Tiger's DMP Journey

Options

Comments

• booksandbacon
    Options
    Evenin'!

Thinking about Sky - if you have a smart TV have you thought about getting Netflix, Now TV and/or Amazon Firestick? A lot of the same stuff is on there, especially Now TV and they have the same 'packages' as Sky (sport, box sets etc) - and it's cheaper than Sky (you have to pay out for the Now TV 'box' but I think mine was £15).

Also, thinking about Mrs Tiger and employment options: have you thought about the NHS Bank? It's "zero hours" which unfortunately means no holiday pay, but the work offered is flexible and very varied, so it could be a good opportunity to try things out to see what fits and what doesn't. I think jobs are sent out via a text alert and you can either accept/decline based on what suits you.

B&B
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,924 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I was just about to suggest netflix as a TV alternative.

I wasnt aware of the NHS bank being anything other than nurses/hca's etc.

Mrs Tiger could look into office work and admin, it is quite varied. Have a look at some of the temping agencies (Reed, Office Angels, Search - just to drop a few names in as a starting point) see what they have as she could do assignments as and when, not commiting to a perm job.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • DMP_Tiger
    DMP_Tiger Posts: 182 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Evenin'!

Thinking about Sky - if you have a smart TV have you thought about getting Netflix, Now TV and/or Amazon Firestick? A lot of the same stuff is on there, especially Now TV and they have the same 'packages' as Sky (sport, box sets etc) - and it's cheaper than Sky (you have to pay out for the Now TV 'box' but I think mine was £15).

Also, thinking about Mrs Tiger and employment options: have you thought about the NHS Bank? It's "zero hours" which unfortunately means no holiday pay, but the work offered is flexible and very varied, so it could be a good opportunity to try things out to see what fits and what doesn't. I think jobs are sent out via a text alert and you can either accept/decline based on what suits you.

B&B

I'm ashamed to admit that we have the full Sky package, Amazon Fire stick with Prime and also Netflix. My grown-up daughter pays half of Netflix and the £7.99 per month for Amazon Prime is saved by free Amazon delivery. We do use all 3 services and the money comes out of our entertainment budget. We could cut cut it down but we don't want to at the moment.

Is the NHS thing just nurses, etc...?
    August 2018: Secured Debt £70,003 Unsecured Debt (DMP) £34,657 Total £104,660 DFD: March 2031
    January 2019: Secured Debt £68,269 Unsecured Debt (DMP) £34,457 Total £102,726 DFD: March 2031
  • DMP_Tiger
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I was just about to suggest netflix as a TV alternative.

I wasnt aware of the NHS bank being anything other than nurses/hca's etc.

Mrs Tiger could look into office work and admin, it is quite varied. Have a look at some of the temping agencies (Reed, Office Angels, Search - just to drop a few names in as a starting point) see what they have as she could do assignments as and when, not commiting to a perm job.

Thank you - I think she is planning on contacting the agencies. It will most likely be admin type stuff that she goes for.
    August 2018: Secured Debt £70,003 Unsecured Debt (DMP) £34,657 Total £104,660 DFD: March 2031
    January 2019: Secured Debt £68,269 Unsecured Debt (DMP) £34,457 Total £102,726 DFD: March 2031
  • booksandbacon
    Options
    It’s administration jobs as well - data entry, report typing, filing, that sort of thing!
  • DMP_Tiger
    First Anniversary
    Options
    It’s administration jobs as well - data entry, report typing, filing, that sort of thing!

Oh ok, didn't know that! Thank you.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    If your wife has not worked for a long time doing a course to update her skills(free) might be worth looking into. I did one after leaving banking and going into HE Admin.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • DMP_Tiger
    First Anniversary
    edited 26 July 2018 at 4:46PM
    Options
    End of Month 1:

Total Debt - £34,588 :eek:

Pay day tomorrow :j:j

I have £26.18 in my bank account. That's a positive balance :j

I think the last time I had a positive bank balance the day before payday was some time around 1992.....

The debts are still at £34k, but they haven't gone up this month.

I haven't managed to put anything into any of the savings pots or into the EF but hey, one step at a time - I have a positive bank balance :j:j
  • DMP_Tiger
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Actually, I could put the £26.18 into one of the savings pots :)
  • motivated
    motivated Posts: 3,044 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    DMP_Tiger wrote: »
    Actually, I could put the £26.18 into one of the savings pots :)

£26.18 is good start. As you say you are not usually lucky enough to have a positive balance and it's only £73.82 away from your first £100. :D

I play the rounding down game with myself. I round down accounts constantly and move small amounts to a savings pot. It soon mounts up. For example send the £6.18 to a savings pot and do this regularly, keeping your account at a nice round number. Ive even sent 2p before and it soon adds up

Just a thought
    Good luck
    M
    Emptying my lake with a teaspoon
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business