Switching to Virgin Media, do I need to cancel BT?

Options
I've ordered a Virgin Media Bundle on their website, specifying I want to keep my phone number.

They advised me to call my existing provider to cancel the contract. My current provider is BT - and I'm outside the minimum contract period (plus I've received a letter with BT price hikes, so I can cancel anyway for free regardless).

I've called BT on the phone and they told me that I have to wait until I receive the email from BT saying that I'll be disconnected. Once Virgin Media takes over I don't need to do anything else - the services (TV, broadband and phone) will be automatically cancelled.

So, Virgin tells me I need to cancel, but BT says I don't need to do anything.

Anybody else have had this situation before?

Thanks!

Comments

• unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I assume that this is similar to the way it works with mobile numbers.

If you cancel BT before the number is ported to Virgin then you will lose your number. You need to wait for Virgin to take over the number
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You can't trust vm to cancel other services.

Wait a while 9 days + and then phone bt to check there are aware of the cancellation. If they aren't I'm not sure what you do next lol.
  • manub
    manub Posts: 137 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks to everybody - actually I've just got an email from BT saying that my services will move with the right date. I'll wait for Virgin to install my Broadband I guess and then I'll ring BT just to make sure everything is in order.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure