any of the bits.... back to Ebay I guess, although I won't now sell anything until after my holiday.

It is the same kitty who won't pee in the litter tray. We took him last week and it turns out he has low level, stress-related (ha! stress!) cystitis, which means he now thinks the litter is causing the pain when he pees. So he's been on 'kitty prozac' (actually a natural thing - uses the casein in cat breast milk to relax them) since last week, but no difference with where he pees. I took him yesterday because I hadn't seen him pee at all for 24 hours and was beginning to worry - this is what alerted us to the problem with the other cat (also stress cystitis!). So another £29 down. Vet tried to give me some anti-inflammatories, but fortunately we had some leftover from first kitty, so saved £13 there.... Lo and behold, before he'd had any of the drugs he did a 'lovely' big wee all over the carpet last night... Hmm.... (sorry, that was probably more than you bargained on when you asked the question!!).

Didn't go to the brewery last night with DH as it's only open Thurs-Sun, so we're off there tonight.

MS things:
    *35p on VB
    * Various SBs in the code giveaway yesterday
    * Ordered a £25 JL voucher from MM
    * Apparently the Ukrainians have paid... but they said this last time....
    * Lots and lots of work
    * Have applied and been accepted for Amex Gold Card - will use this to buy kitchen, thus netting me the 22,000 points which can be exchanged for Virgin Atlantic points. DH also gets a referral bonus :)

Grateful for:
    * Grey wagtail pottering around the garden - a regular visitor now and I think he's nesting nearby :)
    * Cat peeing on the carpet?! At least I know he's not struggling to go!:rotfl:
    * Mini date night tonight

Have a good afternoon everyone!

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• Jessy103
    Jessy103 Posts: 1,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Hi mv. Sorry to hear about the kitty! Have you tried that adaptil (I think that's what it's called!) It helps cats and dogs relax. We bought a spray bottle of it and sprayed it in the car to help the dogs relax until they got used to traveling. Also as kitty doesn't want to use the litter tray would he go on those puppy pads you can get instead? Just trying to think of ways to save you new carpet!! I hope they're both feeling better soon! Hope you have a nice time at the brewery! X
    Mortgage Balance as of Jan 24 £36,500 Starting Mortgage Balance (June 2019) £72,000. 2024 Overpayment Challenge: Jan £558.40, Feb £588.11, Mar £497.32
  • themadvix
    Options
    Hi Jess, thanks for thinking about this! Yes, we've got Feliway diffusers, which seem to stop them fighting as much (mainly play fighting but there's been more hissing lately). Hadn't thought of the puppy pads - a good idea though, would consider that in future.... Fortunately he's not using the new carpet (just the old one!), and even more fortunately, **he used the litter tray last night!!!** wahoo! I think we might have cracked it! (It's a weird world where you listen to see whether he's doing a number one or number two in the litter tray and then celebrate!). I'd put a different litter in there for a few days as suggested by the vet - neither cat would go near it so yesterday I changed it back to normal and apparently it was appealing. Fingers crossed this is the beginning of the end!

Brewery was fun, only had a drink there and a wander around the town centre (it was shut, but it's a nice place to nose around), but did give in to fish and chips for dinner. I'm not going to feel too guilty as we've not had takeaway in a while and it was a nice end to a lovely evening.

I've already completed my posting duties for today and done a small top-up shop (we had no milk for breakfast!). Generally I think there'll be lots of working today, followed by Brownies tonight, hopefully seeing sister and niece on the way.

• Karmacat
    Options
    Thats fine on the detail :) I'm catsitting next week, and its a while since I've had cats of my own :)
  • EatingTheElephant
    Options
    Great news the cats liking the litter tray again. Even though old carpet is better than the new, it is so much better in the litter tray!
  • themadvix
    Options
    So true ETE!

Have had a day out in Kent with DH today which was lovely. Did buy lunch on the go, but it was £5 in total so not too bad. Made up for tonight by free tea as I'm writing this while helping my dad run a quiz night (I do the marking) and DH is at a stag do where the activities have been paid for by the stag's dad, so just food and drink to pay for.

Tomorrow we'll be going to a local beer festival but as I'll be driving it shouldn't be too expensive (although they do have yummy local apple juice).

Happy bank holiday weekend everyone!

• themadvix
    Options
    Happy Tuesday everyone! (Nearly wrote Monday :) )

Hmm... I'm not sure how much we spent at the beer festival, but more than we should have done I think, even though DH only had a pint and I had a couple of bottles of apple juice. Still, it was good fun (it's a really family-friendly affair with face painting, bouncy castle, live music - lots of people watching and things to enjoy).

Had BBQ lunch at the in-laws yesterday - very nice and covered all our eating needs (didn't even have an evening snack!). MIL is very good at feeding people :) Also met our friend and her new baby - he was gorgeous, but fast asleep for our visit!

MOT'd the mini this morning - I drove it for the first time in 9 years yesterday! :eek: It passed, so we're all ready for the London to Brighton later in the month. (Cost £38 instead of £50 :) )

Money shuffle day today and I was **very** pleased to see that invoice amounts are significantly better than they have been for months, so next pay day should be a delight! (And I'll be able to settle the debts to my savings).

Small sale on Ebay posted :)

Meal plan in place for this week as we count down to holiday. My brain has now reached the point where I can think about what I'm actually going to pack (rather than just 'clothes'!). Intend to get most of it into suitcase/piles this evening/tomorrow evening.

Things to be grateful for:
    * Sunshine - washing out and lovely walk to and from garage for MOT
    * The extra effort to get things done in the evenings over the last few weeks seems to be paying off - we're relatively on top of house/life things (have even written wedding card and put voucher in for end of May!)
    * Lovely weekend all round with friends and family - was action packed but really enjoyable :)

• Karmacat
    Options
    themadvix wrote: »
    Hmm... I'm not sure how much we spent at the beer festival, but more than we should have done I think, even though DH only had a pint and I had a couple of bottles of apple juice. Still, it was good fun (it's a really family-friendly affair with face painting, bouncy castle, live music - lots of people watching and things to enjoy).
    Thats perfectly reasonable to spend that amount!
    MOT'd the mini this morning - I drove it for the first time in 9 years yesterday! :eek: It passed, so we're all ready for the London to Brighton later in the month. (Cost £38 instead of £50 :) )
    Ooh! Which rally? There's a lot :p bikes, kit cars, Jags, all sorts :) pm if necessary, I have a vested interest in your answer :o cos of where I live :D

Save
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport