PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Packed Lunch for work

Options

Comments

• Dora_the_Explorer_5
    Options
    Make yourself some flapjacks for work lunchtime 'pudding' , they're very good for you and cheap as chips. You could also have a couple for brekky if you didn't have time to faff around with cereal as they can be eaten one-handed whilst nagging kids and OH, driving or bus-ing to work and checking work emails. As someone else has pointed out, breakfast is important and oats particularly keep sugar levels and hunger levels under control.
  • Rage_in_Eden
    Options
    I think you can also get those toaster sleeves from JML so they're bound to be in your local woolies or poundstretcher/instore ..... in fact that's such a good idea I may do it myself (we have a toaster and a microwave at work but they are used by one person who also thinks the fridge is hers and complains whenever anyone puts anything in it and she, ahem, isn't the cleanest of people so I am loathe to use the microwave....)
    But I'm going to say this once, and once only, Gene. Stay out of Camberwick Green :D
  • Rage_in_Eden
    Options
    https://www.jmldirect.com - they have a SALE on - yep, thought that'd get your attention!!!!
    But I'm going to say this once, and once only, Gene. Stay out of Camberwick Green :D
  • Gingham_Ribbon
    Gingham_Ribbon Posts: 31,520 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We often make a batch of sandwiches and freeze them down ready to lift out of the freezer in the morning and go.
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
  • ti1980
    ti1980 Posts: 1,528 Forumite
    Options
    Ok, this is what I do when I make bacon and pepper pasta.

I usually do my peeling and chopping first so I can just add things in but it depends what works for you I guess.
    I use 6-8 rashers usually depending on the pack size so between 200-300g.
    I chop the bacon up quite thinly and then I peel and chop a couple of smallish onions. If I have a courgette then I chop that up. Also if I have some tomatoes that need using up then I chop them up too.
    Then I would chop up my pepper(s). As I love peppers (except the green ones) I normally use half a red pepper and half a yellow pepper. Sometimes I buy a pack of three sweet peppers if I'm feeling flush and then I use half a red pepper, half a yellow pepper and half an orange pepper.

Method:

Add a small amount of oil to a wok or pan and set over a medium heat. Fry the bacon gently until the fat begins to run.
    Add the chopped onions and cook until slightly softened.
    Add the peppers, tomatoes and courgettes.
    Add the passata or tin of chopped tomatoes, salt, pepper and any herbs to taste then simmer until reduced.

Cook the pasta, then drain and add to pan. Stir until thoroughtly mixed and heated.

This can be frozen and it makes at least 4 decent sized portions. It just depends how much you like certain ingredients. If you wanted smaller portions then it would make 6. It is filling and has loads of veg in it.

The great thing about this is it is quite versatile so you can adapt it to how you like.
    I use basil but you could use parsley or other herbs.

I'm not keen on mushrooms so I don't use them but if you like them then you could. I have used sweetcorn in it but most of the time I don't. If I don't have any courgette then usually I will have in some spring onions so I use that. Just makes a nice colour contrast, green pepper will also do that but I don't like the taste personally.
    Of course it doesn't have to have bacon in it, can leave that out and then its veggie pasta.
    Don't have to mix in the pasta, could just freeze the sauce and then make the pasta the night before you want to take it into work.

I am no cook but it is so easy to make and tastes delicious. My workmates have tried it and they think its really tasty and the best thing is if you make it in bulk it costs the same for 4-6 meals than it would cost for a cold limp sarnie from a shop.

My bf reckons he doesn't like courgettes but I have made this pasta for him a few times and have put courgette in it every time. He knows my love of onions so I usually put some spring onion in and I also grate half to a whole courgette in too and he just thinks its spring onion. WRONG! :) Of course, courgette is a nice bulker ingredient and I'm sure it is often used to fool fussy children and other halves ;)
  • jobbingmusician
    jobbingmusician Posts: 20,343 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    My fav 'packed' lunch atm is a tin of Spag Bol - 33p from Netto - with some grated cheese on top.

The SB seems exceptionally good - very tasty, but when I looked at the ingredients it is very low in calories and fat! :)
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • ti1980
    ti1980 Posts: 1,528 Forumite
    Options
    That sounds good as its very quick to open a tin. Surprising that it is low in calories and fat as shop ones seem to often be very high in both.
  • SallyinWales
    Options
    Porridge oats are good, pop enough in a plastic bag, with a sprinkling of sugar, cinnamon and a couple of teaspoons of powdered milk, then you just need hot water plus an optional zap in the microwave to cook. You can assemble several weeks worth of bags at once and store them in an airtight tin for ages. I sometimes put a jacket spud in the microwave as I get dressed, wrap it in a teatowel and its still hot when I get to work. Sounds odd as a breakfast but sets you up well for the day, or eat ot cold for lunch. Flapjacks are great if you watch the fat content a little, again, you can make a big batch and they keep well. Very cheap, good slow release carbohydrates.
  • astep70uk
    astep70uk Posts: 338 Forumite
    Options
    What about Couscous? You could take it in a tupperware tub, then at lunchtime just pour on boiling water and put the lid back on for a couple of minutes to cook it. You can also reheat pasta this way by plunging in boiling water for a minute. I take my pasta and sauce seperately, then heat them in the microwave. This way it doesn't go all dry.
    Also, cold pasta is lovely. I mix cooked cold pasta with greek yoghurt, juice of half a lemon and half tin of tuna. This is delicious and really filling.
    Something else tasty and filling especially in the winter is hot weetabix. I heat 2 with milk, mix thoroughly and sprinkle on plenty of sugar. Yum!
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • kit
    kit Posts: 1,678 Forumite
    Options
    I find, when doing pasta and sauce, that you only really need to heat the sauce and then mix in with the cold pasta..... the heat of the sauce is enough to make it all warm enough to eat.

I also agree that cold pasta is great.... try cold pasta, tuna, sweetcorn and mayo (low fat of course!).....yummmmmmmmmy.
    2012 wins approx £11,000 including 5k to spend on a holiday :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport