Anyone thinking of retiring abroad or long winter holidays abroad?

Options

Comments

• brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,508 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We were in Italy in Lecce at Easter and we met a couple from the US who had taken a 3 year lease on an apartment. They had retained their US home and when the lease is up they will decide where to go next! They didn't have any children in the US though, so no ties to keep them there or pull them back.

One thing that the Americans are used to,is paying for healthcare -so that (probably) doesn't form part of their considerations.
    I suspect a lot of us Brits would be shocked to learn how much medical insurance cover would be ,in ones 60s and 70s !!
  • Terron
    Terron Posts: 846 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    stephen160 wrote: »
    We own a rental villa in Orlando Florida, with the intention of spending the winter
    months in the villa. I would prefer to retire to the uk but the weather is so unpredictable, look at today raining and only 8 degrees and its almost May
    steve

And wht's unpredictable about that? As the saying goes:
    March winds and April showers bring forth May flowers
  • bluenose1
    bluenose1 Posts: 2,667 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We always watch Place In the Sun type programmes, though think same as crv1963 that I would prefer long term lets and see the world. Plus unless we sold up in the UK, which I am very cautious about doing think we could only afford something that resembled Colditz. Though suppose I would at least be warm.
    Also don't want the responsibility of maintenance of somewhere abroad.
    Think we would start off with 3- 4 week breaks and see how we get on.
    I have had a lovely couple of hours looking at jet2.com holidays and shortlisting holidays for a month. Only got to wait 3 years to book!!!

I suppose a consideration in deciding where to go will be cost of living so will use the post office barometer to help us decide best value destinations.
    Never really thought about the likes of Thailand and Vietnam so some good suggestions on this thread.
    We were surprised how cheap Portugal was this year, really liked it there.
    I got in the habit of doing 3 mile barefoot runs every morning on the beach and I felt really set up for the day.
    Now back to my running on Crosby Beach, past the Antony Gormley iron men. Lovely but not quite the same as Portugal and would never do that in bare feet.
    Money SPENDING Expert

• bostonerimus
    bostonerimus Posts: 5,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 28 April 2018 at 6:14PM
    Options
    brewerdave wrote: »
    One thing that the Americans are used to,is paying for healthcare -so that (probably) doesn't form part of their considerations.
    I suspect a lot of us Brits would be shocked to learn how much medical insurance cover would be ,in ones 60s and 70s !!

The US healthcare system is all over the map. I'm lucky as I pay just $100/month for fantastic healthcare which is subsidized by my ex-employer....the full cost of the premiums is $500/month. The rule of thumb is that the average person should budget around $10k/year for healthcare. Americans over 65 have their own Government system call Medicare which for $100/month covers quite a lot. But you also then need to buy supplemental insurance to plug the gaps. Bottom line is that if I was 65 now I'd be paying about $200/month for complete coverage. Unfortunately the insurance doesn't work overseas so Americans living overseas have to buy local coverage. That could well be the same for British expats in future....it all depends on the BREXIT terms.
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • Be_Happy
    Be_Happy Posts: 1,391 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Just a reminder to anyone who is on Pension Credit. The time you can spend on holiday abroad and still get Pension Credit, has dropped from 13 weeks to 4 weeks.
  • teamgb
    teamgb Posts: 118 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Be aware that it does get cold in Spain during the winter. Homes have no insulation and most do not have central heating or even a piped gas supply. They have bottled gas and electric heaters.

When I visit my Spanish neighbours they are often sat wrapped in blankets.
  • ibizafan_2
    ibizafan_2 Posts: 920 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I agree with the previous post. Property in mainland Spain and the Balearics can be freezing in the winter. I once stayed with a friend in February who had no heating and I’ve never felt so cold in my life. I think I would head for the Canaries myself. We always go to Tenerife for a couple of weeks in November and the weather is mostly good, even if it’s a bit cloudy at times. I’m not sure I could stay away for months though. Too much going on at home, although we are lucky enough to be able to get away fairly frequently.
  • Takedap
    Takedap Posts: 805 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Can anyone recommend good websites or blogs on this subject please?
  • bluenose1
    bluenose1 Posts: 2,667 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Takedap wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend good websites or blogs on this subject please?

Ive looked and can't really find anything. Definitely a gap in the market as I am sure there must be loads of people who would want/ give tips and advice.
    There is a USA site that has a travel information topic, though obviously aimed at Americans.
    http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/
    Money SPENDING Expert

• atush
    atush Posts: 18,726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    elsien wrote: »
    My dog sitter had two homes, one in Spain and one here. They spent 6 months in each. Spain over the winter, back here for 6 months in the summer to catch up with friends and family, and do some dog boarding for their doggy fix. Seemed to work ok for them.

We will do this, only to Florida as i am american and have a small house there.

My only real problem will be health insurance.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure