Truth

Options
Hi
I did my own PPI Claims using the Which consumer rights assistant or the assistant on the moneysavingexpert website.
I have had many rejections and for the few I have had a response from, my refunds are of the order of amounts like £1.62.
My question is, how do I know and trust that the banks are fully investigating my case, including Plevin, how do I know they are refunding me the truthful and correct amount.
I feel they could just say anything to me. Is there a way I can check? They don't show actual records or calculations they have made.
Hope you can advise. Thank you. Dave

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you don't believe them, you can provide your own evidence.

Otherwise, it will be correct, based on the records they have. Your uphold letter will show how the amount has been arrived at.
  • SonOf
    SonOf Posts: 2,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My question is, how do I know and trust that the banks are fully investigating my case, including Plevin, how do I know they are refunding me the truthful and correct amount.

How do the banks know you are telling the truth in your complaint?

If you lie, there is no comeback on you. If the banks lie, they get fined millions.
    I feel they could just say anything to me. Is there a way I can check?

Yes. You compare it to your own records.
    They don't show actual records or calculations they have made.

They dont need to show the calculation as the method is defined by the regulator. They do show the figures used for each bit though (e.g. premium paid, interest etc).
  • DAKOTA45
    DAKOTA45 Posts: 592 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry to jump in... HSBC told me I had £300 PPI refund, but showed no figures as to how the amount had been arrived at... I know that they keep historical information as I was successful with a 30 year old claim, (but only after producing my own documents & where they initially denied the account had PPI attached), I requested this information via SAR but they didn't respond. I've had several very large loans from this bank so although this figure may be correct, it could also be wrong, but if they won't show any details, there's no way of knowing unless you have kept your paperwork. Yes, I honestly believe banks will try and hold on to the money set aside for refunds! Off to the Ombudsman now.
  • SonOf
    Options
    Yes, I honestly believe banks will try and hold on to the money set aside for refunds!

Then you should go to the police with your evidence as you alleging fraud.
  • The_squirrell
    Options
    "I know that they keep historical information as I was successful with a 30 year old claim, (but only after producing my own documents & where they initially denied the account had PPI attached)"

It sounds as if they don't keep documents going back 30 years, as you needed to provide the details. Did they deny, or say that they were unable to tell?
    I work in Data Protection and spend my days dealing with CMC's. Only here trying to help!!
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    DAKOTA45 wrote: »
    . I know that they keep historical information as I was successful with a 30 year old claim, (but only after producing my own documents & where they initially denied the account had PPI attached).

I suspect they didn't deny you had PPI but instead said they had no record you had it, which is very different. Their change of mind after you produced some documents indicates they didn't have records, and they paid up after they saw yours, which they took on trust (you could have created them in Word after all)
  • DAKOTA45
    Options
    "I know that they keep historical information as I was successful with a 30 year old claim, (but only after producing my own documents & where they initially denied the account had PPI attached)"

It sounds as if they don't keep documents going back 30 years, as you needed to provide the details. Did they deny, or say that they were unable to tell?

They said they couldn't find any evidence of a loan... then when I found the agreement, they were able to magic up some screen shots which showed the loan was paid up 2 years early, therefore they didn't need to refund PPI for the whole term!
  • DAKOTA45
    Options
    SonOf wrote: »
    Then you should go to the police with your evidence as you alleging fraud.

Yes... and HSBC has never been accused of any wrongdoing before, have they...Hmmm!!
  • SonOf
    Options
    They said they couldn't find any evidence of a loan... then when I found the agreement, they were able to magic up some screen shots which showed the loan was paid up 2 years early, therefore they didn't need to refund PPI for the whole term!

Providing them evidence will help locate records that are not on a relevant filing system. Nothing unusual here.
    Yes... and HSBC has never been accused of any wrongdoing before, have they...Hmmm!!

10 years ago, you would have a point. Nowadays, the culture is much better.
  • DAKOTA45
    Options
    What gets to me is the bare faced denial that there was ever any agreement, even when you've sent them proof...
    I still had to involve the Ombudsman to resolve the unfair PPI (in my favour)...
    I'm about to start again... just filling in the forms from the FO. *sigh*
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport