Purchasing new (to me) home & don't know their current suppliers

Options
NigelWagstaff
NigelWagstaff Posts: 8 Forumite
First Anniversary
edited 17 October 2018 at 5:14PM in Water bills
Hi there. I am buying a home to move in but it needs some knocking about before I move in. I will stay in my current home which is with the MSE Energy club.

The new home I understand I need to create another account, but as I do so it seems to want me to give details on the current supplier and usage, which I have no details for!

Anyone know what to do??

Sorry I have put this in the wrong thread. re-listing in another . . . .

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Are you sur you are in the correct section? This is for water
  • D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ask whoever you buy it from who they get their energy supplied by - this should have been in the paperwork you got from your solicitor.

Ring the suppliers up and tell them as from xxx date you are responsible for energy payments and give them the meter readings you took when you got possession of the place and ask them to set you up with an account from that date and with those readings.

If you can, take dated photos of the readings when you do them.

Don't forget to do the same for water - read the meter and tell the local water company etc etc - if it has a meter it will most likely be under a black cover set in the pavement somewhere near a line with the front door - prise the cover off with a coin or screwdriver, read meter and replace cover.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Assuming your query is for gas/electricity you have no option initially but to use the present supplier(s) as you are on a legally binding deemed contract with them. That will mean paying standing charges even if you don't use any gas/electricity.

You can instigate a switch as soon as you have registered with the current supplier.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure