Options

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    shaneyray1 wrote: »
    Thanks for replies.
    With the rejection letter Santander have attached a copy of the application to open the account . Which I didn't have. All the information boxes regarding employment status, marital status etc have a line through them. Of course the PPI box has been ticked.
    So, all the information they had was my name, address, telephone number and signature; the rest has been scribbled out.
    Would this constitute new evidence/ have any bearing on the case, or should I bin the letter and carry on enjoying my spare time ?

How is that new information/evidence if it was included with your rejection letter? Santander had it when making their decision. So, it is not new evidence.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Afrogirl
    Options
    Hi All, I just wanted to share my experience with you. I read about the Store cards PPI and have previously tried & been unsuccessful in claiming PPI back for my Debenhams, Dorothy Perkins & Evans Store cards, this was in 2013!!

I decided to give it another go as I had been reading a lot of things in the press recently regarding store cards. All of my cards were sold to me in 1995 / 96.

On 20th March 2017 I decided to ring Santander after realising they brought GE Captial Banks out and are responsible for all three of my store cards. The number I rang is their dedicated store card PPI number: 0800 171 2171.

The person I spoke to was helpful and was able (very quickly) to find my account information as I had my old statements with the card numbers on, starting with 6000. She said "it looks like there is something on there!"

I made it clear that I felt I has been mis-sold PPI for the following reasons:
    1) I was just asked to sign a form at the till point and told my card would be with me in 2 weeks.
    2) I was not told about the PPI being added to my account, in fact it was never mentioned.
    3) Subsequently for the next 18 years I was not told PPI was on my account or that it was optional.
    4) When I "purchased" the PPI I was full time employed but lived at home with my parents.
    5) My job gave me 12 months full pay if I were to be sick, then 6 months half pay.
    6) I had a lot of savings because at the time I was saving to purchase my first house and could have cleared any debt immediately if required to do so.
    7) My parents would have bailed me out if I had got into financial difficulty (I was spoilt!!)

So follows Santanders completely baffling processes.......................

I was told all of the investigations would take 8 weeks.

On 25th March (5 days after I made my initial complaint) I received an offer for the mis-sold PPI on my Debenhams store card of................... £13,497.52!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have also received two letters from Santander asking for more information regarding my Dorothy Perkins & Evans store cards (I've sent them statements that I still have!!)

So I'm still waiting to hear about my two other store cards but I would strongly suggest that you all get phoning that dedicated store card PPI number: 0800 171 2171.

I have accepted the offer of £13,497.52 and it was credited to my bank account yesterday!! So in total PPI refund received within 9 days from start to finish!!!!

So keep going & good luck!!!

I have my fingers crossed for all of you xxx
  • janfarr
    Options
    Thanks Afrogirl just read your post.....will be definitely giving them a ring!:)
  • lesleyp118
    lesleyp118 Posts: 24 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Afrogirl. I may just dig out what I've got for Debenhams and see if I can get anywhere. Have been dithering because I'd expected it to be difficult, but let's see...
  • SianeL
    SianeL Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    I phoned Santander 28th February this year to ask if they could give me the account number for a Debenhams account I'd closed some years ago and the delightful lady on the other end of the phone asked me a few question and said yes. She then informed me that she could see that I'd had insurance on the account and did I think that it had been miss-sold to me, I informed her that I was in full time employment in 1990 and would have received full pay for up to 12 months should I have been ill but said you can look into for for me as I had no idea about the insurance. This prompted me to look further and I contacted Genworth/AXA to see if they had any information.
    2 weeks later I received a letter form Santander informing me that they had no record of ppi attached to the account and enclosed a copy of the original Consumer Credit Agreement signed by me at the time indicating that ppi was not required. No surprise there so I filed the letter in my keep for 12 months file.

On the 12th April I received a letter form AXA apologising for the delay in responding to my ppi complaint and that they would try to give me a reply within the next 4 weeks if they could get Santander to reply to them. This prompted me to take a good look at the copy of the Consumer Credit Agreement Santander had sent me using a magnifying glass so that I could read it, only to find that section 8 relating to ppi reads :-

[8.For your protection
    I understand that optional payment protection insurance as described in the attached leaflet is available in connection with this account and will be provided (subject to availability) unless I initial the box below.
    Payment Protection is not required
    The box is empty.

Phoned AXA 10th May and they confirmed that Santander had also informed them that ppi was not on the account.

I phoned Santander for clarification and the man on the phone said '….. but you didn't tick the box'. I explained that the box didn't need a tick and that I'd been informed in February that there was insurance on the account. He said 'no you were not, you would have been told 'there may be insurance on the account' that's what we are told to say'. I replied that I must have been one of the lucky ones when the application was processed.

Be interesting to know if any other customer of Debenhams for the 1980/90's have take a good look at their Credit Agreement and been as lucky as I appear to have been.
    Get looking at your agreement!

As suggested by AXA I've sent copies of everything to the Ombudsman Service, you never know.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    SianeL wrote: »
    I've sent copies of everything to the Ombudsman Service, you never know.
    So you didn't have PPI. You have written confirmation of this.

Even if the call centre operator did (mistakenly) tell you that there was insurance on the account, you won't be getting a refund of anything you didn't pay.

Sending all of this to the Ombudsman Service is a waste of their time.
  • SianeL
    Options
    Moneyineptitude I posted to highlight that the copy of the Credit Agreement Santander sent me shows that ppi was on the card and was wondering if anyone had the same agreement where you had to opt-out with a signature.

The tick box Santander say I'd not tick is nowhere to be seen on the agreement.
    I was also wondering how many other people had missed the opt-out box and been told they didn't have ppi on their account, if its' only me then we have to put it down to a clerical error (in my favour) at the time of my original application.

My initial phone call to Santander had nothing to do with ppi it was they who instigated the investigation

I was advised by AXA (who by the way are not able to get any information from Santander) to contact the Ombudsman, I think I'd best send them your observation to save them advising others to wast the Ombudsman time!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I was advised by AXA (who by the way are not able to get any information from Santander) to contact the Ombudsman, I think I'd best send them your observation to save them advising others to wast the Ombudsman time!
    You already have written confirmation that you don't have PPI. Everything else you have detailed is irrelevant. AXA advised you to go to the Ombudsman because they themselves have no liability and doubtless wanted rid of you.

By all means refer "everything" to the Ombudsman Service, but expect nothing and you won't be disappointed. :)
  • SianeL
    Options
    "By all means refer "everything" to the Ombudsman Service, but expect nothing and you won't be disappointed"

I certainly won't be disappointed as I had no expectation in the first place.
    This has nothing to do with claiming money for me but all to do with the wording on the agreement - leaving the box empty ppi on the account - put a signature in the box NO ppi on the account but lots who have been turned down by Santander may not have noticed this.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    but lots who have been turned down by Santander may not have noticed this.
    Seems like a non-complaint to me, doubtless the Ombudsman Service will react similarly.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback