Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dizzy Ditzy
    • By Dizzy Ditzy 2nd Jan 19, 8:11 PM
    • 17,120Posts
    • 283,849Thanks
    Dizzy Ditzy
    The all new 2019 growing your own thread!
    • 2nd Jan 19, 8:11 PM
    The all new 2019 growing your own thread! 2nd Jan 19 at 8:11 PM
    Welcome to the new ups and downs of growing your own!

Everyone is welcome. Come and tell us about your growing shenanigans

What do you like to grow?

Are you going to try anything different this year?

Did you try anything different last year? Did you like it? Would you grow it again?

Do you have any tips for growing?

Do you make anything with what you grow?

How much does growing your own save you?

I'll use this post for links that folks might find useful. If you want something adding in, please just let me know

There's a fab Facebook group called "Allotment Club - Mind your peas and cues" I'm not affiliated to it in any way but it's a fab little group. It's a closed group but is worth looking up if you're on Facebook. Or there is a fab group called "The allotment shed"

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 07-03-2019 at 9:14 AM.
    I'm a board guide on Quick Grabbit while you can, Marriage, Relationships and Families, Health & Beauty Moneysaving, Greenfingered Moneysaving, Praise, Vents and Warnings, Consumer Rights and Sports & Fitness Moneysaving boards.

I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are purely my own and are not those of Moneysavingexpert.com. I am a board guide and not a moderator do not read every post. If you spot an iffy post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Biggest aim of this year - hope that my terminally ill brother sees Christmas and 2020
Page 72
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 3rd Oct 19, 4:18 PM
    • 1,429 Posts
    • 4,979 Thanks
    unrecordings
    Managed another half hour out there tiding up some little bits, also managed to repot my last Chinese Mahogany and bring it indoors from the greenhouse while I figure out my overwintering strategy
    Last edited by unrecordings; 03-10-2019 at 4:59 PM. Reason: edited now the bot has been dealt with
    Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 3rd Oct 19, 8:59 PM
    • 1,429 Posts
    • 4,979 Thanks
    unrecordings
    I once made what I called xmas salsa - just all those little tomatoes of varying shades, even the pea sized ones, quartered & put in a gereric salsa recipe - obviously you don't get much, but it looks nice. I've still got the recipe somewhere.
    Originally posted by unrecordings
    Xmas Tree Salsa
    red, green, yellow miniature tomatoes quartered
    small green chilli thinly sliced
    lemon rind
    juice of half a lemon
    olive oil
    chives chopped approx 1/2" lengths
    clove of garlic very thinly sliced
    salt & pepper
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 4th Oct 19, 7:40 AM
    • 3,367 Posts
    • 29,730 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    My butternut squash have set more fruit - a bit bigger than a table-tennis ball so far but it vindicates the decision not to dig them out and compost them yet. Around a dozen courgettes still growing furiously but more slowly, and loads of tiny yellow cucumbers (a bit smaller than a tennis ball). Lettuces might be soup-pot bound as they are trying to bolt now.

And we are still picking autumn fruiting raspberries (when we can brave the mozzies) and loads of runner beans with more in flower!

Carrots and potatoes in the ground and leeks are ready for winter. Apart from dairy and bowl fruit we could almost be self-sufficient for a month or 3!
    Save 12k in 2019 - #68 8,973.49/7,000 after Oct
    OS Grocery Challenge 2019 target 2067.30/3k - 68.91% after October
    Mortgage Free Wannabes 2019 #37 109.23% 43,693/40k so far
    MFIT T5 No 2 42,188/59,998 or 70.32% paid after Q3
    My DFD is here
    • twopenny
    • By twopenny 4th Oct 19, 9:06 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 97 Thanks
    twopenny
    I've sucessfully grown San Marzano tomatoes and they're wonderful for salsa and chutney.
    New garden this year and not time to grow them. The only ones I could get were Roma. Good but prefer the SM ones.
    Just ripening nicely when the cold wet weather set in. They are robust stout little devils so hoping we get just enough sun back to ripen a few.
    Still picking autumn fruiting raspberries from the new canes but the cherry tomatoes have gone pop and split. Long dry spells followed by 2 weeks of cold rain. Shame really, I like to make a hot chilly tomato chutney to go on a burger bun or steak sandwich.
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 5th Oct 19, 8:28 AM
    • 9,054 Posts
    • 32,850 Thanks
    Primrose
    My tomato plants have all been pulled up and I would like to do the same with the climbing beans so I can get the garden prepped for winter but every time I look at the bean plants there seem to be a another handful of beans to pick so I'll leave them another week.

Don't know why I'm so tight with beans when I have a freezer full of them from a good crop this summer but I suppose I just don't like to pull up plants when they still appear to have a even a small chance of producing more.

Suffok Lass - your small butternut squash may actually be more convenient to use if they are able to ripen as you can use them in one go. My solitary plant produced just one fruit but it's a real jumbo one and once they're cut open they are liable to deteriorate unless you chop them up completely and freeze them. I try covering the open flesh with clingfilm and keeping it in a cool garage but there's still a risk of them starting to deteriorate or rot once cut open.
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 5th Oct 19, 8:53 AM
    • 3,367 Posts
    • 29,730 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    My tomato plants have all been pulled up and I would like to do the same with the climbing beans so I can get the garden prepped for winter but every time I look at the bean plants there seem to be a another handful of beans to pick so I'll leave them another week.

Don't know why I'm so tight with beans when I have a freezer full of them from a good crop this summer but I suppose I just don't like to pull up plants when they still appear to have a even a small chance of producing more.

Suffok Lass - your small butternut squash may actually be more convenient to use if they are able to ripen as you can use them in one go. My solitary plant produced just one fruit but it's a real jumbo one and once they're cut open they are liable to deteriorate unless you chop them up completely and freeze them. I try covering the open flesh with clingfilm and keeping it in a cool garage but there's still a risk of them starting to deteriorate or rot once cut open.
    Originally posted by Primrose
    Thank you - I do have some in the freezer but they become a regular soup ingredient once the courgettes are gone, so using them up is never normally an issue - (my favourite veg curry is onion, butternut squash and chick pea with a bit of spinach too.

Re your beans - I do chop mine down but I leave the roots in until spring as they continue to release nutrients that are a valuable part of the rotation sequence (with potatoes next)
    My DFD is here
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 5th Oct 19, 9:38 AM
    • 1,429 Posts
    • 4,979 Thanks
    unrecordings
    According to the Waitrose 'newspaper' the weather this year was ideal for squash - should be a bumper crop all round.

In terms of stragglers I tend to be ruthless now rather than waiting for the last bean/pea/leaf to be ready - if it's still immature then it's perfectly good for ramen/curry/chilli/stew/whatever is on the hob

Got an MRI tomorrow, so today is still very much an insy doorsy day - I'm still figuring out my overwintering strategy for some of the exotics, the non-native stuff. Some can go back in the greenhouse, but some will need to come indoors, so there's going to have to be negotiations over windowsill space and the frictionless travel thereupon (aka the catstop)

Maybe I'll post that list later...
    • euronorris
    • By euronorris 6th Oct 19, 8:40 AM
    • 10,436 Posts
    • 49,115 Thanks
    euronorris
    Haven't had much time in the garden this weekend. Busy making tomato puree yesterday morning, tidying, shopping, lunch, made green tomato chutney (thanks unrecordings), then dinner. Had just enough time to get out and check on the brussel sprout plant. Evicted more caterpillars.

Today not looking likely either, as DD woke with croup at 2.30am, so we've been up since then.
    • Mnd
    • By Mnd 7th Oct 19, 4:05 PM
    • 1,424 Posts
    • 2,214 Thanks
    Mnd
    Not much going on up the plot at the moment. Very wet. Dug first parsnip at the weekend, looked brilliant but rotten in the middle. Pulled probably the last lettuce. Still got plenty of beetroot, and some carrots. Digging the first leeks now. Planted the overwintering onions yesterday.

In other news, we have heard back from the council regarding the judging of the allotments in the council area, approx 400 plots I believe.

We have been awarded Gold standard this year ( 3 out of 4 previous years we won Silver gilt so this is a step up) We were so pleased.Only 3 gold awards made this year.

We have to go to presentation night for the awards, where the top allotment out of those 3 gets announced. I'm trying not to build my hopes up!

The presentation is 22nd October so I will let you know how we get on
    Last edited by Mnd; 07-10-2019 at 4:09 PM.
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 7th Oct 19, 6:19 PM
    • 1,547 Posts
    • 11,747 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    Mnd congratulations, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you

Too wet to do much, it's that horrible sort of rain - very fine drizzle all the time which soaks you to the skin and then the heavens open and you run for cover .... too late you're soaking wet.

Spent the afternoon cooking as many plums in the slow cooker as would fit. froze the rest in 1lb bags, just enough for a pie. Sorted and froze all the Bramley windfalls, not too many codling moths so got quite a good haul.

The extra large courgettes which thought they were marrows were sliced and together with the apple peelings and over ripe plums went to the turkeys, it filled two large sainsbury's bags - they enjoyed it and it kept them quiet whilst I put down a new bed for them - they usually try to help which is not fun.
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 8th Oct 19, 10:38 PM
    • 1,429 Posts
    • 4,979 Thanks
    unrecordings
    Managed another hour out there. Cleared away the last of the greenhouse tomatoes. Next step is pull the canes out, retrieve & clean the wire ties ready for next year, let the growbags dry out then start to move the spent compo around the garden as/when the weather & energy allows. I also potted on two Cotoneaster seedlings which sprang up from berries in 2018
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 9th Oct 19, 9:05 AM
    • 9,054 Posts
    • 32,850 Thanks
    Primrose
    I stripped the stalks off my upright bean poles yesterday and dismantled them apart from one pole which has two younger plants on it still sprouting flowers and tiny beans. I'm reluctant to destroy any plant which still appears to have some life left it it and it's a sort of experiment to see how long they can continue before lower night temperatures kill them off.
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 9th Oct 19, 2:34 PM
    • 3,367 Posts
    • 29,730 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    My butternut squashes are making a last try - I have at least 6 new babies the size of a tennis ball at the bulbous end. I shall leave them outdoors for the time-being and just make sure they are not rotting on the wet soil.

I have just picked and pickled the last of my little yellow cucumbers, ready to make green tomato and cucumber relish. I had run out of pickling spice so just raided my cupboard and added a bit of caster sugar to some pickling vinegar. I will make the relish tomorrow. I was given 5k of green tomatoes to process. 5 jars of green tomato chutney seems to have barely made a dent!
    My DFD is here
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 9th Oct 19, 8:21 PM
    • 1,429 Posts
    • 4,979 Thanks
    unrecordings
    Managed a good 3 1/2 hours this afternoon with the help of Mrs Un and got quite a lot done despite the rain. Almost got the less leaky greenhouse prepped for overwintering herbs. Finally potted up the Japanese Ginger, a very sorry looking Patchouli and some Perennial Broccoli - still plenty more to do though
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 10th Oct 19, 9:08 AM
    • 3,367 Posts
    • 29,730 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    It seems my tomato chutney is not thick enough. So we will just call it green tomato sauce, as I cannot be bothered to reboil it until it thickens!
    My DFD is here
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 10th Oct 19, 9:22 AM
    • 9,054 Posts
    • 32,850 Thanks
    Primrose
    It seems my tomato chutney is not thick enough. So we will just call it green tomato sauce, as I cannot be bothered to reboil it until it thickens!
    Originally posted by Suffolk lass
    If you have a small amount I wonder if reheating it and then mixing in a small amount of cornflour would work. I haven,t tried it with chutney but it works well with thickening gravies in casseroles.
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 10th Oct 19, 10:36 AM
    • 1,429 Posts
    • 4,979 Thanks
    unrecordings
    If you have a small amount I wonder if reheating it and then mixing in a small amount of cornflour would work. I haven,t tried it with chutney but it works well with thickening gravies in casseroles.
    Originally posted by Primrose
    Or stir in some pectin - cold ?
    The Certo recipe book seems to infer you can do that (with Certo of course)
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 10th Oct 19, 4:40 PM
    • 1,429 Posts
    • 4,979 Thanks
    unrecordings
    Yesterday tired me out it seems, so another half hour today rescuing the contents of the cold frame and venturing out beyond the greenhouses to the bottom of the garden to see what horrors awaited. I've not really been down there since July. Fortunately most of the weeds are bittercress, which is really nice in ramen...
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 11th Oct 19, 8:23 AM
    • 3,367 Posts
    • 29,730 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    Thanks for those suggestions re thickening my green tomato sauce. DH is very impressed with it as a spread at the moment and after a rare purchase of bread (pumpernickel) the bread has all gone, suggesting he quite likes it.

I don't think I've got any Certo left in my store cupboard and the only pectin I think I have is powdered which I find clumps. I might buy a bottle of Certo when I go shopping next week. I'm dubious about adding cornstarch without first making it liquid in water and then I would need to cook it out (like flour in a sauce).
    My DFD is here
    • MysteryMe
    • By MysteryMe 11th Oct 19, 9:07 PM
    • 2,275 Posts
    • 2,889 Thanks
    MysteryMe
    Picked about 8 toms on the turn to ripen up inside.

Not sure what to do with the strawberry runners. First year plant, should I just chop them off and chuck or chop them off and plant up? Don't really have the room to plant them up whilst still attached to the main plant
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,888Posts Today

8,036Users online

Martin's Twitter