Cost of LPG from Flogas

Options
I have a 1200 litre LPG tank owned by Flogas and have been their customer for about 10 years. I agreed to a new 2 year supply on 16/8/16 at a price of 41.5 ppl + VAT fixed for 1 year. Then, the year being completed, they increased the price to 48.8 ppl (reasonable!) on 9/9/17. However since then I have had increases to 61.7 ppl on 6/12/17 and 69.65 ppl on 5/2/18. This seems completely unfair and unreasonable, an increase of 43% since Sep 2017. I tried to switch but Flogas wouldn't let me as I was still in the 2 year period. They seem to have the power to increase the price to anything they want. Anyone know of anything I can do?

Comments

• dogshome
    dogshome Posts: 3,878 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Unfortunately the cost pf LPG is linked to the wholesale Oil market, and that has gone up from around $50 a barrel to over $60 in the past few months.

Needless to say, Flogas and other suppliers in the LPG market aren't shy about loading on a bit of extras margin when they can
  • jony_bravo
    Options
    I'm with Flogas and I'm paying 34ppl. I only recently moved in and I received a letter from Flogas just sent to the address mentioning that they were increasing their prices to 74ppl + VAT! So I called to check and got myself the deal above for the first year.
  • PeteK
    Options
    There is a clause in your Flogas contract that states that you can terminate your agreement with them if they increase the cost by more than the Platts LPG Price Index. So it may be worth checking that, terminating and then moving to Calor who are about 40% cheaper.
    Good luck.
  • Snoozie400
    Snoozie400 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 14 March 2018 at 8:43PM
    Options
    Check with your neighbours who had increases and when. We discovered that the price hikes were being saved whilst we were in the 6 month price fix and then added on as soon as free of fixed rates. Not everyone received the same price hikes at the same time. We clubbed together ( 24houses) and asked for a meeting with the supplier to resolve the matter and a much lower price was agreed for all. As soon as contracts were signed they were back to their old tricks again. We didnt sign a new contract and switched supplier to a local supplier who does not hike the prices every few months.
  • LittleVermin
    Options
    Ombudsman? Yes, check this post on main "Bulk LPG .." thread. [That thread is a 'sticky' - so it sticks around at the top of the board. This thread drops down the board as new threads are started....If you post in a sticky your post can be found simply by using the "Search this Thread" button with the appropriate word or words].

Some people across the UK get their LPG fromWoldlink, a farming co-op in Lincolnshire. Woldlink charge really cheap prices - 28.99ppl this month, March 2018 - and they give all the business to Flogas, taking a profit on each litre. We know that when Woldlink was charging 20ppl they were paying Flogas 14ppl (someone let slip this info). Flogas do all the admin as well as the deliveries. I'm currently paying an independent - Extra Fuel - 33ppl and Flogas is doing the deliveries.

Good luck! - and please tell forum users (in the 'Bulk LPG...' sticky) how you got on.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    ALL

it's about time LPG got regulated! its 2018 its about time customers who are off grid stop getting ripped off and messed about. If someone starts a petition share it via facebook or any other methods and it just needs 10000 signatures to go to parliament. Why should mains gas be regulated and not LPG!!!

I agree but it needs 100,000 signatures to get debated in the commons
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport