Think I nearly got ripped off on this extractor fan replacement - anyone know 'plug in' type?

Options
When we got our flat the extractor fan was pretty much dead. Had a quote from an electrician this week to put a new one in. £40 + £40 to install.

Anyway, twice he didn't turn up with some excuse and wants to come next week again.

Anyway curiousity got hold of me and I thought I'd at least unscrew it and see what's inside the box it's mounted in.

Looks like the thing just plugs into a socket type connection!

Here's some photos, I'm hoping someone recognise the fan and knows what I could but that would simply plug in too. Google left me more confused unfortunately. Fan seems to be 4inch.

Pretty grimy photos coming up. Not advisable while eating :D

Unfortunately the forum wouldn't let me post links to the photos so best I can say is there are 4 connection holes in a straight line mounted inside the box, and the fan itself has 3 connectors (no earth one on this model) and they simply plug into the mounting area. It's a Silavent fan model 258885

Comments

• coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,674 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you post your photo links with a few spaces in, someone can re-post them
  • Vanderlust
    Options
    Thanks coffeehound, clever thinking! Put a space between the h and t at start :)

h ttps://imgur.com/2JvGtqT

h ttps://imgur.com/ldqcopL

h ttps://imgur.com/xNNtADE

h ttps://imgur.com/Dlp7XGl
  • Risteard
    Risteard Posts: 1,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You weren't being ripped off. You were actually getting the job done very cheaply.

Can't be bothered to edit your links to see photos.
    RECI & Safe Electric Registered Electrical Contractor
    NICEIC Approved Contractor
    ECA Registered Member
  • Vanderlust
    Options
    It just plugs in and out. What would the labour cost be for? It literally took me a minute to uninstall it. Would be just as quick to install it. Turns out this is called a 'push in' fan. Been asking about this in a few other places :)
  • Risteard
    Risteard Posts: 1,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Vanderlust wrote: »
    It just plugs in and out. What would the labour cost be for?

It would be for the labour. It still needs to be mounted. He needs to attend etc.

And no harm to you extractor fans don't generally plug in so I've no idea why you assume that.
    RECI & Safe Electric Registered Electrical Contractor
    NICEIC Approved Contractor
    ECA Registered Member
  • scd3scd4
    scd3scd4 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It just plugs in and out. What would the labour cost be for? It literally took me a minute to uninstall it. Would be just as quick to install it. Turns out this is called a 'push in' fan. Been asking about this in a few other places :)

Well he is not going to do it for free is he!!

Mine did not plug in!!
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    It just plugs in and out. What would the labour cost be for? It literally took me a minute to uninstall it.

If the fan was hard wired in and didn't have any fancy quick disconnect connectors, it would have taken quite a bit more time to remove and replace. The £40 labour would be for his expertise & knowledge as well as the total time to do the job (i.e. sourcing a fan, travel time to collect and get to site). A five minute job that involves a couple of hours faffing around, £40 sounds quite reasonable.

Now that you have the fan out, do yourself and the family a favour and hoover all that dust out - It is a health risk and potentially a fire safety issue.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • Vanderlust
    Options
    No seriously guys.

It plugs in and out.

Like the plug on a vacuum cleaner or any appliance. The work mounting the surround etc was done by the previous installer. Seems that this type of fan is designed to be convenient after first install - so the user can simply plug in a new one themselves. Think because the photos aren't showing up there's some confusion over this, but elsewhere the responses are much different as they can see and understand the fan

Thanks anyway guys, but I got sorted on another forum. Cheers!
  • Kentish_Dave
    Options
    He has to get to your house, do the job, and go back, and he’ll be responsible if it breaks, so it seems like a very good price.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure