Options
13»

Comments

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Valli wrote: »
    well upshot is I now am picking up a 'new' car Monday. 0% finance.

Looking to fix this one as cheaply as possible then maybe sell it; got a few months MOT left to run. Or scrap it if too dear to fix.
    Sorry... You're buying a new car rather than doing a little bit of basic maintenance?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Sorry... You're buying a new car rather than doing a little bit of basic maintenance?

To be fair its a 15 nearly 16 year old car with a fault which is known to open a whole can of worms on that particular car which can snowball well beyond basic maintenance. Been there, done it on my son's MK6 Fiesta. If he'd had to pay labour to fix it you'd be looking at a fairly weighty bill.
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    A set of plugs from Eurocarparts with a savings voucher code can be less than a £10, Routine servicing often does not include changing plugs, I'd always try this first for the kind of problem described. Even if it doesn't fix it MPG usually improves a fraction helping recover the cost and they need changing sooner or later anyway.
  • Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,781 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Exactly, Tarambor. It's getting to the point where repairs cost almost as much as it's worth. And as the insurance is due next weekend it's an ideal time to change up.
    If I can get it fixed cheaply I'll try to sell it - if not it's off to the scrapper.
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • ratrace
    ratrace Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    Options
    Exactly, Tarambor. It's getting to the point where repairs cost almost as much as it's worth. And as the insurance is due next weekend it's an ideal time to change up.
    If I can get it fixed cheaply I'll try to sell it - if not it's off to the scrapper.

I would waited untill you actually knew what the problem was with the car and see how much it would have cost you to keep it going before you bought a newer car but thats taking in to account that the rest of the car is still in decent nick and not on its last legs etc...

its always always cheaper to fix your current car that buy another one that will cost £'s more to buy and then depreciate overs the months/years, im not saying yo u have done wrong or anything but im looking at it from the numbers pov

I have just replaced a turbo on a 53 plate golf cost about all in about £450 the car is worth about £600 max but the lad still went ahead with it as the rest of the car is still sound, clutch and cam belt done 2 years ago, new disks & pads and tyres were done in december so he decided to spend the 450 and keep the car rather than spend lots of £'s on a new one

Like i say im not saying you have done anything wrong but i thought i would give you another mse point of view, all the best with it
    People are caught up in an egotistic artificial rat race to display a false image to society. We want the biggest house, fanciest car, and we don't mind paying the sky high mortgage to put up that show. We sacrifice our biggest assets our health and time, We feel happy when we see people look up to us and see how successful we are”

Rat Race
  • Valli
    Options
    I get that; car is shabby though and lots not working on it - remote key has failed (and no, it's not the battery) air con failed and other bits,
    gone are the days when one could tinker with a car and keep it running. Public transport to work is not an option. Definitely on last legs.
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson

Thank you Honey Bear
  • ratrace
    edited 14 April 2019 at 1:03AM
    Options
    I get that; car is shabby though and lots not working on it - remote key has failed (and no, it's not the battery) air con failed and other bits,
    gone are the days when one could tinker with a car and keep it running. Public transport to work is not an option. Definitely on last legs.

Fair Enough. I still love tinkering with cars though its a real passion of mine, All the best with the new motor
    People are caught up in an egotistic artificial rat race to display a false image to society. We want the biggest house, fanciest car, and we don't mind paying the sky high mortgage to put up that show. We sacrifice our biggest assets our health and time, We feel happy when we see people look up to us and see how successful we are”

Rat Race
  • Valli
    Options
    Well fingers now crossed for a cheap fix. DD has sudden (and unexpected) need for a working car.

Thank you Honey Bear
  • Valli
    edited 16 April 2019 at 10:56AM
    Options
    well it's now with a mechanic. It isn't misfiring when just ticking over (which I knew) and he's checked for water in the engine (which there isn't) and checked the cylinder covers (? - or spark plug covers?) also for water - again, none.

So it might be a plug, or the leads, or the coil pack which is what posters have said. Lovely to have had that bit of pre-knowledge so that I didn't feel like a useless girl when I was talking to him! (I am female BTW)

So thank you for your input. Hope I thanked your posts.

Erm - what's an ECU?

Thank you Honey Bear
  • ratrace
    Options
    well it's now with a mechanic. It isn't misfiring when just ticking over (which I knew) and he's checked for water in the engine (which there isn't) and checked the cylinder covers (? - or spark plug covers?) also for water - again, none.

So it might be a plug, or the leads, or the coil pack which is what posters have said. Lovely to have had that bit of pre-knowledge so that I didn't feel like a useless girl when I was talking to him! (I am female BTW)

So thank you for your input. Hope I thanked your posts.

Erm - what's an ECU?

Great good to hear that it does sound like a simple fix

An ecu (Engine control unit) is the cars main computer where all of the information of the car is stored such as secuitry details (they are on the eeprom chip inside the ecu) and it also stores lot and lots of data that the sensors on the car need to see and work correctly etc... its a very important part of the whole and without it, well your car wont run, its a fairly sensitive computer if you will.

it can get damaged by water intrusion or by burning out completely or even partly lol hope you sort of understood that its been a while since my college days....

But on modern cars there are loads of mini computers if you will called modules they do a similar job but are only there to provide information to specific components such as a glow plug module which is only used to controll the glowplugs etc.... yes its very complicated lol

Rat Race
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport