Tiger's DMP Journey

Options
Ok here goes with my diary:

I am in debt to the tune of £34,000 :eek:
I know why - because my wife and I have spent more than our incomings for the whole of the almost 26 years that we have been married. We have consolidated numerous times over the years and then got very excited about empty credit cards. This has led to further consolidations and so on and so forth.....

We were on top of things 3 years ago and the debt was less than £20k and going down nicely but then I got made redundant and had to take a salary cut. the debt has risen to it's current level since then.

Well enough is enough. We haven't missed a payment to our 5 creditors but only because when we run out of money we have the credit cards. So last week I called Stepchange and will soon be beginning a Debt Management Plan.

Our finances are joint - we have no money of our own. Marriage is a partnership, my wife has been a stay at home mum as we believed that this would be best for our children so it would be unfair of me to say that my salary is mine. The debts are all in my name so the DMP is mine only but my wife is fully on board with everything.

So far I have sent letters/secure messages to all of our creditors but haven't yet had any replies (but I only sent them yesterday). I have agreed with Stepchange 5 months of token payments so that I can build up an emergency fund.

I have cancelled all DD's so nobody will receive May's payment :eek:

I am slightly worried but not as worried as I was a week ago when I was looking at our ever increasing debt and lack of spare money to have a life.

To be continued.......
August 2018: Secured Debt £70,003 Unsecured Debt (DMP) £34,657 Total £104,660 DFD: March 2031
January 2019: Secured Debt £68,269 Unsecured Debt (DMP) £34,457 Total £102,726 DFD: March 2031

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You have landed in the right place , good luck with everything. It may be scary to start with but you have done the right thing.
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    DMP_Tiger wrote: »
    I have agreed with Stepchange 5 months of token payments so that I can build up an emergency fund.

Might help but (as someone who went though it) you would (might) have been better paying nothing until they default you.

It sounds scary at first but it starts the 6 year clock (of your credit wothyness) ticking (and some will try not to do it even though they should to punish you further).

Also don't be scared to leave stephchange and do it yourself. They insist upon equalness to who you are paying even if they are not equal to you (in defaulting or stopping interest).
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,292 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Good luck on your DFW journey :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • DMP_Tiger
    DMP_Tiger Posts: 182 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    You have landed in the right place , good luck with everything. It may be scary to start with but you have done the right thing.

Yep it sure is scary! :eek::eek:

Feels better than the constant worry of the debt though :beer:
    August 2018: Secured Debt £70,003 Unsecured Debt (DMP) £34,657 Total £104,660 DFD: March 2031
    January 2019: Secured Debt £68,269 Unsecured Debt (DMP) £34,457 Total £102,726 DFD: March 2031
  • DMP_Tiger
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Carrot007 wrote: »
    Might help but (as someone who went though it) you would (might) have been better paying nothing until they default you.

It sounds scary at first but it starts the 6 year clock (of your credit wothyness) ticking (and some will try not to do it even though they should to punish you further).

Also don't be scared to leave stephchange and do it yourself. They insist upon equalness to who you are paying even if they are not equal to you (in defaulting or stopping interest).

Thanks for that, I thought that paying £1 per month would lead to default but I may be wrong. I've paid £1 to the 3 credit cards but nothing to the 2 loans as yet.

Stepchange were great for initial advice and they've given me a reference number to use but by the time I'm ready to begin the proper DMP, I will have done the difficult bit so I may go self-managed.
  • Maverick87
    Maverick87 Posts: 18 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Will be keeping an eye on this, good luck with it all.

I want to take a similar approach to you with regards the emergency fund. The template letter from stepchange advises sending a budget to the creditors as part of telling them payments will be reduced to £1. Is that correct? Then in 2 months time, send the pack back to them to get the ball rolling once the 3 months is up.

Do you have a letter template different from the above at all?
  • booksandbacon
    Options
    Hi!

Good luck on you DF journey and thanks for posting on my diary :D subscribing to yours, its weirdly comforting to know we're at similar starting out points - race you to the finish? :rotfl: :beer:
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Good luck on the DMP. How old are your children? Can your wife return to work now as presumably if you have been married 26 years they are older now?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • DMP_Tiger
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Good morning diary. Well I had completely forgotten that I had started a diary which is why it hadn't been updated....

Will update properly later but my daughter wants her breakfast and I have to hang out the washing...

Not sure how much creditor detail to put on here, I'm worried that one or all of my creditors will read my diary, identify me and demand more money.
  • DMP_Tiger
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi!

Good luck on you DF journey and thanks for posting on my diary :D subscribing to yours, its weirdly comforting to know we're at similar starting out points - race you to the finish? :rotfl: :beer:

Thank you :beer:

It's going to be a long race - definitely a marathon and not a sprint :rotfl::
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure