Flight delayed! No compensation for free child place

Options
Does anyone know if it’s correct that I can’t claim flight delay for my child who was part of a holiday package on a ‘free child place’. We’ve received compensation for myself and my partner?

Comments

• Justice13075
    Justice13075 Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you paid anything even an admin charge for you child they will be due compensation. Most airlines will charge a £20 admin fee. Remember legally if the child is due compensation it is their money not yours.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Gooselaz wrote: »
    Does anyone know if it’s correct that I can’t claim flight delay for my child who was part of a holiday package on a ‘free child place’. We’ve received compensation for myself and my partner?

Why on earth would you get compensated for something you didn't pay for?
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    _shel wrote: »

The post above yours makes it clear, you don't.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,489 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    _shel wrote: »

I think the current rules are ridiculous anyway. Delay compensation should be limited to the cost of the flight, plus additional accommodation and ancilliary costs. No, I don't work for an airline.
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If you paid anything even an admin charge for you child they will be due compensation. Most airlines will charge a £20 admin fee. Remember legally if the child is due compensation it is their money not yours.

OP reports it as a FREE child place. This would make sense if a package holiday. They can't call it FREE then charge £20.

IMO unreasonable to expect compo on something that was FREE in the first place.

The compo culture has got out of hand.

The same people will be moaning next year how the cost of holidays have increased and few FREE child spaces are being given by tour operators.
  • Gooselaz
    Options
    Notice I put “free child” place, it wasn’t free we over paid on the adult prices, it’s just another scam from TUI to attract people to book. We booked the holiday because we were attending a wedding. I’d like compensation because of the mistreatment we received, a long delay with no information from the holiday company at all. My 3 year old deserves more than to be stuck in an airport longer than he should be, so in my eyes he deserves the compensation more than anyone.
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    With all due respect Tellit, the reason for the compensation fee is punative, its raison d'etre was to "encourage" airlines to change the way they abuse passengers.
    Alas, 14 years on from the legislation coming into effect, airlines pay little heed to it, have not changed their business practicies and models and continue to deny boarding, cancel at short notice and delay passengers excessively with considerable incovenience and distress.
    Airlines think they are above a continent wide law and continue to put every obstacle, delaying tactic and downright lies, in the way of passengers getting redress.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    from Vauban's guide
    2.3 To qualify for compensation, each passenger needs to have paid a fare available to the general public. This means that children and infants do qualify for compensation, if they were not travelling on a free child place. Tickets bought with airmiles also qualify for compensation.
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Notice I put “free child” place, it wasn’t free we over paid on the adult prices, it’s just another scam from TUI to attract people to book. We booked the holiday because we were attending a wedding. I’d like compensation because of the mistreatment we received, a long delay with no information from the holiday company at all. My 3 year old deserves more than to be stuck in an airport longer than he should be, so in my eyes he deserves the compensation more than anyone.

So if you knew it was a scam from TUI,

a) why not report them for this practise

b) fly with someone else
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options

I guess you have the option to give him some or all of your compo.

If it is a FREE child place and you did not pay anything for your child to travel on holiday then there is no compensation due.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure