divorced 8 years ago

Options
when i divorced 8 years ago , my ex had not let me see my kids in over a year , i capitulated and let her have everything , house , land , every possession i had , just so i could gain access.At the time i was suffering depression and under a CPN .I have struggled financially for all these years . Is there anyway i can challenge the verdict , and if so where do i go for advice.Thanks for any help

Comments

• BAFE
    BAFE Posts: 270 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What is the verdict you wish to challenge?
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,204 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I don't think you have much chance of overturning an order made 8 years ago. Generally, any appeal would need to be made pretty quickly after the order was made.

The exception would be if the order included maintenance, in which case you may be able to apply to change the amount of maintenace you pay going forward.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • northernnic
    Options
    i would like to challenge the fact that i received nothing , not even personal possessions , the marriage lasted 23 years , in which time we worked together in our own care home.
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,317 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Was there a financial agreement that was approved/sealed by the court?
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £460
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • chesky
    chesky Posts: 1,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Did you gain access to the children?
  • northernnic
    Options
    no financial agreement , yes i got access as soon as i gave up and let her have everything
  • seashore22
    seashore22 Posts: 1,443 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You say that you wish to challenge the verdict, but it doesn't sound like you went to court all those years ago. Did you?
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,317 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    no financial agreement , yes i got access as soon as i gave up and let her have everything

If there was no financial agreement approved or ordered by the court then nothing has been officially settled and everything is still up for negotiation.

I suggest you get some legal advice asap.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £460
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,204 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    OK, if you never went to court or signed an agreement, and assuming you haven't since married, you might be able to now make an application, but in deciding what order to make, a court would have to consider what was fair, which would include considering the delay, and any informal or implied agreements you had.
    You will need to get some legal advice
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • northernnic
    Options
    because of my remote location (scotland) , there are only two or three solicitors , who all seem unable to help.Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure