Time of sick

Options
I’ve been in my current role for 6 months. I’ve been ill with colds since late November and Friday I felt awful and should have asked to go home as I was too ill. I’ve called 111 and they said I don’t need to see a doctor atm but I do need rest.

My department don’t seem to be keen on people taking sick days so I’m a bit worried about taking time of. The sickness policy at work is two incidences in 6 months, which I will now trigger. The other incident was when I got knocked of my bike on my way to work, so that was genuine as I did go to work and leave shortly after.

I know I won’t be sacked or anything, and can self certificate for up to a week but because of the culture of the job I don’t know if they will think my illness doesn’t warrent time of work. It’s my first job in an office, I’m used to working remotely so if I was il I would work for a few hours, rest etc.

My work colleagues won’t be under stress as it’s a really quite time of year.

Can anyone give me reassuranc or tips? No one else takes time of work in my department, they were even given extra holiday fornit having any sickness in a year.

Comments

• BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Don't think anyone can give you the re-assurance you want with only 6 months service.

Personally I would ignore 111 advice and make docs appointment and get signed off if needed. Being ill since November isn't a normal cold.
  • UserName123
    Options
    ^oh I won’t loose my job, that’s not my concern.
    Yes I should go to the GP Monday.
  • UserName123
    Options
    Just to be clear I work in a small
    Department and I’ve been working remotely for many years so I don’t know what is “normal” or not.
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    BoGoF wrote: »
    Personally I would ignore 111 advice and make docs appointment and get signed off if needed.

Being signed off does not make you unsackable (not that the OP seems concerned there).

Also the GP will say. You can self certificate for a week come back if you are still ill and stop wasting my time (OP if you really have just a cold (and yes they can be bad and require time off work) do not waste GP time please, though you sound like you have a compromised immune system so if you have not it might be worth investigating).
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,489 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    If you have been feeling ill since November you really should be seeing your GP as there could be a serious underlying issue. As said above, colds don't last nearly 2 months.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,306 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Of course employers don't like people being off - they employ you because they want you working. But unless your colleagues are very unobservant they will have noticed you are suffering and not be surprised you are off. You will be more productive if you can get well.

If you have been ill since November then I don't think Monday off, giving you a 3 day weekend is likely to cure it - you hopefully had a few days rest over Christmas and the New Year - and you have given it a more than fair chance to get better by itself. Your doctor won't feel you are wasting their time with an appointment.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • UserName123
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I had the usual stat days of over Christmas and new year. I felt ok to work generally, although I would have felt appreciated if I had time of work as usually I would been on bed rest and recovered in a somewhat normal time frame.

However as the guy next to me went to work when he had a “terrible cold” and three people around me went to work with sniffles etc, I thought it was “normal” to go to work with a cold. (Team of 7)

I don’t know if I’m getting a cold straight after each other or I have a compromised immune system. I did feel absolutely awful Friday and did have my head on the desk most of the day. Not sure if my boss saw me but the person sitting next to me did.

I’m not having a dilusion of grandeur but I won’t be sacked because the directors won’t allow my position to be re-filled. Obviously if I do something bad then they would have to sack me but having a genuine illness isn’t a reason to sack someone when they haven’t been of work and wouldn’t be of work long term.

Would it be better to get a doctor to sign me of or will they not when I’m in a period of self certificate?
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,489 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    It's not necessarily a case of getting signed off, but you should make an appointment to see your GP if you have been experiencing repeated periods of illness. The GP may want to get blood tests done to ensure there isn't a serious underlying problem. Arrange the appointment out of office hours if possible, otherwise let your boss know you have an appointment during the day as it's the only time available.
  • UserName123
    Options
    ^thanks.
    I’m not going to work Monday. I’m sick of being ill and I need to break the cycle.
  • Lioness_Twinkletoes
    Options
    I did feel absolutely awful Friday and did have my head on the desk most of the day. Not sure if my boss saw me but the person sitting next to me did.
    That's so dramatic it's laughable. If I were your manager, I'd be telling you to sit up and do your work or make the decision you are too ill to work and go home. I pity the colleague having to sit next to such amateur dramatics.
    I’m not having a dilusion of grandeur but I won’t be sacked because the directors won’t allow my position to be re-filled. Obviously if I do something bad then they would have to sack me but having a genuine illness isn’t a reason to sack someone when they haven’t been of work and wouldn’t be of work long term.
    You are wrong here. A person that has had two incidence of sick leave in six months would be ringing alarm bells with me. You are not indispensable - and in fact, you're not in the least bit reliable at the moment. Be under no illusion you can be sacked for excessive sickness.
    Would it be better to get a doctor to sign me of or will they not when I’m in a period of self certificate?
    You self certificate for up to seven days. Then you'll need to be signed off by a Doctor.

Given that you've had a cold since November, I'd suggest you make an appointment with your Doctor as this isn't normal. Don't think it will make any difference with your employers though. If they've had enough of your sickness a Fit Note from your Doctor won't make a jot of difference.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure