Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Sally
    • By MSE Sally 24th Aug 15, 2:17 PM
    • 70Posts
    • 27Thanks
    MSE Sally
    Haggle with BT - our new guide
    • 24th Aug 15, 2:17 PM
    Haggle with BT - our new guide 24th Aug 15 at 2:17 PM

Hi all, we have new BT Haggling guide, and we'd love to hear your feedback.

Just click reply below to share any info. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Thanks for your help,

MSE Sally
    Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 04-01-2018 at 9:37 AM.
Page 3
    • neilsedaka
    • By neilsedaka 4th Aug 16, 7:50 PM
    • 358 Posts
    • 108 Thanks
    neilsedaka
    Unfortunately there are no viable alternative providers to BT when your fibre service is FTTP rather that FTTC.
    • plane_boy2000
    • By plane_boy2000 21st Dec 16, 12:34 PM
    • 1,475 Posts
    • 473 Thanks
    plane_boy2000
    No idea if this was a good deal, but just managed to get the price of my Infinity 1 reduced to £7 a month for 24 months.

They offered £9 and with a bit of pushing (as I had an outage last month) managed to get it down to £7 - saving me £19 per month - thats £456 saved over the next 2 years if I had done nothing, all for a 15 minute phone call.
    • OldDIYer
    • By OldDIYer 22nd Dec 16, 2:33 PM
    • 101 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    OldDIYer
    Looks good to me
    I'm paying £10 + line rental at the moment & I thought that was good.
    • andreb
    • By andreb 15th Feb 17, 6:48 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    andreb
    I am a customer affected by the April 2017 price increases. They had online offers which for me only featured Infinity 1 unlimited (free installation) 18 months for £30.99 and Infinity 1 with 25GB usage for £26.99 plus installation.

I rang up the Customer Options Team (like I do every year) and their selection of offers were worse than the ones online and the one I had online was better that the one they had. I am on ADSL and was contemplating going with fibre. Now I am going for the Infinity 1 option unlimited because the ADSL will cost me more than if I was with fibre (does that make sense?!?).

Now seeing the weekly email, the package that I will be getting is more expensive than the one featured in the email. So I am thinking that I will try it and if it doesn't work, there are other people who will gladly take my custom at a cheaper price.

But in conclusion, BT aren't willing to negotiate and don't seem to be concerned about losing customers.
    • dashboard
    • By dashboard 15th Feb 17, 10:06 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    dashboard
    My Broadband and phone deal contract has just expired and the monthly cost escalated to £51. A 20 minute phone call today got this reduced to £27.99 with better internet allowance and more mobile phone data/minutes. reduced this further by paying annual line rental up front with a 10% discount over the year.
    They even promised to refund any over payment incurred at the end of my last contract.
    A great result and even advised to phone back at the end of this contract for another deal,
    • jwil
    • By jwil 16th Feb 17, 10:23 AM
    • 11,227 Posts
    • 41,245 Thanks
    jwil
    I've managed to get an upgraded internet, tv and phone package for £15 a month less than I'm currently paying (taking into account April's price rises) and also a promise of 1/2 price BT Sport when it becomes chargeable in August if I want it.

The savings will be bigger when I pay up front for line rental as well.
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
    • Mikeeuropa
    • By Mikeeuropa 16th Feb 17, 11:05 AM
    • 60 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    Mikeeuropa
    Price increase exit
    A question here.

I'm nearing the end of my 12 month contract where I took out broadband and home phone with BT. I later added my mobile to the deal and even more recently added my wife's mobile to the deal (both getting the £5 a month reduction because I'm broadband customer).

With the April price rise and right to leave, does that apply to all the services? ie. if I'm not willing to pay whatever BT offer for phone and broadband and decide to switch, can I take the mobiles with me or are they seen as separate contracts unlinked to the April price increases?

If I have to leave the mobile services with them because they're still within 12 months of starting and are not affected by April price rises then they'll both jump up £5 a month as I'll no longer have BT broadband.
    • wlam
    • By wlam 17th Feb 17, 12:45 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    wlam
    Just completed my BT minimum term for landline and Infinity 2, and the special offer from my BT online account quoted £45. I also called up twice to retention and best offer I got from them was £42 including price rise.

Must say previous years BT rententions had given me competitive deals to stay, but not time time, so I've now initiated a switch away to TalkTalk.

Mikeeuropa: I also have 3 BT mobile contracts, and although I didn't ask BT, I think these are treated separately and I expect I will need to see out the minimum terms for these (and then switch away). Fortunately for me the £100 cashback from switching to TalkTalk covers the additional price rise of these for leaving BT Broadband.
    Last edited by wlam; 17-02-2017 at 12:49 AM.
    • wlam
    • By wlam 17th Feb 17, 10:43 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    wlam
    Mikeeuropa: To add I did receive an email when I switched, and it stated for BT mobile:

You'll lose your BT Mobile discount when you move your broadband
    31 days after your BT broadband service ends, you'll lose the monthly discount you currently get on BT Mobile. We'll let you know before that happens, confirm the discount that we're removing and tell you the new price you'll pay for your plan.
    • Mikeeuropa
    • By Mikeeuropa 17th Feb 17, 2:43 PM
    • 60 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    Mikeeuropa
    Thanks for your input wlam. I guess I was wondering if the price rise rule actually gives you a right to move all your services without penalty. I've been thinking about it and, I'll have to dig out the "paperwork" to check, but I think I took out the first mobile all in the same deal as broadband and landline so it could be argued it was all one contract.

I guess it's a weaker argument for the second mobile as it was a separate transaction, but it could be argued that it was an expansion/addition to the contract I had in place.

No doubt there's a mountain of small print somewhere that would have the answer but I was hoping there might be either a friendly BT employee hanging around or someone who has had the time to read through the mountain
    • wlam
    • By wlam 17th Feb 17, 5:00 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    wlam
    Hi Mikeeuropa. you may be on to something there:

Looking at the BT mobile T&C's (sorry forum won't let me post links yet), but there easy to find, there is this paragraph:

17. When you get other services or equipment from us
    We often sell a number of services together. We might give a discount, benefit or offer if you (or someone in your home) take more than one service from us. If you get any of these discounts, benefits or offers and then end any of the other services, we may have to increase the charges for the service. If that’s the case, we’ll tell you when you (or someone else) contact us to end the other service. However, we won't increase the charges and you’ll keep getting the discount, benefit or offer during the rest of your minimum term if:
    you or someone else in your house ends one of the other services as described in clauses 14b, 14d and 14e; or
    you end the BT Broadband service because of a change to it which gives you the right to leave.

The last few sentences of this are key, and I interpret that to mean that if I left BT Broadband because of the price rise (i.e.the change which gives me the right to leave), then I would not lose the BT mobile discount for the rest of the minimum term of the BT mobile contracts.

Going to be interesting what BT tells me about my BT Mobile prices in a few weeks...
    • Mwood1
    • By Mwood1 21st Feb 17, 8:04 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Mwood1
    BT broadband price.
    What is the best(lowest price) negotiated for line rental and broadband monthly.

And BT sport HD

Thank you in advance.
    • littlemissbossy
    • By littlemissbossy 22nd Feb 17, 1:25 PM
    • 638 Posts
    • 1,577 Thanks
    littlemissbossy
    What is the best(lowest price) negotiated for line rental and broadband monthly.

And BT sport HD

Thank you in advance.
    Originally posted by Mwood1
    I have basic BT broadband (12GB) and free weekend calls for £5 per month, which is going up to £7 per month in April.

Line rental is just whatever is standard £18.99 I think?

I have BT Sport (not HD) for £5 per month.
    Don't wait for your ship to come in, swim out to it.
    • Plasticelt1960
    • By Plasticelt1960 22nd Feb 17, 2:46 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Plasticelt1960
    I've just tried unsuccessfully to haggle with BT because of the latest phone & broadband increases.
    I've switched to Plusnet for £38 per month for fibre 2 unlimited & anytime calls compared to the 'reduced' current price of about £45 per month that I have been paying BT for the past year. Last year they reduced my broadband by £17.50 per month for a year to match the then Plusnet price. They weren't prepared to do the same this time.

They did offer a loyalty reduction on broadband only of £39.49 / month this time, but this would basically be the same as the whole monthly cost of Plusnet (who also include 2000 mobile minutes which you don't get with BT anytime package).

I was not dissatisfied with BT but am thoroughly fatigued with the constant hard sell by post and email of content services I do not want. I explained I am on a fixed pension which does not keep pace with the continual BT price increases.

I think BT are guilty of sharp practice by immediately sending out emails threatening there is a charge to leave them when you initiate a switch. In my case it would have been £42 for the remaining month left on my contract.
    I rang the retentions number on 0800 345 7311 explained my OFCOM consumer protection rights (thanks MSE!) having given them notice within 30 days of notification of the price rise. The BT rep said they would ensure I was not charged this 'penalty' for ending my contract early., and they would note this on my account.

BT should cease and desist sending these emails until after the 30 days protection period have ended.
    My experience is that BT are hardening their stance, in relation to haggling. Would be interested to hear if others get anything close to other providers price match.
    • OldDIYer
    • By OldDIYer 26th Feb 17, 2:34 PM
    • 101 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    OldDIYer
    Going to Plusnet
    Can't get a reasonable offer from BT, so leaving before contract ends with no penalty using the price increase get out clause.

Will be paying £25/mth to Plusnet for fibre broadband & line rental, which is less than I was paying to BT pre price increase!

£70 back through TopCashBack
    • Mwood1
    • By Mwood1 26th Feb 17, 7:11 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Mwood1
    I have basic BT broadband (12GB) and free weekend calls for £5 per month, which is going up to £7 per month in April.

Line rental is just whatever is standard £18.99 I think?

I have BT Sport (not HD) for £5 per month.
    Originally posted by littlemissbossy
    I'm a new customer - my basic broadband deal below,

Line rental £205 - £50 prepaid BT credit card = £12.92 per month

+ £5 per month broadband unlimited = £17.92 per month

+ BT sport HD pack at £3.75 per month.
    Last edited by Mwood1; 26-02-2017 at 7:14 PM.
    • OldDIYer
    • By OldDIYer 27th Feb 17, 5:04 PM
    • 101 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    OldDIYer
    Terms & Conditions
    QUOTE: I think BT are guilty of sharp practice by immediately sending out emails threatening there is a charge to leave them when you initiate a switch. In my case it would have been £42 for the remaining month left on my contract.
    I rang the retentions number on 0800 345 7311 explained my OFCOM consumer protection rights (thanks MSE!) having given them notice within 30 days of notification of the price rise. The BT rep said they would ensure I was not charged this 'penalty' for ending my contract early., and they would note this on my account.

I'm struggling to find the T&Cs to quote to BT so that I can get my line rental in advance back. Can anyone help please?
    Last edited by OldDIYer; 27-02-2017 at 5:07 PM.
    • wlam
    • By wlam 27th Feb 17, 11:26 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    wlam
    I'm struggling to find the T&Cs to quote to BT so that I can get my line rental in advance back. Can anyone help please?
    Originally posted by OldDIYer
    I believe the BT T&Cs say advance line rental is non-refundable.

However you need to inform BT that OFCOM state if providers impose mid-contract price rises, you can leave the provider free from penalty.

Thus you need to argue that if they (BT) do not refund the advance line rental (likely pro-rata), then this cannot be considered leaving free from penalty and thus in breach of OFCOM guidance.
    • mnbvcxz
    • By mnbvcxz 28th Feb 17, 12:14 PM
    • 251 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    mnbvcxz
    QUOTE:

Originally posted by OldDIYer
    I don't know I'm afraid but if its any help this article suggests they should be refunding. Lots more in the bt threads in the broadband forum message board as well.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/feb/22/bt-refuses-refund-prepaid-line-rental-cancel-service
    • OldDIYer
    • By OldDIYer 28th Feb 17, 6:01 PM
    • 101 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    OldDIYer
    I don't know I'm afraid but if its any help this article suggests they should be refunding. Lots more in the bt threads in the broadband forum message board as well.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/feb/22/bt-refuses-refund-prepaid-line-rental-cancel-service
    Originally posted by mnbvcxz
    Thanks. As others have experienced, I got the email saying I would lose the line rental paid in advance & also, in my case, the discount on BT Sport which would continue at the inflated non-BT customer rate. I rang and they agreed that the overpaid line rental would be refunded and that I had given notice on BT Sport, so it would not continue.

They had no explanation, apart from blaming their computer system, as to why they send misleading emails. I think this is disgraceful, especially as 'BT has confirmed it accepts this and will be contacting customers and briefing its advisers. To be clear, if you leave a phone company mid-contract due to a significant price rise within 30 days, you should not incur penalty charges – including pre-bought line rental.' Quote from Guardian article - link above.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,532Posts Today

7,873Users online

Martin's Twitter