Where to keep everything?

Options
I now have a small number of accounts that all come with cards, pin numbers and an assortment of log-in information.

Most of the cards I won't actually physically use, (eg current account
for household direct debits/standing orders, transfer card is not used for purchases etc).

I'm looking for ideas of where/how to store the cards and the associated information. Guessing I don't want to stick the cards and their pin numbers together anywhere so guess I'll need two safe places at home?
Debt Free: 01/01/2020

Comments

• 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    Options
    Use a USB stick to create a txt file in which you store your logon information etc etc

if you know your passwords and are unlikely to forget them then just put perhaps the first and last character of the password as a reminder to you in that file

If you don't want to use the same password for each bank account say then you can choose a base a password and add a couple of things on the end for example LL for Lloyds, NW for Nationwide etc etc so that the passwords are similar but not the same

scratch the CVV numbers off the back of each card and make a note of them in the text file so that if anybody does get hold of the cards they are fairly useless I have scratched the CVV numbers off all of my credit and debit cards

find a suitable hiding place in your house as you say separate for the cards and for the USB stick
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,622 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    For PIN numbers I set them all to the same number and then dispose of notification. Login details are kept in a password manager and cards safely locked away in a drawer at home
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,670 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If possible, don't keep a direct note of these details, but make yourself a hint that you'll understand immediately but nobody else will.

For example, if your password is Sally37 (which you chose because Sally was the name of your first dog and 37 was the year Grandma was born) then your hint would be "first dog + gran born".
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    jimjames wrote: »
    For PIN numbers I set them all to the same number and then dispose of notification. Login details are kept in a password manager and cards safely locked away in a drawer at home
    Very similar to what I am doing. My 'drawer' is actually a small safe, which also contains important documents such as birth certificates and passports. It's fireproof for up to an hour, too.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 18 February 2019 at 6:56PM
    Options
    Regarding password manager:

I use Lastpass as my password manager / information bank

Apart from being an enormous help for myself, not just for bank accounts and card details, I have also set it up so other people can access the information in emergencies, incl. my death. Some information is shared on an ongoing basis with someone else - e.g. a trusted neighbour with a spare key to the house knows where to find the code for the fire alarm.
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,211 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    colsten wrote: »
    Regarding password manager:

I use Lastpass as my password manager / information bank

Apart from being an enormous help for myself, not just for bank accounts and card details, I have also set it up so other people can access the information in emergencies, incl. my death. Some information is shared on an ongoing basis with someone else - e.g. a trusted neighbour with a spare key to the house knows where to find the code for the fire alarm.

Would you mind sharing (briefly) how this is possible? I'm considering a password manager instead of my current password protected excel spreadsheet on an encrypted password protected USB stick.

Its fine for me but when I shuffle off, if husband is still around he won't have a clue what to do with it (even if I explain) and my son is on the other side of the world.

PS link doesn't work for me
  • Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Re PIN numbers I set all mine (and I have 25+ accounts) to a variant of just three that I use regularly. The variant is the last digit on the card. So all I have to remember is which PIN of the three and alter the last digit. Works fine until a new card is issued with a new card number and i forget to change the PIN...
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I keep account details in separate encrypted and password protected excel files on the PC. From time to time a copy on USB stick is lodged with a family member who lives elsewhere.

PIN numbers are stored as 4 letter strings - I use a handy little mnemonic to encode the 4 digits to letters (just using a to k would be too obvious).
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    Options
    I think if you are considering leaving a list of passwords etc for if you shuffle off This Mortal Coil then it is worth remembering that unless it is a joint account then the survivor will not have the authority to log on etc and therefore there is very little point in doing that

the only thing you need to do is to leave a list of the institutions you bank with so the survivor can contact them with your death certificate
  • Jami74
    Jami74 Posts: 1,018 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    18cc wrote: »
    I think if you are considering leaving a list of passwords etc for if you shuffle off This Mortal Coil then it is worth remembering that unless it is a joint account then the survivor will not have the authority to log on etc and therefore there is very little point in doing that

the only thing you need to do is to leave a list of the institutions you bank with so the survivor can contact them with your death certificate

Thanks, that's useful information. My worry is early stage dementia, supposing I want to access my accounts and spend my money but have forgotten all the info? Wonder at what point is sensible to appoint a POA.
    Debt Free: 01/01/2020
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure