Default placed by Lowell - no idea about debt?

Options
Hi all,

This weekend i checked my experian credit report after being declined a balance transfer credit card, i already checked my equifax report which showed i had an excellent rating so was confused as to why it was rejected. Anyway, when checking Experian, there was a £205 default from Lowell. I have absolutely no idea what it is for.

After reading a few posts on this site, i thought i would add my story to this thread to plot the progress (if any). First thing i did was have Experian follow up with them, Lowell came back to say that the "Default is reporting correctly as satisfied."

I'm still none the wiser...So yesterday sent an email their complaints address (complaintsresolution@lowellgroup.co.uk ) I have been polite and asked for information of the original lender so i can follow up with them if required.

Not sure how long i need to wait on a response, i saw on another thread that they have 6 weeks before we can go to the ombudsman.

Anyway, all advice welcomed!

Comments

• Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Have you checked your Call Credit file as well?

The free versions to check your credit files are below:
    Experian: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/creditclub
    Equifax: https://www.clearscore.com
    Call Credit: https://www.noddle.co.uk

What date was the default applied? Can you not think back to what it might possibly be for?
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • bluenoze22
    bluenoze22 Posts: 27 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Candyapple wrote: »
    Have you checked your Call Credit file as well?

The free versions to check your credit files are below:
    Experian: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/creditclub
    Equifax: https://www.clearscore.com
    Call Credit: https://www.noddle.co.uk

What date was the default applied? Can you not think back to what it might possibly be for?

No idea what it could be, shows the default as being added June 2014. Going to check call credit on the back of your advice!
  • bluenoze22
    Options
    bluenoze22 wrote: »
    No idea what it could be, shows the default as being added June 2014. Going to check call credit on the back of your advice!

Got my report at call credit showing as Poor! Only 2 things i can see are them not having me on the electoral roll (which i can rectify) and this lowell debt! Everything else seems normal.
  • Candyapple
    Options
    I wouldn't waste my time with e-mail, write to Lowells and ask them for proof of debt / who the original lender was and how it came to be for £205. Send it via recorded delivery.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • bluenoze22
    Options
    Sounds like a plan...Ill copy and past my mail which pretty much asks those questions!
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Candyapple wrote: »
    I wouldn't waste my time with e-mail, write to Lowells and ask them for proof of debt / who the original lender was and how it came to be for £205. Send it via recorded delivery.
    Why do you need to ask proof of debt? Bluenose said it had been recorded as SATISFIED so there is no debt, it has been paid. Bluenose, do you not remember paying £205 to Lowells?
    Paying a debt does not remove the default, which was factually correct, it just gets marked as satisfied, meaning the debt has been paid.
  • bluenoze22
    Options
    nic_c wrote: »
    Why do you need to ask proof of debt? Bluenose said it had been recorded as SATISFIED so there is no debt, it has been paid. Bluenose, do you not remember paying £205 to Lowells?
    Paying a debt does not remove the default, which was factually correct, it just gets marked as satisfied, meaning the debt has been paid.

Hi there - This is what I am trying to figure out, as I've never received default letters.

Randomly the only thing I can think of from this time is a car parking ticket that I took to small courts (lost case) and that was for around £200 - But didn't think that would show as a credit default :/ and especially take 4yrs to show as settled!
  • Candyapple
    Options

Regardless of the debt being satisfied or outstanding, he still needs to know how the debt was acquired / default placed on his files in the first place. And since the debt collectors (Lowell) own the debt / placed the default, they are the ones he needs to ask to prove the debt existed in the first place in order to see if he can get the default removed.
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options

Because given Lowells incompetence, there is a fair chance this was never the OP's debt in the first place. Lowell placing false defaults due to mistracing is not uncommon.
    bluenoze22 wrote: »
    Hi there - This is what I am trying to figure out, as I've never received default letters.

Randomly the only thing I can think of from this time is a car parking ticket that I took to small courts (lost case) and that was for around £200 - But didn't think that would show as a credit default :/ and especially take 4yrs to show as settled!

Could only be a CCJ not a default recorded for that.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • bluenoze22
    Options
    fermi wrote: »
    Could only be a CCJ not a default recorded for that.

My thoughts exactly!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport