Bulb energy - Final account 10 months after moving

Options
Afternoon All,

I'm turning to this amazing forum for advice on a issue from a property that I previously lived in in August 2018

After moving out in August last year I settled all relevant accounts including bulb who was my energy supplier. the bill was then adjusted I think after meeting readings and bulb made me refund and I heard no more

Then in June this year they have contacted me asked for an outstanding balance to be paid basically 10 months after moving out from property?

The sums in question are only small in the grand scheme of things but I don't believe I am liable for this charges as I have already received the refund

Would love to hear from anyone who has experienced this either with bulb or otherwise

Happy hunting

J

Comments

• dogshome
    dogshome Posts: 3,877 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm afraid suppliers have up to 6 years to adjust billing errors, even after you have left a property.

However they can't just issue a demand for money - they must produce a proper bill showing meter reads, dates and tariff rates that justify the demand
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The length of time is irrelevant. If the money is owed it must be paid.

The fact a refund was made is irrelevant. If the money is owed it must be paid.

So the question is, is the money owed? Only by looking at the relevant meter readings, and the payments and refunds involved, can it be ascertained if the debt is valid or not.
  • bristolleedsfan
    bristolleedsfan Posts: 12,092 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    dogshome wrote: »
    I'm afraid suppliers have up to 6 years to adjust billing errors, even after you have left a property.

However they can't just issue a demand for money - they must produce a proper bill showing meter reads, dates and tariff rates that justify the demand

Where does 6 years come from, Bulb is an energy company :eek:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2018/03/energy-firms-to-be-banned-from-backbilling-beyond-12-months-/
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    G_M wrote: »
    The length of time is irrelevant. If the money is owed it must be paid.

The fact a refund was made is irrelevant. If the money is owed it must be paid.

So the question is, is the money owed? Only by looking at the relevant meter readings, and the payments and refunds involved, can it be ascertained if the debt is valid or not.

The back billing rules imposed by Ofgem limit the time to 12 months if the billing error is the fault of the supplier.

The Limitations Act limits the time to 6 years in England, Wales & NI. It's 5 years in Scotland. After 6 years, it's statute barred, and the courts won't want to know if the energy company tries to sue the customer.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure