Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread part 2½

Options

Comments

• cjj_2
    cjj_2 Posts: 6,588 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Aww rhosy I hope the little pony picks up bless her. Thinking of you all & dd.

Good luck with the job hunting. I'm not looking forward to going back. I was struggling with some mental health issues at work and other people have taken it personally. I didn't know how to be around them. Now they dislike me and make it obvious at times. I want to leave but I need the money xx
    Cherish those you have in your life because you never know when they won't be there anymore.

No matter how you feel, get up, dress up & never give up.
  • Sunflower1227
    Options
    Sad news re Savvy Sal.
    Sally died yesterday at 7pm in Martlets Hospice after her battle with cancer. She had been so very brave and had made it very clear she wanted to go - we will miss her dreadfully.
    A few weeks ago she asked me to let you all know when she died as this thread has been a huge part of her life for years. A fantastic hobby that kept her mind active, her body fit with walking, and her bank balance healthy. She hasn’t spent a penny on groceries etc for 5 years and has left us with enough tins, jars, toiletries etc to last for months.
    She truly valued the friendships she made on here,and although she found talking difficult, just about her last words to me were “Anything on the thread this morning” !
    Best wishes to you all

Deepest condolences to you and your family x
    I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. :)

Weight loss 3 stone :D
  • hampydoodums
    Options
    Evening luvlies

Marigold, so very sorry to read about your dear sister Sal’s passing. She will be greatly missed. Thinking of you and your family
    :happylove Nanny to 2 Cherubs :happylove
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,968 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Sorry to hear the sad news. savvy sal and I exchanged messages beginning of July when she was considering the start of chemo, she said she had to give it a go as she would only have 3 months without it.

It seems it did give her an extra few months, I hope they were valuable to her and her loved ones.

Condolences to her family, she will be sadly missed.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • simone10
    simone10 Posts: 1,089 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Sad news re Savvy Sal.
    Sally died yesterday at 7pm in Martlets Hospice after her battle with cancer. She had been so very brave and had made it very clear she wanted to go - we will miss her dreadfully.
    A few weeks ago she asked me to let you all know when she died as this thread has been a huge part of her life for years. A fantastic hobby that kept her mind active, her body fit with walking, and her bank balance healthy. She hasn’t spent a penny on groceries etc for 5 years and has left us with enough tins, jars, toiletries etc to last for months.
    She truly valued the friendships she made on here,and although she found talking difficult, just about her last words to me were “Anything on the thread this morning” !
    Best wishes to you all

Savvy Sal was the only friend of Martin's I've ever met in person. I was on holiday in Brighton a few years ago when I was doing a target shop and she was in front of me in the queue with her target shop on the belt. I asked her if she was a friend of Martin and she wanted to know what had given her away. Unfortunately I can't actually remember what we were targeting at the time.

I hope she passed as comfortably as was possible and she's a legend within the forum and her wombled receipts and input will be deeply missed.

I hope you will stay with us Marigold as Savvy Sal was teaching you her savvy ways, and maybe you have the wombling bug too?
    The end is nigh
  • Sarahdol75
    Sarahdol75 Posts: 7,717 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sarah,

Just looking at your signature

Walk 2000 miles in a year challenge 2017 -

229.37 January 222.5 February 218.80 March
    290.10 April 248.49 May 130.73 June 220.51 July
    162.39 August 311.97 September
    227 October Total so far 2261 miles

That is some achievement, how the heck have you achieved this? It is over 6 miles a day.

Are you replicating this challenge next year?

I fancy doing one of 15,000 steps a day (on average)... I will need to figure out what this is in miles/kilometres

Well done

:T:T:T:T:T

Hi, I have not managed to update my walking as my phone has been playing up and not registering my fitbit. I have a new phone now so within the next few days I shall be starting again.

I am hoping to achieve a better challenge than that completed this year.

I average 20 000 steps a day, that is walking my dog twice a day and any exercise classes that I do, usually zumba and clubbercise which are 4 classes a week.

I also clean a pre school every evening so that adds to the walking and obviously my own house, I do wear my fitbit all the time, only take it off to wash up.

Do you fancy starting a new one with me then :)
  • Sunshinemummy
    Options
    zippydooda wrote: »
    2.2 feet is an average womans step so * 15000 is 33,000 ft = 6 1/4 miles per day

measure your step from heel to heel.

but if your just taking steps around the house for example, loads of them will be much shorter

another example if your dithering around the sink doing your duty by washing up. you wont move anywhere. but your small steps may be 30.

Oh heck that is rather a lot to achieve.... and I definitely do not dither around near the sink, or near an ironing board.... that is OH's job!

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
  • Savvybuyer
    Savvybuyer Posts: 22,332 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I am sorry to hear the news about Sal. Unfortunately this horrible illness gives people no alternative to having to leave us. I've lost too many members of my family to this (one is too many, but you know what I mean) and now we have all lost someone as part of the Elite family. I can only send my condolences to those closest to her - it is a hard time and I am sorry for your loss - and remember that she is now no longer in suffering. Look after yourself and the people around you, it will pull you though even if it seems distant at the moment, and remember the good times that you spent with her. There is little more I can say at the moment (though of course I act as a continuing source of support if anyone needs it while I am here) and I'm sorry to hear this.
  • Sunshinemummy
    Sunshinemummy Posts: 17,377 Forumite
    edited 28 December 2017 at 12:56AM
    Options
    Sarahdol75 wrote: »
    Hi, I have not managed to update my walking as my phone has been playing up and not registering my fitbit. I have a new phone now so within the next few days I shall be starting again.

I am hoping to achieve a better challenge than that completed this year.

I average 20 000 steps a day, that is walking my dog twice a day and any exercise classes that I do, usually zumba and clubbercise which are 4 classes a week.

I also clean a pre school every evening so that adds to the walking and obviously my own house, I do wear my fitbit all the time, only take it off to wash up.

Do you fancy starting a new one with me then :)

20,000 :eek::eek::eek::eek:

You live a very active lifestyle in comparison to me... I get out of bed, walk to the shower, walk to the car, walk to the office, walk to meetings....I do walk to the loo and the kitchen... I have been walking in the evenings doing 10,000 steps with my average 5,000 steps a day that tends to make me 15,000.

20,000 steps is about 3 hours walking for me.... I don't think I could achieve that..... I'll go for the 15,000 and when I can bump it up at weekends... so you're on!

DS3 bought me a garmin smart watch for Christmas which is linked to my phone... I am still learning how to use it.

So we have a joint challenge, shall we start on the 1st January?

:D:D:D:D:D

God I do not believe I am agreeing to this :p:p:p:p
  • davemorton
    davemorton Posts: 29,066 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    First of all, can I just say...big hug to ccj!
    TrulyMadly wrote: »
    I was just reading back through sal’s posts trying to find a conversation I’d had with her and realised that the last thread was wiped out:o

It didn’t seem important then:o

This says everything about this thread. It has been said in the past that the 'bilge' (®Dave, not Loccar ;) ) gets in the way, but thats what this thread is all about. Yes, it is to save some people money, it is to enable some people to feed their families, It is to enable some people to afford nicer things or holidays for their loved ones, and yes, it is about somewhere where people can come and chat to their 'family' if they need to/want to. Most importantly, it is for whatever people need it to be.
    rhosynbach wrote: »
    Thanks, yes especially for dd2 she has a special bond with him, his mum was a one of 2 rescue ponies she sadly was to poorly to survive the birth but left a tiny brown foal, and we hand reared him dd2 at 3 used to give him bottles he was meant to be rehomed but she loved him to much so we kept him. The other mare was fattened up, and oh trained her to ride then was rehomed. the foal was called cocoa but I never knew Welsh mountain ponies are brown at birth then moult out :o he was actually white but the name stuck. He is now in a stable with a hot feed and plenty of best hay, we will just see how he gets on but he is old. At least he is warm and comfy.
    We are all well thanks another week then I am job hunting. how are you. xx
    Aww bless, hope cocoa if fine, but if not, you have obviously shared lots of nice times with cocoa. Job wise, I know some people round here have set up a cooking meals business, advertising them on FB, a sort of meals on wheels thing if you know what I mean, for people that cant/wont cook. Wholesome meals that are healthy. Could be a change, and no boss?
    Savvybuyer wrote: »
    I am sorry to hear the news about Sal. Unfortunately this horrible illness gives people no alternative to having to leave us. I've lost too many members of my family to this (one is too many, but you know what I mean) and now we have all lost someone as part of the Elite family. I can only send my condolences to those closest to her - it is a hard time and I am sorry for your loss - and remember that she is now no longer in suffering. Look after yourself and the people around you, it will pull you though even if it seems distant at the moment, and remember the good times that you spent with her. There is little more I can say at the moment (though of course I act as a continuing source of support if anyone needs it while I am here) and I'm sorry to hear this.
    Savvy, what a wonderful post. :beer:

Love and peace to all.
    “Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?”
    Juvenal, The Sixteen Satires
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business