Paying British Gas by direct debit

Options
squeaky
squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
First Post Combo Breaker
If there's a recent thread on this topic then by all means merge it please BG's

I took the option some time ago to pay my bill by Direct Debit to take advantage of however much it was off my bill each year, but no matter how often I try to reset the payment level to something sensible it always creeps up again until I have a huge credit which eventually they pay back...

..the following is my most recent complaint to them. Has anyone else been through a similar thing with them?
Hello - my account is now £169 in credit!

That's more than six months worth of payments!

More to the point - I have previously said that due to more careful use of gas and the change to a very efficient combi boiler my payments need to be reduced to £20 per month AT MOST instead of the twenty five you currently take.

You did in fact reduce the DD as requested but within a short space of time it crept back up again. This MUST stop.

I would like:-

a) my monthly DD reduced to twenty pounds AT MOST and would like you to review and reduce closer to my CURRENT average usage which is now AND WILL CONTINUE TO BE lower than it has been historically.

b) I would like my £169 back please.

c) I would like all the interest that YOU have been earning off MY money.

d) In future I want you to ASK before increasing my DD

I do not mind at all if there is a small short fall that has to be made up by a separate payment on occasion due the natural variation in usage. I DO mind that you have got more of my money than *I* have! It's true! I'm on benefits and my bank account is lower than the amount of credit I have with you.
Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50

Comments

• squiggles
    squiggles Posts: 1,635 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Im fairly sure that payments are re assessed on a yearly basis only and any money owed to you will be sent once they do their anual consumption calculations for increase/decrease your payments.Otherwise as soon as summer is over and everyone is in credit they will all be requesting their monies and will be in debt with their supplier throught winter.

Someone might be along to correct me but i think im right in what i said : )
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Aye, this is true but they don't seem to have been keeping up with the fact that my consumption has been considerably lower for more than a year.

They've just reassessed me and reduced my monthly DD to fifteen pounds and, post an up to date meter reading, I didn't get £169 cr back...

..I got £221

Needless to say, I didn't get any interest :)

Still, that's one way to save up for Christmas....
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Vital_Spark_2
    Options
    I think, Squiggles, that you are correct about the assessments.

If, however, you leave Brit Gas and, I presume, others of the same ilk and you have credit lying, ou will have to approach tehm for it as they no onger advise the customer. I was fortunate in having a friedn working with them who advised me that I had £150 in credit lying waiting to be claimed. The friend advised me that Brit Gas wouldn't have informed me of this fact.

Moral of story: if you are changing a supplier or ceasign a supply, phone pu and check if they owe you anything then claim it.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    I think, Squiggles, that you are correct about the assessments.

If, however, you leave Brit Gas and, I presume, others of the same ilk and you have credit lying, ou will have to approach tehm for it as they no onger advise the customer. I was fortunate in having a friedn working with them who advised me that I had £150 in credit lying waiting to be claimed. The friend advised me that Brit Gas wouldn't have informed me of this fact.

Moral of story: if you are changing a supplier or ceasign a supply, phone pu and check if they owe you anything then claim it.

It must be nice to have friends who give you such accurate advice.
  • gotnobread
    Options
    Hi all,

I worked for British Gas for around 8 years, up until recently.

Your monthly DD is based on a review of the previous year's consumption (assuming it's not estimated). So if your total consumption last year was £240, you will need to pay £20 per month. Of course, you won't use this much during the summer and hence will build up a credit but this credit, together with the £20 payments you keep paying, should cover your winter gas consumption - the idea is that you should finish 12 months after you started with a balance of nil. The scheme is re-assessed twice a year, at 6 and 12 months.

Although you're not paid interest on the credit, you're not charged debit interest on any debit balance and you get a discount for paying by DD.

At the end of the 12 months, any credit over £50 will automatically be refunded into your bank account - any figure under £50 will be kept by British Gas and factored-in to your next year's payments (i.e. they should go down by a few pounds per month). You can of course contact them and request a refund if you'd prefer to trouser your cash.

The more consumption history in the billing system, the more accurate your payments should be.

The best advice I can give is to keep a note of your own meter readings at the same time each month - if you use the (*very approximate*) rule of thumb that each unit on a 4-dial meter costs 50p, and each unit on a 5-dial meter costs 17p, you can calculate a ballpark figure of how much you're using - if your payments are way out, you can call BG with your meter reading info and get them to amend the payments accordingly.

Vital Spark - sounds like you had a bad experience; when you transfer gas suppliers, you should normally get a closing statement which shows your balance (credit or debit) - credit should automatically be refunded by the system into your bank account, or by cheque if you've cancelled the Direct Debit.

Cheers!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport