Getting back on the MFW Wagon

Options

Comments

• gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I would be grateful to hear whether anyone has any other categories that they find useful that has not already been included above.
    Dentist? Optician? House (domestic appliances?)
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • Kittenkirst
    Options
    Like Gallygirl, I have opticians/healthcare as a category to cover dentistry, glasses/contact lenses.

The rest sound the same as yours, oh but i also have house insurance in a pot so that I don't feel the sting at renewal (or pay any cheeky interest for monthly instalments).
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • Needhelpsaving
    Needhelpsaving Posts: 1,083 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 17 December 2016 at 7:31AM
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback! - I am ashamed to say that I hadn't even considered dentist/healthcare and home. The ironic thing is that I have to put on glasses before I get out of bed! :rotfl:

I have bulked dentist/opticians and prescriptions together. Thankfully, we are all fairly healthly, so costs on this front tend to be fairly minimal, with only my eye care expenses (i.e. replacement glasses every 2 years) being the biggest cost. I have done £20 a month into this.

I have done the same for home appliances - £20 a month to begin with, but will review once I have funded my first part of the emergency fund (£1500). We have replaced both our washing machine and oven within the last 18 months, but worst case scenario is that we use part of the emergency fund to cover the difference between the replacement fund and the actual cost; then replenish the EF.

I have only been at this for a month, but on reflection, I always thought I was 'beating' the system by picking up loads of 'bargains' - the penny has dropped that the only thing being beaten was my purse.
    2022 Target - Reduce new mortgage balance after house move - Part 1 (Ported) Starting balance £39,982.12 currently £37,242.19 Part 2 Starting Balance £101,997.88 currently £96,197.38 (as at 19/04/2022)
  • Needhelpsaving
    Needhelpsaving Posts: 1,083 Forumite
    edited 21 December 2016 at 7:45AM
    Options
    It's Payday!

Early payday for December, which has perked me up. I was starting to loose my way again a little over the last week, spent more than I had planned on food and personal money, but in spite of this the figures are looking pretty healthy (for me) this morning. :D

Money shuffles have been completed this morning - £496.41 moved to emergency savings and £408.39 moved to fund various savings pots so they are ready for 2017 :j

Money Aims for this week are;

- Claim £14 expenses from work (I put some in yesterday, but managed to forget one).
    - Keep grocery spends to no more than £50 (to cover a week, including visiting rellies).

Thanks to the great advice and inspiration on this board, I have managed to save much more than I usually would and i'm feeling pretty chuffed.

I hope you all have a great Christmas! :xmassign:
    2022 Target - Reduce new mortgage balance after house move - Part 1 (Ported) Starting balance £39,982.12 currently £37,242.19 Part 2 Starting Balance £101,997.88 currently £96,197.38 (as at 19/04/2022)
  • Needhelpsaving
    Options
    As the end of the year is nearing, we have decided to take some time to set our financial goals for 2017;

The agreed goals are;
    - Save £1500 emergency fund by 28/02/2017
    - Pay off Family Loan by 31/07/2017
    - Overpay Mortgage by 5% (£4000)

How are we planning to achieve this?
    - Living on a budget
    - Saving money from both salaries
    - Earning money from secondary sources (market research, Swagbucks, Quidco, Topcashback, Onepoll and overtime).
    - Using Birthday and Xmas money towards clothing and Haircut sinking funds to minimise monthly outgoings.
    - Selling on Ebay

Tonight, I have applied for two market research projects taking place in January 2017 - fingers crossed that I am accepted as they could bring in a combined £170 :o
  • Needhelpsaving
    Options
    Merry Christmas! :rudolf:

A lovely day has been had by all in our household, this year we opted to stay in as a family (just the 3 of us) and it was a nice change of pace being able to decide when we wanted to do things as opposed to rushing around between rellies.

LO has had a great time, at 3 years old, this is the first year that she has really understood what is going on and it was brilliant to see the excitement on her little face.

I was gifted some money from my parents, but as I don't need anything at the minute, I have added this to my clothes saving fund so that it is available for when I do need to replace something.

It's weird, this time last year, I was hitting a few internet sales going in search of a 'bargain' - this year I am not bothered whatsoever and the cancelling of my Next account in the autumn has meant that I have not been enticed by their sale emails.

I feel that the tide is turning money wise in our house - I still have a long way to go and areas that still need to be cut back, but this is a journey and I am reading diaries regularly to pick up hints, tips and inspiration in preparation for the road ahead :D
  • CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,115 Forumite
    Options
    Just popping in to say hello, good luck with your goals :)
    Apr 2024 - part 1 - £30,337 part 2 - £24,811 Total - £55,148 43 months to go!
  • Needhelpsaving
    Options
    Thanks for popping in CathT - it's nice to *meet* you :hello:

Now that I have started to follow a budget, I have started to consider the value of things more.

LO has shot up like a weed and needs a new car seat. I have also concluded that I need to invest more in my oral care in terms of the quality of products I use, hopefully this will pay off in the long run with any dentist bills.

I will see if I can get a car seat via quidco for LO, as her safety is priority - this will come from the car sinking fund - and I have just used the Healthcare and Electrical goods sinking funds to purchase electric toothbrushes for both myself and LO.

Worked 4 hours overtime yesterday, so that's more money for the savings pot in my Jan pay and I am hoping to pick up more OT throughout the month.
  • Needhelpsaving
    Options
    Evening all :D

I have had a lazy day today, reading diaries and plodding along with some basic housework. I must admit that reading about other MFW journeys is inspiring (and possibly a little addictive).

I have found a car seat for LO which has good reviews and is on offer (reduced to £50). Will order this from Halfords via Quidco and pick up on Saturday.

The xmas food has almost run out as I kept the shop quite simple this year (plus half of my freezer was taken up by food for xmas eve family gathering).
    We made the turkey stretch to 3 days meals and everyone has been on board with using up the leftovers :T Have ordered a larger grocery shop than usual to be delivered Friday, this contains extra meat that will be used to fill the freezer. £110 spend.

Personal spends will take a hit tomorrow as taking LO to see a live adaptation of a favourite children's book, followed by a meal deal lunch in town, but I feel this will be money well spent on mummy/daughter time ;)

Hope everyone's week is going well.
  • jules81
    jules81 Posts: 121 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just wanted to say hi,

Like your savings goals

xxxxx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing