Time of sick

Options

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,660 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    @lincroft1710 yeah but it’s nit as straight forward as Sally from accounts has had a cold and is therefore sacked.

I never said it was.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Pension_Geek
    Options
    @lincroft1710 yeah but it’s nit as straight forward as Sally from accounts has had a cold and is therefore sacked.

It isn't, but I have worked in places where people's probation has been extended for two instances of sickness in a 6 month period, and also seen people not get kept on beyond that period for the same thing. Pretty much every job i have had has had a robust absence policy, and falling foul of it wont help you if you say, want to progress.
    Not an expert, but like pensions, tax questions and giving guidance. There is no substitute for tailored financial advice.
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

We work on a trigger system too. When I did the hr for my last department every sickness had a return to work meeting. If you were off twice in 6 months but had less than 1 year service then to be honest this was pretty much how it was (for colds certainly, operations or compassionate leave didn't count). If you had under 2 years service it depended on how well your overall performance was.
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • jobbingmusician
    Options
    Does anyone else on here feel, as I do, that the whole sickness issue is small compared with the unprofessionalism of being in work with your head on the desk? I think you need a VERY good work record to get away with that - or to be a very immature person who needs sending home when they are sick.

(To give some context, I was that person once, when I was relatively young and foolish. I felt so ill on one day at work I could hardly raise my head from the desk. I was soooo ashamed because I thought I was suffering from a hangover - in fact it was more than that, I discovered later. At the time I had 5 years' service, was based in a different building from my boss, and my staff were seriously worried about me because it was so far from my normal behaviour! :D)
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 15 January 2019 at 1:19AM
    Options
    Under 2 years service they can get rid of you and don't need a reason.
    My boss wouldn’t sack me imo for a genuine illness. If he does, so what. My health is more important and if he’s going to go above company policy so what. I’ll just find another job.

At least you are aware, good luck.
  • UserName123
    Options
    @jobbingmusician I went to work and was unable to function. I plodded along as like you and some people on this thread you seem to think being ill is a reason to be sacked. Shall I just go to work in future and get worse?
  • Pension_Geek
    Options
    @jobbingmusician I went to work and was unable to function. I plodded along as like you and some people on this thread you seem to think being ill is a reason to be sacked. Shall I just go to work in future and get worse?

What people are telling you is that absence from work, legitimate or otherwise, could cost you your job. Especially if you have been in that job a short time.
    Not an expert, but like pensions, tax questions and giving guidance. There is no substitute for tailored financial advice.
  • jobbingmusician
    Options

But you didn't 'plod along' did you? You behaved unprofessionally (as did I). It concerns me that you don't seem to realise this!

And yes, the people on this thread are correct. Being ill is a legitimate reason to be sacked - it's a competence issue. Employers have to be careful about disability discrimination, but apart from that they are allowed to sack you for illness, whether it's a hangover (as I originally thought mine was, to my shame...and discovered it wasn't) or a life threatening illness.

Be clear I'm not supporting this stance, or saying it's how I behave as an employer. I am simply stating the law.
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • UserName123
    Options
    Lol I do wish people would say the whole story instead of snippets.

Having a long term illness that prevents a person from 1) doing their job fully 2) absences is reason to sack someone.

Someone having a cold and taking a few days of to recover isn’t.

The only reason why “a cold” would be reason to sack someone would be due to repeatability and unexplained absences. Which is obviously not the case with me.
  • Ozzuk
    Ozzuk Posts: 1,884 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think you're missing the point, they don't 'need' any reason to sack you, given your length of service. And two sickness in 6 months could indeed be a cause for concern, or it may not be. It would be prudent to avoid sick leave for the foreseeable future, but some employers are more worried about this than others.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure