Santas challenge 2017

Options

Comments

• Happy_Kitties
    Options
    Chanie there are big bars of chocolate, there own brand in Tesc@ for 30p. It's very nice, have taste tested the milk and white one several times:D, not too thick so easy to get in the box if that is of any help. I've used a bar in all my boxes.
    My poor final box still needs to be wrapped, it really has been the abandoned but I have got some Maccies toys stashed for next year and my first shoebox from podiatry who said when I get back after Christmas he will get me some more!:j

It's a good idea re: the secret santa especially if u have one siblings present already.:T
    I changed my mind with my cousin's children. Felt that the present I had for the 2 little ones was a bit old so made use of the 2 for £15 at Arg@s with an extra 25% off so worked out about 5.50 for a really good present and I will just stash the present I have for next year instead.

Did start prepping with the Christmas food. Bought a box of biscuits but youngest cat thought it would be great fun to push them off the cupboard:eek: They sounded in bits, opened them and typical they were fine

DD is home this weekend so will wait to start getting more bits until she goes back as it will definitely get eaten!
    Decluttering challenge 2023🏅⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 
    Decluttering challenge 2024 🏅⭐️
  • chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 21 October 2019 at 10:45PM
    Options
    Thanks for the tip on the chocolate - I pass a Tesco on the way home from work, so I think I will pop in and get them (and then also divert to poundland for the hats and gloves).

Secret Santa went a bit wrong last year for OH's siblings. I was told that it was Secret Santa so, only bought for 1 sibling, but wasn't aware that another sibling decided not to participate. I didn't get them present, so on Boxing Day, I picked up some restaurant vouchers. Its ironic that the sibling didn't participate as this sibling is the one that does the last minute dash to the supermarket to buy all their presents. I would have thought that they would have preferred Secret Santa...

*edit*
    I bought the chocolate bars from Tesco, plus hats and gloves from the pound-shop, so my boxes are finished. Yay.
  • chanie
    edited 26 October 2019 at 10:15PM
    Options
    Matalan have some nice things in for Xmas. I bought a couple of wash bags with first name initials on them, for my nieces, but they are for Xmas 2020. I regret not picking one up for DD, so I need to pop back to get one.

We know what we are getting DS for Xmas, but aren’t entirely sure what to get DD. I find the ages of 6-8 difficult gift wise, as children start to loose interest in toys, but not quite old enough for the tech/fashion etc the older children want. We struggled with DS at that age and now it’s DDs turn.

The children also chose a joke present for MIL. She will find it funny but it’s something that can be used, so isn’t a waste of money.
  • Happy_Kitties
    Options
    I've not done much, i've had the decorator in and while the hall/stairs and landing look lovely my stress levels are thru the roof!
    I hate decorating with a passion but did little bits like frame new pictures brought back from New York for me which look really nice. Not going to do any more on the decorating front now until after
    Christmas.
    I was looking for a storm lantern, have ordered one from M+S but as soon as u mentioned Matal@n Chanie I went for a nosy. They have small lanterns I really like but not in silver :(

I have wrapped a couple of bitty Christmas presents but have been late with birthday presents-still to wrap and give out/send.
    A bottle of sherry I was struggling to find, DD managed to find it for me so I'm going to get that sorted and wrapped tonight along with the birthday presents!

Took medical advice regarding DM on Christmas day as the rest of the family decided we wanted to go out for food. She is a smart cookie but is like a stroppy toddler. We've been told to leave at home and go out for food. Her response was basically just make sure u bring me back a dinner. She was prepared to make everyone's life miserable for her to get her own way and it's affecting the family. Some family just stay away from her now so have been having to get advice from the medical professionals who have been really good for support so need to go and put a deposit down for the meal.

I can see it being a bitty week tying up lots of loose ends.
  • chanie
    edited 27 October 2019 at 8:38PM
    Options
    Decorating is stressful, but always worth it in the end.

Even if you haven’t made progress this week, you are already well ahead of the game, so that’s one less thing to worry about.

I have a weeks annual leave soon in between leaving my current job and starting a new one. I want to use some of the time to get ahead with Xmas prep. One job in particular is wrapping presents, which I can do whilst the children are at school. Other tasks include decluttering, writing Xmas cards, making and freezing food for Xmas day and some making up small gifts for the children.

I popped to Matalan today and picked up a wash bag for DD. Her initial is a popular letter so I wanted to get it before it sold out. I managed to buy it without her seeing, which is no easy feat as she is very nosey.
  • chanie
    Options
    I delivered my Link boxes today. Yay. My area collector said I was the first person to drop off boxes and they had only been contacted by 1 other person.
    I didn’t have the right change for each box so I didn’t attach the the money to the boxes. The collector said this as better as they had to bank up the money so it was easier that I hadn’t (will remember for next year).

Other tasks completed today - prepped some carrots for the freezer for Xmas day, made a start on updating my 2020 calendar and bullet journal.
  • Happy_Kitties
    Options
    Chanie u put me to shame , I've still got to deliver my final 2 boxes and uve given me the nudge forward to get it done. Strange that ur collector hasn't had more people drop boxes off, I thought they would be inundated. Will give my area collector a call tonight to arrange for Friday I think.

I am getting bits done. Took some birthday presents round to besties last night and a catch up we havent done for so long. It gave me the push when I got home to get the rest of their Christmas presents out and wrap.
    Not many left to wrap now. If I can finish everything I've got by the weekend, then I will be very much on target. Going to a Christmas opening weekend at the local garden centre this weekend. DD and I do it every year and have a carvery meal while we are there. We've seen something for DM as well so will pick that up this weekend who is impossible to buy for as she buys things she wants straight away but does like a Christmas item.

Still need to send a belated birthday present and letter to a friend. My aim is to get this done the end of the week. I have decided bitty weeks are the worst!
  • chanie
    Options
    Happy kitties you put me to shame as you completed and delivered your boxes whilst mine were still half full. But I guess we have different strategies - you do one box at a time, whereas I do mine altogether. Still, we end up at the same place.
  • chanie
    edited 3 November 2019 at 9:00PM
    Options
    I bought a step ladder today from Lidl for £18. It’s just tall enough for me to teach my Xmas stash at the top of my wardrobe. No more climbing on OH back for me.

I also bought a couple of initial drinking glasses for presents from M&S. One letter was like the elusive cocktail baubles as this seemed to be the only letter they didn’t have in stock. Managed to get it in the end - they were 20% off, so saved £1 each in them.

I have also booked another day trip to France for December. I thought it would be a nice way to experience the build up to Christmas, plus we can buy some nice goodies. I have been holding off on booking in case we had a no deal Br£xit as it could have potentially affected our car insurances and driving licences. Im
  • Happy_Kitties
    Happy_Kitties Posts: 1,615 Forumite
    edited 3 November 2019 at 11:13PM
    Options
    I'm still trying to get hold of the local area collector to drop my 2 boxes off but Chanie urself, Katiehound and me -by doing the boxes I feel that we will have made some people's Christmas' just a little better :)

Despite DD very kindly giving me her gastro bug we still did the garden centre opening weekend.bought a lot of bits yesterday (including a birthday present for May next year!) and saved £20 with a voucher but didn't stay for food as neither of us could have managed it.
    But went back today and we both managed food. It's the meal that always symbolises the start of Christmas for us. Treated ourselves to a few more bits, I got a couple of bits to go in the hall.
    The turkey and beef were ordered at the farm shop in the garden centre.

Also managed to get Christmas day food booked. We have some strange requests but t@ble t@ble are happy to accommodate and we can take a meal out for DM

Not finished wrapping presents but most are completed now. Have a lovely pile of wrapped presents looking at me in the spare room.

Chanie yay to France. It will be amazing and yay to the step ladder-it still makes me chuckle that u had to clamber up on OH shoulders to get to ur stash! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family