Has anyone used Clearview or Everest for a garden room?

Options
We are struggling to find a local builder who can do an extension for us- they are basically all booked up for the next 12 months. So we are considering using the likes of Clearview or Everest who apparently do orangeries/garden rooms and not just conservatories.

Just wondered, have any of you used them for a garden room or orangery and if so what was your experience? How reasonable were they? Is there anything we should know/ask?

Comments

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    Options
    By garden room, do you mean a standalone detached building or something like a conservatory?
  • fozzeh
    fozzeh Posts: 994 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Home Insurance Hacker! Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Sorry, I mean that it carries on from the house. It's more energy efficient than a conservatory, it's more akin to an extension.
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    fozzeh wrote: »
    Sorry, I mean that it carries on from the house. It's more energy efficient than a conservatory, it's more akin to an extension.

How do you know? Does it meet building regulations?
  • fozzeh
    Options
    Because it's built with a tile roof, it's a different kind of build. We already have building planning permission for a full extension so it would meet criteria anyway.

What I'm interested in is peoples' experiences of this company.

Thank you
  • LandyAndy
    edited 7 December 2017 at 1:27PM
    Options
    Because it's built with a tile roof, it's a different kind of build. We already have building planning permission for a full extension so it would meet criteria anyway.

What I'm interested in is peoples' experiences of this company.

Thank you

I didn't ask about planning permission.

I was genuinely interested in how you knew that it was more energy efficient and, if so, by how much.
  • fozzeh
    Options
    No, neither did I.

I'm just asking about peoples' experiences with this company.

Thanks
  • LandyAndy
    Options
    We are struggling to find a local builder who can do an extension for us- they are basically all booked up for the next 12 months. So we are considering using the likes of Clearview or Everest who apparently do orangeries/garden rooms and not just conservatories.

Just wondered, have any of you used them for a garden room or orangery and if so what was your experience? How reasonable were they? Is there anything we should know/ask?

I haven't used them for those things but I did have Everest fit a roofline to my previous house. Seemed decent quality and the fitters did a sound job.

They do have a reputation for being expensive and poor for fitting for replacement windows compared to local independents.

I have recently had an extension built. My advice would be to have a proper extension built even if you have to wait a while to get it done. Not that you want that advice obv.

'Build in haste, repent at leisure' as the old saying nearly goes.
  • LandyAndy
    Options
    No, neither did I.

I'm just asking about peoples' experiences with this company.

Thanks

<sigh> .
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You’re being sold an inferior product, nondoubt for the same price as a proper extension by these people. They charge the earth and don’t provide a personal service. You have no way of checking the past work of the subcontractors building for you as you won’t know who they are.

Simply the fact that they’re selling you something ‘akin to an extension’ which is certainly not akin to an extension tells me everything I need to know.

You need to wait for good builders. Be patient, get the best product for your money that will add value to your house, not a glorified conservatory that doesn’t meet Building Regulations for an extension.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    Options
    Everest got a slating from Which Magazine around 14 months ago - as did Anglian and Safestyle. The verdict was use local, trusted companies.

A chap down the road had, cannot recall if it was Anglian or Everest now, doing his work. Cost a fortune, he was ripped off to an eye watering extent and the work dragged on for months because of poor workmanship, unreliable sub contractors and all round incompetence.

Orangery or Garden Room is generally marketing BS for non compliant, non regulated construction where anything goes. The savvy decision is an extension, and if one is equally savvy value can be achieved which can make many folks conservatories look grossly over priced.

My sun room cost a fraction of what many folks spend on a conservatory, and the build quality is light years ahead of any conservatory.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure