Why aren't Sky trying to win me back?

Options
13»

Comments

• MrsWenger
    MrsWenger Posts: 360 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Got a letter today offering 50% but seemed to suggest this was off one element of package. Went on live chat. Got 50% off everything except HD. Asked for clarification, gave 50% off HD too but said £10 admin fee would have to be paid. Asked why and it was waived. Happy to have full services for £40 per month for 12 months.

Will post this on other threads too as there seems to be a few on a similar topic! :)
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    Kim_13 wrote: »
    Shop around for a Now TV bundle, the box comes bundled with some passes (you can get Sky Cinema) and after that Currys PC World have 3 months for £25.

Standard price is £9.99 though if you go online to cancel, it offers a discount.

Free 14 day trial if you don't put a pass on straight away (you can cancel online as soon as you take it so it just stops working after the 14 days until you use/buy a pass.) Beware the one trial per household rule though, as they'll charge the standard £9.99 for a month if someone's already had the trial.

Be sure to get unlimited downloads broadband if you want to try Now TV.

In case you are interested!

I ended up staying with Sky for just line rental/broadband/phone for £20.49 a month. I considered the Post Office deal at £19 a month and used that to haggle a bit, but decided that £1.49 was a fair price to pay to avoid the hassle of switching and for the benefit of knowing that my internet was reliable (I use it for work and have had no problems with Sky.)

Got myself a Now TV smart box today for £19.99 from Argos with a 3 month entertainment package included and a voucher for one movie from the Sky Store.

My question is... the cards from Currys etc. for the passes, can you use more than one? Or are they like introductory offers and you have to go with the standard price after that? It seems crazy that if you let the Sky Cinema pass roll over its £9.99 a month, but if you cancel it and immediately use a new card, its only £7.50!

I'm impressed with the box, would definitely recommend to anybody who only really has a TV in order to watch movies on it, as I do.
  • Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    In case you are interested!

I ended up staying with Sky for just line rental/broadband/phone for £20.49 a month. I considered the Post Office deal at £19 a month and used that to haggle a bit, but decided that £1.49 was a fair price to pay to avoid the hassle of switching and for the benefit of knowing that my internet was reliable (I use it for work and have had no problems with Sky.)

Got myself a Now TV smart box today for £19.99 from Argos with a 3 month entertainment package included and a voucher for one movie from the Sky Store.

My question is... the cards from Currys etc. for the passes, can you use more than one? Or are they like introductory offers and you have to go with the standard price after that? It seems crazy that if you let the Sky Cinema pass roll over its £9.99 a month, but if you cancel it and immediately use a new card, its only £7.50!

I'm impressed with the box, would definitely recommend to anybody who only really has a TV in order to watch movies on it, as I do.

As far as I know you can use more than one.

Threatening to cancel via the online option used to get a 50% discount. See what they offer via taking the Movies trial and cancelling it if no one at the address has already had the trial. It may turn out that threatening to cancel every time your 'special offer' is up is cheaper than buying the passes.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    Kim_13 wrote: »
    As far as I know you can use more than one.

Threatening to cancel via the online option used to get a 50% discount. See what they offer via taking the Movies trial and cancelling it if no one at the address has already had the trial. It may turn out that threatening to cancel every time your 'special offer' is up is cheaper than buying the passes.

Thanks for the tip, will definitely give that a try. Its what I do with audible, never paid full price for that!
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    Out of interest, the best price that Sky would offer me was £48 per month, for unlimited broadband, line rental, basic TV and Sky Cinema (same as I was on before paying £32).

Total of £576 for the year.

Cutting back to just broadband/phone with Sky at £21.49pm, a one off cost of £19.99 for the Now TV box, I'll end up paying only £7.50pm for Sky Cinema using the cards (maybe less if they do offer 50% off).

Total of £367.87 for the year at most, in reality could well be £337.87.

Makes a lot of sense if you can get the content you want on Now TV. I'm not bothered about box sets, or the pay channels, or sport, I'm just a film nerd!
  • Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    £17.99 for a box and 4 months' movies: http://www.argos.co.uk/product/4536886

Could sell/give away the spare box.
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,594 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I considered the Post Office deal at £19 a month and used that to haggle a bit, but decided that £1.49 was a fair price to pay to avoid the hassle of switching and for the benefit of knowing that my internet was reliable (I use it for work and have had no problems with Sky.)

You can do much better than £19 a month if you look around. In the MSE cheap broadband news, plusnet is equivalent to £14.83 with cashback.

Even that is more expensive than I'd pay.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    phillw wrote: »
    You can do much better than £19 a month if you look around. In the MSE cheap broadband news, plusnet is equivalent to £14.83 with cashback.

Even that is more expensive than I'd pay.

What do you pay then?

I never count cashback in my budgeting, you can't guarantee you'll ever see it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure