Which ISP?

Options
Hey, first post so please be kind :j

I am looking to leave BT, they have been shocking in getting issues with house move sorted which resulted in over a month of being offline which could've been handled better. Anyway its going up to £50 odd a month in 2 -3 months.

Looking around I have narrowed to Vodafone, Sky, TalkTalk, EE or Plusnet for Fibre Broadband of up to 76mb (currently getting just short of 70mb with BT).

With Vodafone being the cheapest at £26, TalkTalk £27.50, Plusnet £29.99, Sky £30 and EE £31 per month.

I'm leaning towards Sky as recently taken out a good deal with Sky Q which is getting installed Saturday coming. However putting me off I will not be able to use my own router.

Yet Vodafone, TalkTalk, Plusnet and EE all permit to use own router on their networks.

Has anyone had any experience with the 5 networks? Vodafone looks good but do they actually have their own servers etc or outsource it like SSE do to Daisy Telecoms.

Thanks.

Comments

• onomatopoeia99
    onomatopoeia99 Posts: 6,964 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Read through this board for complaints about various ISPs, or go to ispreview and try to find the worst of a bad lot out of those five.

Buying internet connectivity on price is rarely sensible, it's not like gas or electric and the ISP you chose actually makes a difference to the service you get. Though I don't think there's much between the ones you list as you're buying at the "poundland" end of the market.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • NorthEasterner123
    Options
    Why should it make a difference? Mainly the customer service side of things and problem solving, billing etc. The connection side should all be the same regardless of ISP since all comes down the same wiring, phone line, exchange etc.
  • onomatopoeia99
    Options
    The connection side should all be the same regardless of ISP since all comes down the same wiring, phone line, exchange etc.

That's the backhaul, which is a fraction of providing an internet connection.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Looking around I have narrowed to Vodafone, Sky, TalkTalk, EE or Plusnet for Fibre Broadband of up to 76mb (currently getting just short of 70mb with BT).

With Vodafone being the cheapest at £26, TalkTalk £27.50, Plusnet £29.99, Sky £30 and EE £31 per month.

I'm leaning towards Sky as recently taken out a good deal with Sky Q which is getting installed Saturday coming. However putting me off I will not be able to use my own router.

Vodafone have such shockingly bad customer service that I wouldn't touch them if you paid me.

I use my own router with Sky -- it's very easy to hack the supplied router to extract your login details, which you can then use on a third-party router.

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/extracting-sky-router-passwords/51163-how-get-username-password-sky-hub-sr101.html
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Out of the ISPs you mention, I would consider Sky & EE but 1 I wouldn't use is Vodafone(or another word if you like) just based on the amount of users reporting problems with them.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Why should it make a difference? Mainly the customer service side of things and problem solving, billing etc. The connection side should all be the same regardless of ISP since all comes down the same wiring, phone line, exchange etc.

Customer service as a priority go to Zen or A&A .
    Out of the others and depending upon services required i would be looking at Sky .
  • NorthEasterner123
    Options
    Thanks for your advice.

Ruled out Vodafone now. It will either be Sky, TalkTalk or Plusnet. Depending who is offering best cashback.

Which is more reliable for cashback TCB or Quidco?
  • boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 13 March 2018 at 11:51AM
    Options
    Thanks for your advice.

Ruled out Vodafone now. It will either be Sky, TalkTalk or Plusnet. Depending who is offering best cashback.

Which is more reliable for cashback TCB or Quidco?
    I've found Quidco to be recently, couple of years ago I found TCB better, think its pot luck, just go for the best offer. I'd go Sky for the ISP...
  • shaggy
    shaggy Posts: 1,030 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    everyone has their preferences. Be very careful simply to dismiss one over the other on price or of a bad customer service experience someone may have had.

I personally have found BT reasonable, and have been with them the past 18 months or so. Even when they increased price they offered me a lower priced deal with free BT Sport thrown in.

I find BT's router as having one of the best and strongest ranges especially in a large house. Plusnet is the same as well I believe.

Talk Talk - be careful as connecting to some VPN via talk talk is problematic. I discounted this as I work from home a lot and means cant log on to work from home easily.
  • manutd99
    manutd99 Posts: 482 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    which one did you do with?

Im considering plusnet. TalkTalk have 18 months contract so dont want to be tied into 18 months. Had a bad review about sky from a friend so leaves plusnet.

Anyone have plusnet? any good/bad reviews
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport