2018 Frugal Living Challenge

Options

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    waves! Hello all. Back from my trip up north exhausted. I have decided to keep doing the frugal challenge but literally living off basics as I have decided to move up north in the next four months. I am saving every spare penny I have coming in (Come on quidco!!). I am also doing surveys to earn some extra cash. (£11) earned in 3 days isnt too shabby.

Which survey sites to you use? I tried a few over the past but none of them seemed to pay out much. SB started off well and then always kept telling me I didn't qualify for the survey after about 5 minutes in.....
  • indigowarrior
    Options
    I use Swagbucks and Qmee. I feel doing surveys require a large amount of patience and it is easy to get frustrated.
    No Spend November 2/15 and SPC 134
  • shabbychic12
    shabbychic12 Posts: 315 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Well reading all the posts l can on this challenge must have affected my deep conscious because lve used up some potatoes that l would normally throw away- who knew you could freeze mash. Then l stewed some plums that were never going to rippen and then finally made some soup with the veg destined for the green bin. We may all be ill this week with my cooking but at least l'm being frugal lol.
    Count down to retirement 2023
  • EmergencyNurse
    Options
    Hello everyone. I am on a mission live on a £50 monthly grocery budget. I think it's definitely possible do you?
    Debt March 2018 £27,596:eek: DMP Start June 2018 Debt Free Date 2023:T:T:T Debt July 2020 £14,700 Debt July 2021 £9300
  • System
    Options
    Hello everyone. I am on a mission live on a £50 monthly grocery budget. I think it's definitely possible do you?

how many people are you feeding for £50? There are 2 of us and we currently spend about £15-25 per week, but I am sure I can get it down. This week has been really good and I only spent about £9 so far with a few more to spend on veg tomorrow, but the rest of our meals are from stuff we already have.
  • EmergencyNurse
    Options
    ploppy57 wrote: »
    how many people are you feeding for £50? There are 2 of us and we currently spend about £15-25 per week, but I am sure I can get it down. This week has been really good and I only spent about £9 so far with a few more to spend on veg tomorrow, but the rest of our meals are from stuff we already have.

Its just to feed me. I did a monthly grocery shop online and only managed to spend £25.10, and the one luxury item i ordered to so I could qualify for delivery ended up being substituted!! My cupboards are full. I can do this!!! :T
    Debt March 2018 £27,596:eek: DMP Start June 2018 Debt Free Date 2023:T:T:T Debt July 2020 £14,700 Debt July 2021 £9300
  • System
    Options
    Its just to feed me. I did a monthly grocery shop online and only managed to spend £25.10, and the one luxury item i ordered to so I could qualify for delivery ended up being substituted!! My cupboards are full. I can do this!!! :T

Gosh yes, you can do it if only feeding one of you...no problem. I find I have to shop at so many different places to get the bargains....£Stretcher for tinned salmon, kitchen roll, loo roll and few other bits. £Land for some bits, Lidl for others, the list goes on. I pop into Mr M's on my way home sometimes and if they have fish or meat reduced, I buy it and freeze it. But luckily they are all close together so can do it without spending extra on fuel.
  • EmergencyNurse
    Options
    ploppy57 wrote: »
    Gosh yes, you can do it if only feeding one of you...no problem. I find I have to shop at so many different places to get the bargains....£Stretcher for tinned salmon, kitchen roll, loo roll and few other bits. £Land for some bits, Lidl for others, the list goes on. I pop into Mr M's on my way home sometimes and if they have fish or meat reduced, I buy it and freeze it. But luckily they are all close together so can do it without spending extra on fuel.

Thank you, I've been on some DMP forums with my SOA and nobody thought it was sustainable to have a £50 budget!. I felt a bit disheartened.
    I've no longer got a car, so I'm relying on delivery which works out cheaper than bus fare. I did like Aldi, poundland etc though.
  • System
    Options
    Thank you, I've been on some DMP forums with my SOA and nobody thought it was sustainable to have a £50 budget!. I felt a bit disheartened.
    I've no longer got a car, so I'm relying on delivery which works out cheaper than bus fare. I did like Aldi, poundland etc though.

Yes, I suppose it is harder if you are limited to where you can buy from. Its a pit the likes of Lidl and Aldi don't deliver. Do you have a local market? Normally some great deals on fruit and veg etc in the markets.
  • Savvy_sewing
    Savvy_sewing Posts: 11,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    I am reading but not been on top of the budget, choosing to buy bits and bobs on the way home ( walking), at the coop so that's more expensive than the drive to Aldi.
    Now the snow is fading I will try and get to Aldi this week.
    Just been given a bag of clothes, so going to have a rummage and see who will gain what, and what I will Upcycle.
    I have been working at home due to Dgd being ill, so funds are low, and I will need to up my game. I still haven't decluttered and I was planning to sell as much as I could this year.
    Must try harder.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure