Time of sick

Options

Comments

• Lioness_Twinkletoes
    Options
    Once again the majority of the people on this board go on the attack mode instead of being in the real work world.

I’ve never said my role was indespensable, no ones role is. I don’t appreciate certain members of this board attacking a genuine illness and saying I’m not working within the policy and procedures of the company, which I am.

FYI the sickness policy is two incidences within a six month period triggers a sickness reviews. My boss wouldn’t sack me imo for a genuine illness. If he does, so what. My health is more important and if he’s going to go above company policy so what. I’ll just find another job.

Those two 'so what' comments demonstrate an awful lot about the mindset of the OP.
  • UserName123
    Options
    @nicechap I’ve spoken to the team and what they’ve told me about sickness. I’ve also asked why they don’t take time of sick when they are coughing all around me.... as are half a dozen other people in the building.

@Lioness Twinkletoes is what? I’ll find another job. The company offers full sickness pay for a reason. I’m skilled and can find another job, my health is more important than continuing a cycle of being ill.
  • UserName123
    Options
    Thanks @theoretica

I’ve heard as I will now trigger a sickness review it’s better to be of for a longer period of time rather than a couple of shorter instances. So should I take the week of, instead of however many days it takes me to feel better? That seems a bit silly but
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,314 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks @theoretica

I’ve heard as I will now trigger a sickness review it’s better to be of for a longer period of time rather than a couple of shorter instances. So should I take the week of, instead of however many days it takes me to feel better? That seems a bit silly but

More than a bit silly - all the way to thanks for the laugh!
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • Jane_B
    Jane_B Posts: 131 Forumite
    Options
    I am surprised by some of these comments (although from reading through a few threads I shouldn't be) I don't understand those saying 'with your sickness record good luck finding another job' 2 incidences of sickness is hardly a sickness record!

I am glad I don't work where some of these posters do (or work for them) if that's the attitude some places having in regards to sickness. Everywhere I have ever worked have actively told you to take time off if ill, come in with a sniffle get sent home! and being ill at your desk (head on desk) is hardly odd/pathetic if you're ill and worried about taking time off, that's exactly what can happen.

OP if you are ill, you are ill - no point worrying about work, your health is more important - focus on that!
  • Exodi
    Exodi Posts: 2,877 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Lordy, where to start!
    asked to go home as I was too ill. I’ve called 111 and they said I don’t need to see a doctor.
    The other incident was when I got knocked of my bike on my way to work, so that was genuine

Glad to hear the bike incident was 'genuine' :rotfl:
    Thank goodness you aren’t a manager as you sound like a right idiot.

Nice, I definitely think these forums need more attacks on people who offer advice in their free time.
    they wouldn’t be able to fill my position as the director will say no. It was hard enough to get my position refilled and there is a ban on spending atm.

If that was me, I'd be absolutely bricking myself that the company is going through financial troubles and the director doesn't want my position.

But somehow, you've turned it into being indispensable? Personally, I wouldn't say your optimistic, I think your naive.
    I’ve heard as I will now trigger a sickness review

It's comical how the start of this thread you portray being completely indispensable and then later on begin to be like "so what if I'm sacked, I don't care!". Coupled with the above sounding like you've just been asked to attend a formal sickness review.

Good luck with everything though, I'm privileged that I never really get ill so I'm admittedly ignorant to sickness issues.
    Know what you don't
  • UserName123
    Options
    @Exodi perhaps keep what was said in context?

Also it’s not unusual for directors to cut all spending, its part of their job.
  • UserName123
    Options
    Thank you @Jane_B I’ve been a lurker on this forum for many years and it’s helped me a lot with money issues. There do seem to be a few angry people who do like to scare people or plain argumentative.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,660 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Jane_B wrote: »
    I am surprised by some of these comments (although from reading through a few threads I shouldn't be) I don't understand those saying 'with your sickness record good luck finding another job' 2 incidences of sickness is hardly a sickness record!

I am glad I don't work where some of these posters do (or work for them) if that's the attitude some places having in regards to sickness. Everywhere I have ever worked have actively told you to take time off if ill, come in with a sniffle get sent home! and being ill at your desk (head on desk) is hardly odd/pathetic if you're ill and worried about taking time off, that's exactly what can happen.

OP if you are ill, you are ill - no point worrying about work, your health is more important - focus on that!

In recent years, many employers (including the Civil Service) have adopted a very rigid policy of allowing only a few sick days in a 12 month period. Exceed that amount and you can be facing a warning or dismissal. Hence the comments of good luck in finding another job.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • UserName123
    Options
    @lincroft1710 yeah but it’s nit as straight forward as Sally from accounts has had a cold and is therefore sacked.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure