free wood how far would you drive for it??

Just wondering what others opinions on this ?? I always keep a eye out for free wood as I'm luckly to have the space to store it. This lot was 12 miles away took 20 mins. It was on the way back to collect another bargin that I got off Facebook! ! I was told that's too far just for wood. I've nearly filled up the outside side cardboard with it and there's more lefted if I want it.

It's old horse fencing posts etc.

Thanks
1 /10 nsd 😀

Comments

• km1423
    km1423 Posts: 145 Forumite
    berries wrote: »
    Just wondering what others opinions on this ?? I always keep a eye out for free wood as I'm luckly to have the space to store it. This lot was 12 miles away took 20 mins. It was on the way back to collect another bargin that I got off Facebook! ! I was told that's too far just for wood. I've nearly filled up the outside side cardboard with it and there's more lefted if I want it.

It's old horse fencing posts etc.

Thanks

I would limit my drive to 10 - 12 miles for good stuff. Like you always on the look out. Even been lucky to get a tree cut down on my street - now that is local:j:j

If you want loyalty - get a dog:rotfl::rotfl:

All my posts are my opinion, and the actions I would take.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    km1423 wrote: »
    Even been lucky to get a tree cut down on my street - now that is local:j:j

Heard the noise of a chainsaw yesterday morning, so went out to investigate - A tree cutting gang had just started to take out a huge conifer (Cedar ?) at the end of my road. Someone had already put in first dibs on the logs, and they had only just started... Managed to negotiate second dibs with the offer of some cash.

Today was spent chopping and splitting the logs. One of my lodgers helped out with the splitting and stacking - Poor lass is absolutely exhausted now, and there are still a few big lumps to split.

Not having a car, I will only go as far as I can walk and try to negotiate delivery. Trouble is, I have competition from other wood burners along my road, so I need to be quick off the mark as soon as the sound of a chainsaw starts up. Not done too bad this year - Got a pile ready to fill up the wood shed in a year or so.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • FreeBear wrote: »
    Heard the noise of a chainsaw yesterday morning, so went out to investigate -

That's my technique too! Plus letting people know, which was how I got the last two car loads of ash. Next door having their massive willow down helped too (just rolled the cheeses 5 yards!) and although it's for two years from now the outside seems to be drying remarkably quickly based on moisture meter readings. I haven't even split it yet as I've so much for my small garden that it's in rounds for ease of storage at the moment.

I'm an avid collector of pallets too: to make wood stores, compost heaps at the allotment and plenty of kindling.

PS: don't give them ideas, don't offer cash, just flutter your eyelids and maybe a bottle or two of beer if it's hot or cuppa if cold.. ;)
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Next door having their massive willow down ... and although it's for two years from now the outside seems to be drying remarkably quickly based on moisture meter readings. I haven't even split it yet

I have found most logs split much easier when wet. Leaving them to dry, and certain timbers are nigh on impossible to split - Eucalyptus is one.
    Had a couple of large rounds to split earlier in the year. Fairly well seasoned pine (maybe cedar again). A right pig that I had to attack with the chainsaw first. Today's offerings, freshly felled, and dripping with sap, split with very little effort.

The other advantage of splitting when wet, is the logs dry out much quicker - The poplar I split a while back was ready to burn within 18 months. A neighbour's stash of unsplit willow is still not ready to use, and that was felled about the same time as my poplar.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    berries wrote: »
    ..... I've nearly filled up the outside side cardboard with it and there's more lefted if I want it.
    You need to store it somewhere dry to mature. Cardboard will get soggy and then the wood will get damp.
  • FreeBear wrote: »
    The other advantage of splitting when wet, is the logs dry out much quicker -

No argument with that, I'm purely doing it for storage convenience. But some woods are fine to split later, just go for the drying cracks. Wish I could remember off the top of my head which wood that applies to, Leylandii rings a bell. That's one wood I always debark - a very therapeutic exercise!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure