Does community speed watch scheme work

Options

Comments

• Warwick_Hunt
    Warwick_Hunt Posts: 1,179 Forumite
    Options
    Robisere wrote: »
    All the critics talking about "old codgers" and "old farts" trying to slow down speeders, ignores what happens in my village. The village is built within a series of sharp, winding bends along a single-carriageway 'A' road, which is a holiday route. Out of season, locals stick to the 30 mph limit, 20 past the school. And we do stick to it. However, once the holiday season begins, we get caravans, cars and mobile homes racing through our village at well over the limits. There is a village shop on the other side of the road from our bungalows, which are Sheltered Housing. Therefore we old codgers are forced to run the gauntlet when we cross the road: is this what some here might consider as reducing the population of old farts?

At the moment, the situation is going to be made worse by the building of new homes, which will have a new exit road. On the crown of a 'blind' bend. Despite hundreds of letters and opposition by the Parish council, this went ahead. The homes will be built and the exit road in use, by the summer season. The consequences are obvious.

Sometimes old codgers have a genuine desire to live longer.

Traffic lights.
  • Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    At the moment, the situation is going to be made worse by the building of new homes, which will have a new exit road. On the crown of a 'blind' bend. Despite hundreds of letters and opposition by the Parish council, this went ahead. The homes will be built and the exit road in use, by the summer season. The consequences are obvious.

Old codgers and NIMBYs it gets better.:T
  • discat11
    discat11 Posts: 528 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Car_54 wrote: »
    Why would they need photographic equipment?

People were successfully prosecuted for centuries before the camera was invented, and still are.

They aren't police, therefore it would be the same as someone completely random reporting you for something equally random that you could be prosecuted for.

I have no issue with those who are properly trained & officially allowed to submit reports for prosecution, however in my case it would have been a complete miscarriage had it been taken to prosecution and a waste of taxpayers, police & my time.
  • Warwick_Hunt
    Options
    discat11 wrote: »
    They aren't police, therefore it would be the same as someone completely random reporting you for something equally random that you could be prosecuted for.

I have no issue with those who are properly trained & officially allowed to submit reports for prosecution, however in my case it would have been a complete miscarriage had it been taken to prosecution and a waste of taxpayers, police & my time.

No it’s not, they would have a type approved device to measure the speed and the authority of the Chief Constable. So exactly the same as the police.
  • discat11
    Options
    No it’s not, they would have a type approved device to measure the speed and the authority of the Chief Constable. So exactly the same as the police.

Well perhaps a FOI request for how many of their 'reports' are discredited later would be enlightening compared with proper traffic police?

IIRC they don't actually have either proper evidence gathering equipment or properly calibrated speed detection equipment in any case.

I'm happy it keeps them happy, but IMHO that is all it is designed to do.

It's a bloody nuisance to those who get misreported though that's for damn sure.
  • Warwick_Hunt
    Options
    discat11 wrote: »
    Well perhaps a FOI request for how many of their 'reports' are discredited later would be enlightening compared with proper traffic police? Give the scheme hasn’t started yet it would be a waste of time.

IIRC they don't actually have either proper evidence gathering equipment or properly calibrated speed detection equipment in any case.They will have.

I'm happy it keeps them happy, but IMHO that is all it is designed to do.

It's a bloody nuisance to those who get misreported though that's for damn sure.

It’ll be a big nuisance when it costs them £100 and three points.
  • discat11
    Options
    what part of misreported does this apply to?
    If I received 3 points and a£100 fine for something I didn't do because someone mis reported a vehicle you may be damn sure I wouldn't be paying or suffering any such thing.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,283 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    A NIP cannot be issued from a community speed watch report. Police say they will 'actively' target a serial 'offender' but evidence from the community people is insufficient to begin a prosecution.

See

http://www.staffssaferroads.co.uk/my-community/community-speed-watch

https://www.trafficchoices.co.uk/traffic-schemes/community-speed-watch.shtml
  • Deastons
    Deastons Posts: 464 Forumite
    Options
    After seeing this thread, I did a bit of research and found out that our village has a community speed watch.

Our village is 30mph, but I would estimate the average speed of drivers to be 40-45mph. I regularly get overtaken when driving home. But through the night, cars go through at 50-60mph+.

I have my training next week and, as someone who often doesn't finish work until after midnight, I'm going to enjoy then going out and recording some speeds.
  • Deastons
    Deastons Posts: 464 Forumite
    Options
    locals stick to the 30 mph limit, 20 past the school. And we do stick to it. However, once the holiday season begins, we get caravans, cars and mobile homes racing through our village at well over the limits.

Thing is, all those cars that speed through your village will stick to the limit in their village, and complain about all the people that speed through their village.

And I would hazard a guess that many of your neighbours that stick to 30 in your village, speed elsewhere.

The problem is that humans are selfish. They don't like people speeding through their village, but they will speed through others because they need to get home to put the dinner on.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure